• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The BUSSA NOVA STORY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

I was preparing for my visit to the 1996 edition of the NORTH SEA JAZZ FESTIVAL.

One of the artists to perform was Kevyn Lettau with her own band, but there was another band to appear at last minute.The great late LIONEL HAMPTON was supposed to perform but his concert was canceled due to his illness at the time, so, another band was called up instead at last minute; SERGIO MENDES AND BRASIL 99.

I went went first to Sergio’s performance with drummer Michael Shapiro in the drivers seat, along with Mea-Noite and Kevin Richard on percussion, James East (the brother of Nathan East?) on bass, Kleber Jorge on guitars, Bill Brendle and Sergio on keyboards and the lovely singers Gracinha Leporace, Carol Rogers and to my suprise MARIETTA WATERS!

The performance was marvelous, clean and smooth but has to my humble opinion bit reggea-orientated sound before they went into the Jobim-medley
They played, amongst others the songs: Indiado, Magalena. Rio de Janeiro, Thrihlos Urbanos, Balafon, Mas que Nada, Fool on the Hill, Look of Love and a fine Bahian orientated percussion interlude with Mea-Noite in as percussionist in the centerpoint.

The Kevyn Lettau Set was nice with a pulsating husband Michael Shapiro in the drivers seat, along with Brazilian ace guitarist Ricardo Silveira, Jerry Watts on bass and Mitchell Forman on keys as band leader in an simple but effective performance.

So, i enjoyed two concerts , and outside their was a bus a big bus with with a big logo: BUSSA NOVA, BUSSA NOVA.
The whole Brazilian/American MENDES/LETTAU group (Sergio with his two youngest sons) went into that BUSSANOVA bus to drive up to France for more performances! What a connections!!

All the best Aqua do Brasil

Yeah, back in '96 when I was doing Guest Relations work for Tokyo Disneyland, we went to the Blue Note one weekend to see Sergio Mendes & Brasil '99. I was also surprised to see Marietta Waters in the line-up. Gracinha and Carol joined her on vocals. Michael was there on drums as well. :wink:

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom