• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Corrs on the Today Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
A reminder for those interested, The Corrs will be appearing on The Today Show on NBC this Friday, July 23rd. The show airs 7a-10a EDT, check local listings.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3032633/?ta=y

Harry
...awaiting The Corrs on our shores, online...

Harry,

I had what I thought was an interesting "Corrs Experience" here in Japan. I was out shopping and walked past an electronics shop and saw a huge HDTV monitor showing what I thought was the Corrs -- two beautiful women with violins. So I popped in to check it out and admire the HDTV picture and the fabulous surround sound of what was a very exciting concert. But it didn't take long to realize I was not watching The Corrs. This was four women (no brother) all playing strings and they were just as hot and sexy (maybe even hotter and sexier than) The Corrs.

Anyway, I walked out of there wanting to know more about this quartet. My Japanese is still very rusty so I was not able to learn much about the name of this group from the non-engrish speaking staff. Well, yesterday I found out the name... They're called BOND. And I recommend them to anyone who likes that sort of inbetween classical-pop music (like Kronos Quartet, 'cept you can dance to it). Easy on the eyes, too!

--Mr Bill
abandoning any attempt to make a James Bond joke here, shaken, stirred or otherwise...

So that is where BOND went to .....Japan :o

Were touted as next big thing in Uk over last two years ....done reasonably well ....but mixture of styles makes this act less accessible to mass market promotion :confused:

Peter

Watched the corrs on the "Today" show this morning - they were great! They played 3 songs - "Breathless" - "Summer Sunshine" - "Angel" Missed seeing Caroline Corr on drums as she's expecting. Interesting how they've been on the "Today" show several times, but I don't remember seeing them on any other tv show? Although I'm sure they have been. Maybe they have an "exclusive" deal with the Corrs or they just know great talent!! Tim

They've also in the past done Good Morning America, Leno, Saturday Night Live, Rosie O'Donnell and Conan O'Brien among others. There's even an episode of Beverly Hills, 90210 from around 1997 with some very young Corrs playing at a New Years Eve party and at midnight they sing "Auld Lang Syne."

As things stand now, though, that's it. The Corrs flew in here for yesterday's show and flew right back home - probably for some time off around Jim's birthday. Keep an eye on Leno though, since they'll be heading out west for the first part of their tour in early August, and they'll be coming back to New York for a special WPLJ-sponsored concert for listeners only.

Yesterday, I sat in amazement when they first started playing "Breathless." I think I must have at least four different Today Show appearances of them singing "Breathless." I suppose that was intended to be some kind of 'comfort-food' for those in the audience who've forgotten who The Corrs are. That said, I actually enjoyed the arrangement of the song, which this time included one of those 'stop-most-of-the-backing-and-let-the-lead-singer-be-out-front-with-just-a-beat-going-for-a-couple-of-lines' moments.

You can see the whole Today Show appearance at the MSNBC site where the video is archived:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3041478/

Or you can download them from Brodo's fan site at:

http://www.brodo.net/Corrs/Videos/Videos.html

Harry
...who really missed seeing Caroline at the drums, online...

Thanks Harry for the link to the video files from the Today Show. I forgot to set my VCR, so I'm happy to have these files! :)

Harry said:
they'll be coming back to New York for a special WPLJ-sponsored concert for listeners only.

Isn't it ironic that the NY concert you mention is on the SAME night that the Edmonton concert was to be held, until they cancelled it with NO explanation... well, now at least I know why it was cancelled - they obviously got a better offer... :rolleyes:

IMHO, the band and management handled the (now down to only 2 stops) Canadian tour VERY badly :!: They cancelled most of the concerts after tickets were already on sale, without any explanation whatsoever. The least they could have done was issued a press release apologizing to the fans in each of those cities, many of whom had already booked flights and hotels. Or they could have posted an explanation and apology on their official website... but wait, the official website hasn't been updated in months, and still lists all of the cancelled concerts, and links to where to purchase tickets! Have the Corrs abandoned the website?

If the concerts were cancelled, as most of us Canadian fans suspect, due to slow ticket sales, the Corrs only have themselves to blame. They can't disappear from the music scene for a few years and expect the average person to remember who they are, especially considering that they have done absolutely NO promotion here. They could have done a quick promo tour, appeared on a few morning talk shows (especially "Canada AM", which is our equivalent of the Today Show, and which also features mini concerts on the program), held a few CD signing sessions at record stores - just whatever they could to make themselves visible and create a buzz about the new CD and concert tour. Canadians may be few in number, but we are very loyal to bands who spend time here, and show that they give a damn about us...

Come to think of it, the Carpenters would have been a lot more popular here if they had once deemed us worthy of a concert tour. They gave hundreds of concerts in the USA, many of them at colleges and state fairs in places with far fewer people than where I live. But the number of concerts they gave in Canada I could probably count on one hand, and most of those were in Toronto...

Harry said:
Harry
...who really missed seeing Caroline at the drums, online...

That's my only consolation about my concert being cancelled. If/when I ever get the opportunity to see the Corrs in concert, I want to see ALL of the Corrs. I haven't watched the Today show files yet (still downloading), but I'm sure that the music won't sound the same without her, especially the harmony vocals. :sad:

Murray
...who's still a loyal fan, inspite of it all...

It is rather disappointing the way the Canadian concerts were summarily dumped, and it's rather puzzling as to the manner in which it's all been handled.

I think Caroline's pregnancy has put a damper on a lot of their plans, though they seem to be going ahead with the fourth-quarter dates in Europe, and to my knowledge haven't cancelled any of the US tour.

The Corrs are pretty good about making things up to their fans, so perhaps next year ALL of them will be around both the USA and Canada. We can only hope.

Harry
...happy he travelled halfway around the world in 2001 to catch two full Corrs concerts, online...

Harry said:
They've also in the past done Good Morning America, Leno, Saturday Night Live, Rosie O'Donnell and Conan O'Brien among others.

Didn't catch the "Today Show" appearance (though I agree that it just wouldn't seem the same without Caroline behind the drums), but I'm still reeling from their performance of "So Young" on "Saturday Night Live" years back. That was awesome! Sounded even better than it does on record!
Was hoping they'd be back on at the end of this past "SNL" season to promote BORROWED HEAVEN, but, sadly, no luck. But then I can't remember the last time "SNL" actually had a musical-guest on that I liked. Norah Jones, maybe???

Jeff F.
... wishing there were an official audio release of the Corrs' "SNL" performance ...

Just wanted to say thanks for the links Harry, I downloaded these clips. I didn't get to see them when they aired on the Today Show so this was great to see. Cool to hear Angel "live". I can't tell from the audience if they were really into the Corrs or just acting goofy when the camera pans cause there on tv?

..and don't forget, The Corrs will be appearing this week on THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO, Tuesday (early Wednesday), August 10th (11th) on NBC - check your local listings. Typically, musical guests are last on the show, so they'll likely be on slightly prior to 12:30 AM Eastern Time.

Harry
...with a VCR alert, online...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Just wanted to say thanks for the links Harry, I downloaded these clips. I didn't get to see them when they aired on the Today Show so this was great to see. Cool to hear Angel "live". I can't tell from the audience if they were really into the Corrs or just acting goofy when the camera pans cause there on tv?

I've still not actually seen the whole of "Angel" from this broadcast. I watched the first two songs just before 9 AM, then took off for work. I put it on at work to see the last song and was interrupted by something-or-other, so I didn't get to see it.

I taped it of course, but haven't managed to find the time to watch the tape!

Harry
...pressed for time, online...

Well those clips are excellent, thank goodness for high speed access, that 40MB clip of Angel only took about 3 min :D But watching it on my PC was too cool, almost as clear as the original broadcast on tv.

..who wishes he had a DVD(r) on his PC to record & capture video, online..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom