The good old days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captaindave

I just was watching my Beat of the Brass video while typing some of these posts...

You know, listening to some of that music, and watching the video, makes me really nostalgic for the old days when all the TJB music and sound was current. Here I am, looking at it as some kind of "historical artifact." And, I do remember when it was all new and just being released.

And, here we are, waiting for reissues...I remember going in to the store and buying the albums when they were new and in the contemporary Top 40 record bins...

It's sort of freaky to sit here and watch it while my mind roams backward in time to the days when it was all new and contemporary. I can associate so many memories with it.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone... :shock:

"This is Capt. Dave, age late 40's. A man trapped in a futuristic world where music has lost all the characteristics he associates with it. Melody, texture, emotion. This is Capt. Dave's TV set. He is currently watching a video of a very famous trumpet player who was the epitome of all things music. The spirit, the emotion, the catchy melody. In just a few weeks, a reissue project from this gifted trumpeter will propel Capt. Dave from the throes of boredom into the grand ballroom of.......The Twilight Zone!

Dave Serling,
From the episode "Feb. 8th- The Day The Music Was Reborn"

I am ready to take this journey, to enter the "grandest" of ballrooms...the only thing is...I wish it were late 40's...it's actually 53...so, for that, is this one better :D or this one :sad: ?

Sometime in the mid '60s...

Memory One:

Two 4-track tape boxes.

One has a picture of a dark-haired man in an archway, a beautiful brunette looks up to him with desire.

The other has the same dark-haired man sitting in a open cockpit airplane, a beautiful 'Karen Philipp' lookalike in fishnet stockings holds a tray of champagne; she looks up at him with glee.

Dad removes the reel from the 4-track box. He carefully threads the machine; one reel to another. He hits the 'play' button. The room comes alive!!

Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass!!

What Now My Love & Going Places!!!

Memory Two:

Sometime in the late '60s.

The Circle Star Theater in Redwood City, California.

Sitting on Dad's lap, watching the dark-haired man and his band play the same kind of music that's on the 4-track tapes.

Again...Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass!!!

Memories of a lifetime!!!! :D

Jon

...in the Twilight Zone along with David...

It's April 1968. I remember being admitted into the school's marching band as a nine year old, after one and a half year of training on the baritone horn. The first piece of music in front of me is called "The Mexican Shuffle". Below the title with smaller letters it says: "A Herb Alpert Arrangement". Strange name, I think. On TV a few days later I recognize the same name and see and hear him play his trumpet. What a great sound! I am caught...

- greetings from the north -
Martin

My first TJB memory is hearing it on a 4-track cartridge tape in a boat. We used to go boating with a bunch of other families on the Yellowstone River, and one of the other dads had a 4-track stereo in his boat. (The man was also the owner of the Roxy Theatre at the time, which I ended up buying years later.) Anyway, he had the WHIPPED CREAM album on the machine and we tooled around the river listening.

The next place I heard the Brass was on one of the TV specials, the one featuring "Tijuana Taxi." After that, I was a fan. I bought the GOING PLACES album for my mom for Mother's Day and wound up listening to it repeatedly myself. The first LP I bought on my own was WHAT NOW MY LOVE.

I also eventually got the LP "Music Box" which has 4 TJB songs on it, along with "Look Around" by Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66. That was my intro to Mendes, and I have been a fan of both groups ever since.

I remember bringing my new "South of the Border" LP to third grade class at my Catholic school so we could listen while we did homework (they actually let us do that!). It was the first time I can ever remember seeing one of the nuns dance! :D

hello people.
my memory of the tjb is the first time in 1965 watching them on the ed sullivan show playing a taste of honey and the 3rd man theme. right there I got starting listing to the tjb. wish I had a copy of that video either on VHS or DVD. we had a black and white tv at the time. so I do not know if that was in color or not. then I found out they had 3 other albums out before so my parents bought those.and to this day, I listen to the tjb and now play the trumpet since 1968 when I started taking lessons.
bob

bob said:
my memory of the tjb is the first time in 1965 watching them on the ed sullivan show playing a taste of honey and the 3rd man theme. right there I got starting listing to the tjb. wish I had a copy of that video either on VHS or DVD. we had a black and white tv at the time. so I do not know if that was in color or not.

That's likely where I saw the TjB first too, reinforced by their appearance on the Grammy show that year (or was it '66?)- also doing "A Taste Of Honey" and then as their new song, "What Now My Love."

The Ed Sullivan Show in 1965 was almost surely in black & white, since it was on CBS. The benchmark year for color was 1966. That was the year that almost all primetime shows went to color, regardless of network. The prior year, CBS and ABC were virtually all black & white, while NBC was spearheading the way with many color broadcasts. Fall 1966 was when the other networks played "catch-up", throwing virtually all shows into color.

Harry

My intro to the TJB was through my older brother. Late 1965 or early '66, Hondo, New Mexico. Mom and Dad had gone to a PTA meeting for the evening, leaving us two goofy 9 & 11-year-olds at home to get into all kinds of mischief, so brother Bill put two versions of "A Taste of Honey" on the record player--Al Hirt's and the much more famous TJB version, on which Hirt's arrangement is based--so we could "play" along with the band on our "trumpets": a wooden ruler with a round-head clothespin attached to one end as a mouthpiece! I was hooked on the Brass and have stayed so ever since...but still can't even get a squeak out of a clothespin-and-ruler horn....

Mike A

Captaindave said:
I just was watching my Beat of the Brass video while typing some of these posts...

You know, listening to some of that music, and watching the video, makes me really nostalgic for the old days when all the TJB music and sound was current. Here I am, looking at it as some kind of "historical artifact." And, I do remember when it was all new and just being released.

And, here we are, waiting for reissues...I remember going in to the store and buying the albums when they were new and in the contemporary Top 40 record bins...

It's sort of freaky to sit here and watch it while my mind roams backward in time to the days when it was all new and contemporary. I can associate so many memories with it.

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone... :shock:

Nah... :bandit: it's the TIJUANA ZONE....

I remember the first time I heard the TJB...it was in the winter of 1965, and the album was WHIPPED CREAM...some friends had a copy, borrowed, and they were all upset about the cover, thinking it was in poor taste. I was 11 at the time, and naturally thought it was pretty cool...none of us knew that Dolores was 3 months preggo at the time the cover photo was taken...

But it didn't matter...the music just blew me away...and it still sends chills up my spine today. It was fresh and imaginative music, very colorful...and it was designed to make a person take notice of it...you can't just hear it...you HAVE to listen to it...it just says something to you. Maybe SEDUCTIVE is the word I'm looking for...it draws you in, somehow...I remember that the first time I heard LOLLIPOPS AND ROSES, which was the first time I heard the song, I wanted to kiss somebody...and I was only 11...nobody to kiss but my little sister, no way THAT was gonna happen!

Dan

Any chance of getting a hold of a copy of Beat of the Brass video.
I have The Best of Herb Alpert video perhaps could do a swap

Regards Slick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom