• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Karen Carpenter Story (Laserdisc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yes, that is a great price especially sealed. I would imagine if you had bought it new when it was released it would have been at least $29.99 or maybe slightly higher so after all this time to find a sealed copy that's a great price.

Maybe you could add this info to the database with pics.

What I like too about this is the fact it's really the Carpenters music in the movie.

I wonder how they were able to re create the big Carpenters logo on the concert scene.

Richard's vitriol concerning what this movie became has been well documented. Given that he hates it, it'll probably be released on DVD right after we get those television specials.

Ed

When you see the crowd of neighbors gathered outside the Carpenter home as Karen is brought out to the ambulance, you can see Richard's wife Mary and their then infant daughter Kristi among the neighbors.

Really? Didn't know that, time for another look. ^^^

If you notice on the back cover of the laserdisc it shows Weintraub entertainment. So this was the famous Jerry Weintraub, correct? I'm surprised that Richard lost control over how this movie was made and why it wasn't made the way he wanted considering his clout and others on the project.

When you see the crowd of neighbors gathered outside the Carpenter home as Karen is brought out to the ambulance, you can see Richard's wife Mary and their then infant daughter Kristi among the neighbors.

Here's the clip at 1m21s....I've looked a few times and don't see Mary at all. Only a woman with brunette hair.

Hmmm. I think it's in the Coleman book. Maybe I saw a picture of her holding the baby in that scene in the book and it was cut from the movie. They used the real neighbors as neighbors in the film. I could have sworn it was in the actual movie. Senior moment.:doh:

You may be right, they could be in the movie somewhere, there are lots of shots of crowds in the movie, watching them at the 'Hollywood Bowl' performance etc. I'll keep my eyes peeled next time I watch it :wink:

I'm pretty sure it was that scene - it must have been cut. If you have the Coleman book handy, you could look it up.

I'm still looking for this picture. I reviewed the Coleman Book, Little Girl Blue and Yesterday Once More and didn't find it there. Perhaps it was included in a televised bio? It will bother me until I find it! Anyone have a clue?

A note to add to this thread, that Richard was actually against the film being released on LASER DISC, and went to great legal lengths to prohibit it from reaching the shelves.

I'm still looking for this picture. I reviewed the Coleman Book, Little Girl Blue and Yesterday Once More and didn't find it there. Perhaps it was included in a televised bio? It will bother me until I find it! Anyone have a clue?

Having checked the book and film, I think it's safe to say this didn't happen. Mary and the kids are not featured in the movie.

I think maybe someone's confused the fact that Mary appears in the "I Need To Be In Love" video.

Harry

Well, y'all have me thinking I'm losing my mind. It was Mary with baby Kristi on her hip. Some day it will turn up. :bangwall:

I finally got around to transferring the LaserDisc version over to DVD. For comparison, here's the same picture from above taken from the LaserDisc.

vlcsnap-2013-07-02-16h23m41s85.jpg

Harry

Harry, you should incorporate the Richard blurp speaking about Karen's illness from your VHS tape of CBS onto your DVD copy you made from the Laserdisc then you would have a complete official copy with everything, then you could toss out the VHS tape. :agree:

You know we watched the LaserDisc today as it was dubbing and it was really nice having the whole thing in real stereo. Even by the 1988-89 showing on CBS, our CBS affiliate was still broadcasting everything in fake stereo. Also nice was not having commercials interrupting the proceedings, and no announcer talking over the end credits.

And maybe you're right - maybe I'll tack on the CBS Movie opening and the Read More About It ending onto one DVD. Should be easy enough to do.

Harry

I noticed this advert on ebay about The Karen Carpenter Story and I don't remember this photo shot used in the movie...then again I haven't watched it for awhile but I thought this advert photo of Cynthia Gibb looked a lot like Karen (when she permed her hair in 81) if you quickly glance at it...it took me for a second as Karen. Does anyone know if this photo shot was actually used in the movie and at what point? The outfit Cynthia is wearing doesn't remind me of anything I remember in the movie.

Also it says this movie was up for an Emmy?

$(KGrHqJ,!ngFHPH4)9U(BR25L6JrHg~~60_57.JPG

Listing:

Further to Harry's screenshot of Richard in the background, there was also this clumsy error during a close up of Cynthia at the drums in the same scene where she's playing along to 'This Masquerade'. It only appears for a split second and then is gone again, but whose hand is that?? :rolleyes:

kc.jpg

I may be wrong ( and oftentimes I am!) but I believe that the movie was not nominated for an Emmy,
just that the Weintraub Production Company was placing ads and vying for a nomination with the committee.

The Karen Carpenter Story was nominated for one Emmy: Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Miniseries or a Special. If you ask me, Louis Fletcher should have been nominated for her role as Agnes Carpenter.

Louise has always unnerved me. From Cuckoos Nest, Flowers in the Attic to the abominable Agnes. Fletcher pulls no punches. Certainly provided worthy insight and being approved by RC. Ouch of a "lady".

Jeff

James, that is interesting! And, quite frankly, given the exceptional use of Carpenters music throughout the movie,
and Louise Fletcher's performance, those are about the only redeeming qualities of the movie for me.

Jeff, I totally agree with you about Louise. Her casting must have unnerved Agnes. No doubt, a great actress.

Gary, I couldn't agree with you more. I'm thrilled that the original music was used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom