The Little Things That Make a Track Extra Special

ringves

Been listening to the Carpenters' recordings of "Yesterday Once More" and "Superstar" recently. The Carpenters' attention to detail is well known and I thought I would mention a couple of things that jump out at me when I listen to these recordings. I will admit: these are minute details, but they make the recordings extra special IMHO.

First, in YOM, consider the line "Makes today seem rather sad". When Karen sings the word "sad", you can hear a certain inflection in her voice. If you didn't speak English, you might actually be able to guess the meaning of the word simply by listening to the way that she pronounces it. Now THAT is attention to detail!

Second example - something that passes quickly but really adds to the sombre mood of "Superstar" - is the addition which Richard made in the RPO version of this song at the 2:40-mark of the recording. There's a rather discordant sound coming from the RPO string section which lasts just two to three seconds. I'm not sure what this technique is called, but it sounds like the string players are sliding down from one note to another. Whatever it's called, it effectively propels us back to the chorus. Again, a great example of attention to detail.

I've always felt that Richard's deep voice on the word DOWN towards the end of "Top of the World" was rather clever! Also the slight pause at the end of "Rainy Days and Mondays" is memorable and I like when Richard clenches his fist to silence the band in concert during the same moment.

I've always felt that Richard's deep voice on the word DOWN towards the end of "Top of the World" was rather clever! Also the slight pause at the end of "Rainy Days and Mondays" is memorable and I like when Richard clenches his fist to silence the band in concert during the same moment.

To this day, good friends of mine still impersonate Richard on that 'Down!' moment when we get talking about the Carpenters, and we always laugh about it. Yes it's a gimmick, but it shows that it stuck and it's become a memory for some people.

I know they didn't invent it, but I always liked when a song would segue into another one on an album. Richard always knew when that was or wasn't a good idea.

The nicest one he ever came up with was the segue between Crystal Lullaby, Road Ode and A Song For You (Reprise). Those ten minutes or so are the absolute highlight of that album, especially the tinkling sound between the first two songs, like wind chimes. My definition of music heaven. That album would be my desert island disc.

Maybe Chris would know if that was Richard's idea for the deep DOWN vocal on "Top of the World"?
It always sounded to me like there was some kind of effect on his voice on that word, or maybe that it was someone else entirely - but maybe it just sounds different because it's (probably?) the only time we've heard him sing anything that low.

It always sounded to me like there was some kind of effect on his voice on that word, or maybe that it was someone else entirely - but maybe it just sounds different because it's (probably?) the only time we've heard him sing anything that low.

That's Richard singing the note, there's some reverb and added EQ on his vocal to make it stand out more. He really can sing that low. Listen to the notes he hits here at 0:16 and 0:34.

Last edited:
One little spot in the song Can't Smile Without You that draws me in, is in the bridge after Karen sings Into the New and Richard comes in with the echo..new, new @ 2:01 and 2:42 (ish) and then repeats the word old after Karen sings the word old. It’s the perfect amount of sweet for this bridge. I know I’m on an island even liking this song to begin with (can’t help it).

Granted, this it is not nearly as honeyed as the We Are after weeping willow @ 1:11 and after letters A and B are @1:30 on Hurting Each Other, but if you look for these little nuggets, they really are everywhere and they are usually really short, kind of like a lick almost.

One little spot in the song Can't Smile Without You that draws me in, is in the bridge after Karen sings Into the New and Richard comes in with the echo..new, new @ 2:01 and 2:42 (ish) and then repeats the word old after Karen sings the word old. It’s the perfect amount of sweet for this bridge. I know I’m on an island even liking this song to begin with (can’t help it).

Granted, this it is not nearly as honeyed as the We Are after weeping willow @ 1:11 and after letters A and B are @1:30 on Hurting Each Other, but if you look for these little nuggets, they really are everywhere and they are usually really short, kind of like a lick almost.

Richard is a MASTER vocal arranger. That’s where his truest talents lie. I wish he would have spent more time becoming a go-to vocal arranger. He has the chops for it for sure.

Ed

That's Richard singing the note, there's some reverb and added EQ on his vocal to make it stand out more. He really can sing that low. Listen to the notes he hits here at 0:16 and 0:34.

That acapella part is just stunning. Like...total and complete fire. So glad Richard broke it off so we could have it by itself. The rest of it is fine but the acapella part of it is what I came for. His last "Song...oh ooh.." (you get the point) is very nice. So much ear candy in that arrangement.

Ed

That acapella part is just stunning. Like...total and complete fire. So glad Richard broke it off so we could have it by itself. The rest of it is fine but the acapella part of it is what I came for. His last "Song...oh ooh.." (you get the point) is very nice. So much ear candy in that arrangement.

The most ironic thing about the piece is that Karen sounds like she did on her solo album. There are sections where it's all just her ("but he's no good...") that remind me of 'If I Had You'.

What's odd is that he didn't include this in Interpretations instead of cutting it short, when their own full vocal version was sitting on the shelf the whole time.

The most ironic thing about the piece is that Karen sounds like she did on her solo album. There are sections where it's all just her ("but he's no good...") that remind me of 'If I Had You'.
Great observation! It kind of makes sense though. If I Had You and Without A Song for the TV Special were recorded just 58 days apart, making the timeline pretty close together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom