• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎤 Interview The Manhattan Transfer w/Janis Siegel Interview [Christmas Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
As we continue through the Christmas season, we discuss some of our favorite classic Christmas music and the artists who recorded it, including the initiative to get the Carpenters' 'Christmas Portrait' back on the Billboard Top-100. Later joined by nine-time Grammy winner Janis Siegel of The Manhattan Transfer, Janis shares with us many of her influences, as well as how she got involved with the singing group. We also discuss their current touring schedule in the midst of promoting her own solo career, with her latest album release entitled 'Night Songs'.

The Manhattan Transfer w/Janis Siegel Interview

TheManhattanTransferRESIZE2.jpg

The Manhattan Transfer Christmas Album is one of the favorites in my holiday music collection--it is one of the few recent (as in, recorded in the last 25 years) albums I can think of that have the same sort of "warm, fuzzy feeling" that my old familiar favorites give. Their version of "Snowfall," which opens the album, is sublime! The whole album has an old-fashioned feel to it, and arrangements are top notch.

51smBD2SrEL._SX300_.jpg

Agree with Rudy - great album by MT. The first year it was out, it sold so well I couldn't find it and had to wait until the following year to purchase it!

I'm keeping an eye out for the SACD version of it, as long as it does not cost too much. I missed the boat on that one!

I dug a bit and found some on Amazon. This link should go direct to the offer listing:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000054OX3/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Main product information listing (note the DSD/SACD notation in the item title):

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Album-Sl-Manhattan-Transfer/dp/B000054OX3/ref=tmm_acd_title_3

The one I just bought (lucky me, $3.77 with one-click ordering :laugh: ) clearly said SACD in the listing description, as third party Marketplace sellers are able to enter such text. WIth the others, it would be worth checking with the seller to ensure it is the SACD and not the CD version. I've seen some sellers be clueless as to what they were selling. (And honestly, some large resellers have no clue what they have listed, depending on who you talk to!)

Now I just need to upgrade my player one of these days. :D

There were still one or two affordable copies left at Amazon for the SACD last time I looked. My copy that arrived was flawless! It is, however, a single-layer SACD which does not have a CD layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom