The Mendes Image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
Something popped into my head as I was driving along listening to Sergio Mendes & Brasil '65 Live At El Matador. It had to do with the 'Image' of Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66. It's a well known fact that Herb originally signed Sergio & Brasil '65 to A&M in late 1965. He liked what he heard, but felt Sergio needed a new image. Thus, the creation of Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66. A perfect fit in the line-up of A&M artists.

The new image was established on a couple of principles:

1. Sergio's inspired idea of having two attractive, harmonizing female vocalists.

2. The name change from "Brasil '65" to "Brasil '66" to immediately identify the group as being unique. As Sergio said in a radio interview around 1969, "Herb and I decided that it would be best to give the group a label. That way, people wouldn't be wondering if this song came from Brasil '67, Brasil '68, etc. They would always know they were hearing Brasil '66."

My question is this: What is your perception of the Image of Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66? We all know the girls were pretty, they could sing and the band was tight. I'm talking about your perception as Herb and Sergio introduced and created this amazing band to you -- the listener.

It's something I've always wondered about: How others perceived Brasil '66 in relation to how they were marketed. I'm anxious to hear what others have to say. It should be an interesting topic of discussion, seeing as personal perceptions come into play.

Jon

...curious how others see my favorite band...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom