• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

That could be an interesting rabbit hole. Many artists I like have albums tracks I prefer to the hits.

When I bought my Civic in 1984, Honda was shipping them over from Japan without a radio and letting the dealers make a little money with dealer-installed Honda-branded radios. I skipped that and bought an Alpine 7156:

maxresdefault.jpg

That was my first car cassette deck, so I bought a cassette recorder for the house and started making tapes of my favorite stuff from my albums. The deep cuts-to-hits ratio was pretty high.

When I bought my Civic in 1984, Honda was shipping them over from Japan without a radio and letting the dealers make a little money with dealer-installed Honda-branded radios. I skipped that and bought an Alpine 7156:
I remember that Alpine series--my buddy and I frequented a couple of audio stores that also sold car audio.

Alpine made a lot of the OEM radios for Honda back in the day. Alpine seemed to be their most-used supplier, with Matsu$#!^a picking up most of the rest. The '97 CR-V had an Alpine tuner unit and the add-on cassette was Matsu$#!^a. A life hack--instead of buying Honda's OEM changer add-on, you could buy the Alpine CHM-S601, which was plug-in compatible, for less than half the price. (Honda sold their changer unit for maybe $600-$700, and required an additional $100+ mounting kit. The Alpine changer was in the $300-ish range, the only difference being the branding. And I figured out myself how to mount it.)

We bought the Accord without a radio also. Pretty sure I went straight to a CD in-dash at that point.

Listening to Natalie Cole's Ask A Woman Who Knows. 2002, produced by Tommy LiPuma. Only thing missing is Claus Ogerman, and actually, that might be okay, just as proof that you could do this kind of album without him. Love it!

Second album of the morning---Bill Cantos' Be Still My Soul. Hat tip to Nathan Strum for his mention of Bill's new album featuring Herb in the TJB threads.

I decided to download Bill's entire catalog and see what I liked.

This album, from 2000, is in the Contemporary Christian category, which I usually have issues with lyrically (no need to get into a full discussion---I just spent a quarter century in the Greek Orthodox church and those lyrical do's and don'ts are still a part of me).

But this is instrumental---and just plain gorgeous. Bill's a tremendous piano player and it's clear why Herb chose him for the band he and Lani tour with.

Last edited:
What I love about music discovery and this thread is how one artist leads to others. Rudy, your tip of Santi Debriano resulted in my finding Mamiko Watanabe's Being Guided By The Light (feat. Santi Debriano and Billy Hart). This is a new album, released just this year---a jazz trio.

I'm only one track in so far, but if this is representative, this'll be a keeper.

Record Store Day is next Saturday, the 20th, and there are dozens of new releases, or reissues coming that day. I’ve ordered the Elton John’s Caribou vinyl, and the Roches first album on ruby red vinyl. If you like vinyl, it’s a big day of releases. There are 5 or 6 more I’d get if they weren’t so darn expensive.

What I love about music discovery and this thread is how one artist leads to others. Rudy, your tip of Santi Debriano resulted in my finding Mamiko Watanabe's Being Guided By The Light (feat. Santi Debriano and Billy Hart). This is a new album, released just this year---a jazz trio.
Her album is what led me to Santi Debriano, as hers was in a new release queue from several weeks ago. I'm into the piano trio thing, so naturally I'm drawn to it.

I've heard a crap ton of music at the show this year (I'm at AXPONA right now) and it's either music I already own, or music that drives me out of a demo room. A few are good though. I did get to chat with Kevin Gray before his presentation, and he featured a track from his label's new record Hackensack West by Anthony Wilson (Diana Krall's guitarist). One of the best sounding new records I've heard in a long time, as it was recorded in Kevin's living room, and all instruments were recorded by a single tubed microphone (similar to the old Rudy Van Gelder/Blue Note sessions).

Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn was excellent, and the alphabet drives me on to Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. the 1990 album that I used to own on CD. Pretty sure I'd heard cuts from it on the local smooth jazz station at the time or on The Wave in Los Angeles during visits there. I know I like this album, but I haven't heard it in a long time, so it gets a full listen this morning.

On deck: Don McLean's Believers.

That's a Good one my favorite track on that one is " Castles in the Air"

I was going to save this until I actually listened to it again, but I agree with you. One of the rare cases where an artist re-records a song he/she/they have done before and I like it better. I first heard it on KFMB-AM in San Diego when it was new (1981) and it just grabbed me. Older, wiser and having lived some of what Don sings about just makes me appreciate it even more.

I'll admit I'm hot and cold on Bob James, but in one of the demo rooms today, I heard a song that sounded slightly familiar. If you're familiar with Grover Washington Jr.'s "Mister Magic" (it may be one of his best-known songs, from the Kudu label), that's what this song turned out to be.

Only, it's a record by the Bob James Trio, Feel Like Making LIVE!.

1713145249128.png

Very nice sound (demo quality for sure), and James sounds like he's having a lot of fun just unwinding and playing pure, straight-ahead jazz. I have it streaming on Qobuz in high-res at the moment, just poking around a few of the tracks. It's a mix of tracks he's written and/or performed, others he's probably performed on or arranged for (like "Mister Magic"), a couple of standards (everything from "Misty" and Miles Davis's "Nardis to an arguably "modern-day" in Elton John's "Rocket Man") and of course two of his own best-known songs "Angela" and "Westchester Lady." I see "Maputo" in the track list (which was from his record with David Sanborn) and while I don't follow the group, I would bet there's one here from the Fourplay group he was part of.

I'll admit I'm hot and cold on Bob James, but in one of the demo rooms today, I heard a song that sounded slightly familiar. If you're familiar with Grover Washington Jr.'s "Mister Magic" (it may be one of his best-known songs, from the Kudu label), that's what this song turned out to be.

1713145249128.png

Very nice sound (demo quality for sure), and James sounds like he's having a lot of fun just unwinding and playing pure, straight-ahead jazz. I have it streaming on Qobuz in high-res at the moment, just poking around a few of the tracks. It's a mix of tracks he's written and/or performed, others he's probably performed on or arranged for (like "Mister Magic"), a couple of standards (everything from "Misty" and Miles Davis's "Nardis to an arguably "modern-day" in Elton John's "Rocket Man") and of course two of his own best-known songs "Angela" and "Westchester Lady." I see "Maputo" in the track list (which was from his record with David Sanborn) and while I don't follow the group, I would bet there's one here from the Fourplay group he was part of.

And I managed to completely zone Bob James while stocking my Apple Music library. Fixed now. Thanks, Rudy! I tend to go back and forth on Bob, too, so it will be interesting to see where I land now on which albums.

Record Store Day is next Saturday, the 20th, and there are dozens of new releases, or reissues coming that day. I’ve ordered the Elton John’s Caribou vinyl, and the Roches first album on ruby red vinyl. If you like vinyl, it’s a big day of releases. There are 5 or 6 more I’d get if they weren’t so darn expensive.
With a few I bought at the show this past weekend, and some scores on a few used records I'd been seeking for a while, I'm set. I couldn't find a single thing on the RSD list that was appealing enough to spend money on, so I'll pass on it.

Some pals of mine buy dozens every RSD. And some are the ones who listen to the record once or sometimes, not at all, and it sits there sealed for years. What's the point? 🤷‍♂️ Records are begging to be played.

AXPONA had a few used record vendors at the show. My friend and colleague this past weekend spotted a rare Kraftwerk compilation that he'd heard of but never saw in person, and grabbed a copy of it.

Over lunch, since I took a day off after the show (in case I decided to stay over, which I didn't), I plan on cranking up one of the purchases from the show during lunch. I was on the fence but figured eh, why not? (I got a good room rate, the company I work with took us to dinner both nights, and I brought my own lunches vs. paying $15-$20 for terrible concession food. So I had a little more in the budget.) I'll post a photo when I get there. 😁 All my friends say that it's...funky. (At 45 RPM!) And that, there, is a hint.

I tend to go back and forth on Bob, too, so it will be interesting to see where I land now on which albums.
He has his fans, for sure. But it was a surprise hearing this record, as he puts a new arrangement on his familiar songs, states the melody, then heads off into some soloing. Feels like an "I don't care if it sells--this is what I want to play" album. "Maputo" for example is in 6/8, vs. the straight-up 4/4 that Marcus Miller wrote it as for the James/Sanborn album.

Rudy, your tip of Santi Debriano resulted in my finding Mamiko Watanabe's Being Guided By The Light (feat. Santi Debriano and Billy Hart). This is a new album, released just this year---a jazz trio.
Both of these appeared over the weekend while I was at the show, and I'm spinning the Debriano record right now. A very good sounding recording, on top of the music being top notch. I think I'll save Watanabe's for my after-dinner listening.

1713145249128.png

I for one Love Bob James music I lost track after his 3rd collaboration with Earl klugh the 1993 "Cool" album but I have every CD from Bob James "One" until the aforementioned duet album I consider those albums to be My Best Of Bob James but I'm glad to know he's doing covers of his own stuff updating them a bit.

Back
Top Bottom