• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

Pretty much at least one track by every artist from 1979 through 1996, from Buzzcocks' "Orgasm Addict" (1979) to Club 69's "Let Me Be Your Underwear" (1996)... A pretty comprehensive history of the label. I'll post a complete list later (I'm at work right now)... And I still need to get a new URL and update of the site up and running. Right now my promised updates are more like Dangerous Visions III, Harlan Ellison's long-promised (yet undelivered) third installment in the famed SF anthology series...

--Mr Bill

Thank you! And I don't know if we'll ever see Dangerous Visions III. (I own the first two and was surprised to find out there was a third installment planned in the series). Hopefully, he'll get around to it, but I'm not holding my breath :wink:

Hopefully, he'll get around to it, but I'm not holding my breath :wink:

You can breathe easy. The third volume (actual prospective title The Last Dangerous Visions) will never appear. Many of the stories Harlan bought for that book have since been published elsewhere. Many have been withdrawn. I know of one contributor in particular who has killed and buried his own story and would take legal action if it were ever published.

=Mike A.

Go ahead...make his day. (And buy his album. :D )

519SJ5ZE3KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I have a few of his recent recordings and they are quite good: Metropolitain, Songs From The Chateau and Paris Blue have been spinning in my system lately.

BTW, interesting that he's on a local record label that has been signing some big names (he's on Rendezvous, which is part of Mack Avenue Records, just a few miles from the house).

Psychedelic Jungle is my favorite Cramps album!

I don't think I have a favorite, although I'd say all three IRS releases are my favorites of all of their work, with scattered songs from later albums. "Blue Moon Baby" is a track that appeared on a 12" single but I haven't noticed it on CD yet. (Will have to look around more.)

Now spinning!

George Benson -- Guitar Man

Just released this month and I'm glad I bought it; some real nice tunes.

Mike

Oh boy! I'm spinning "Ramsey Lewis -- Mother Nature's Son"

Just re-released in Japan on CD and I got my copy in the mail last night. This album was originally released in 1968 and it's 10 songs off of the Beatles White album. Ramsey recorded this after his jazzy trio days and before his full on funk days. It's a little heavy on orchestra but I don't mind; I'm just happy to get my hands on a it.

Don't have a favorite yet, it's all good!

Mike

Now spinning: the Black Sombrero Brass, Tijuana Road Trip. Just got back from a two-week Kansas road trip and, per custom, we spun this disk twice in a row on the return entry from Oklahoma into Texas. Nothing makes I-35 pass faster than the BSB!

Mike A.

"Don't talk back,
Just drive the car.
Shut your mouth,
I know what you are.
Don't say nothing,
Keep your hands on the wheel.
Don't turn around,
This is for real..."

"We lived, we loved, we laughed, we cried.
We'll never die.
And now, I think of you and I,
turn right into Mr. Blue."

Peter Gabriel?

You're good. :agree: (Or you Googled. :laugh: ) "Digging In The Dirt" from Us.

Right now it's:

14a1225b9da0d54c75116110.L._AA300_.jpg

This was released in 2005 and only this year have I really cracked into it and started to understand what Pat was trying to achieve. It is like trying to dissect a symphonic work in a way, as there are so many intricate parts and themes/sub-themes that it took me awhile to recognize all of them. I actually enjoy listening to it now.

Go back 20 years and I probably would have figured this one out in a month...

Stopped by Half-Price Books and picked up a few CDs to help me get through cleaning the house:

Grachan Moncur III - Evolution
Dave Holland Big Band - What Goes Around
Woody Shaw - Imagination
Joe Lovano Nonet - 52nd Street Themes

Wish we had a HPB here. My buddy in Columbus OH scores a lot of good stuff at his local HPB store.

Anyway, I scored a good one today relatively cheap, in the Rhino 180g vinyl series. Played it a bit over headphones; can't wait to give it a blast after the weekend (and it's perfect music for Monday :wink: ):

617NeBaWSiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The title track "Black Sabbath" sounds fantastic. The surfaces of the vinyl are as quiet as the Van Morrison Moondance.
The Led Zep Mothership 4-LP box is on my Xmas list. Can't wait to hear that one!

Gave the thread a slight name change so we could include new purchases, rather than carry on in two separate threads.

I think it is neat to see what everyone is listening to and/or buying, as a lot of us don't merely listen to A&M 24/7. :winkgrin:

I have some unused Amazon.UK gift certificate funds, so I ordered this one from a seller in the UK:

51mCfa8pmxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't even know if this was release on vinyl in the US. This, however, is a 2-LP set. I found a couple of listings for this at Amazon US, but the two sellers wanted $125 or more for a copy. This one was way less (£19.99), so it makes me think it was a UK-only release. I also ordered this one:

41fOQYCGqEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

U218. 18 hits by U2. Let's hope it's a good pressing--nobody else I know has this one.

I've been listening to/digitizing my five TWILIGHT ZONE soundtrack albums on Varese Sarabande from the '80s. I missed out on purchasing the somewhat all-inclusive 40th anniversary box set that was released, now out-of-print and hard to come by, and owned only the Volume 1 and 2 CDs that came out in the '90s. The problem is that the records had more selections than those two CDs.

So I spent the better part of the last two days cleaning-up the few clicks and pops and combing the necessary tracks from LP and CD together to reconstruct the five albums on CD-R.

One oddity I've always noticed about the great bulk of the tracks in these releases is that there seems to be some kind of fake-stereo artifact going on in them. The music sounds essentially mono with every now and then a loud sting will seem to have a reverb-y echo that spreads from the center towards the two side channels. It's not really stereo as far as I can determine, but some kind of processing that was designed to give an impression of stereo.

Nowhere on the packaging of either the CDs or the LPs is there any indication of either stereo or mono. I even asked Bruce Kimmel (who turns out to be the executive producer of these releases) if he remembered any stereo processing added, but he says he wasn't hands-on with the actual sound processing for the records.

So, I took it upon myself to collapse these tracks to mono, which gives them a purer sound, less gimmicky. Only one track was actually in true stereo, "I Sing The Body Electric" on the fifth volume.

TZV1.jpg TZV2.jpg TZV3.jpg TZV4.jpg TZV5.jpg

The tracks on these are original backscore tracks from composers like Bernard Gerrmann, Jerry Goldsmith, Nathan Van Cleave, Rene Garriguenc, and Fred Steiner.

Harry
...in THE TWILIGHT ZONE, online...

Back
Top Bottom