1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. The new Herb Alpert remasters are now available for download from Amazon and iTunes, and high-res versions are available from Acoustic Sounds and HDTracks. Some of these albums are seeing their first-ever release digitally. Check them out today!

The "Original " Lonely Bull

Discussion in 'The Beat of The Brass: Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass' started by TallPaulInKy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Getting back to "The Lonely Bull", the version mentioned above by Steve that was performed by Jack Jones appeared on Kapp Records with Herb getting credit on the label for directing the orchestra. Here are both sides of that single. First, "The Lonely Bull" by Jack Jones:

Harry

Bobberman and KentTeffeteller like this.
  2. Next up, the flip side, "La Paloma" by Jack Jones:

Harry

3. TallPaulInKy

TallPaulInKy Member Thread Starter

DeeInKY asked: How does a single get cut off-center? Seems like it wouldn't play... :?:

I think the off center problem comes when the single is trimmed and the large whole stamped out. In Europe 45s were pressed and sold with small center holes just like LPs. But in the US in order to have that large center hole, punching out that large center hole is an extra step. If it is punched slightly off center, the record will be off center on your turntable.

DeeInKY likes this.
  4. I made some recent purchase of a Herb Alpert recording on eBay and the seller sent me a bonus A&M script logo copy of "The Lonely Bull", looking like the first one posted by Steve on page one of this thread. Mine has red pen markings on the "Lonely Bull" side, and the grooves themselves look pretty gnarly, so it's not a play copy.

5. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin

US
    That first pressing is an excellent sounding single. Probably the best you'll hear these two songs.

6. TallPaulInKy

TallPaulInKy Member Thread Starter

Continuing on The Lonely Bull, does anyone know who the female voice/chorus is on the record?