• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Real Thing Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cortnee

I can identify everyone in this photo except for 2 men.Who R THEY! One man is a light skinned African- American with a beard and mustache, and the other is a Caucasian male with glasses, long hair with also a beard and mustache. Could the second male possibly be Danny Embrey? Carol Rogers, Marietta Waters, Cruz Baca, Sergio Mendes, Oscar Castro Neves, Ronald Ballard, Donald Ballard, and JC Johnny Conga are all in the photo but WHO R the Other 2 MEN ??? PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME WHO THESE MEN ARE??! :?:

Cortnee said:
I can identify everyone in this photo except for 2 men.Who R THEY! One man is a light skinned African- American with a beard and mustache, and the other is a Caucasian male with glasses, long hair with also a beard and mustache. Could the second male possibly be Danny Embrey? Carol Rogers, Marietta Waters, Cruz Baca, Sergio Mendes, Oscar Castro Neves, Ronald Ballard, Donald Ballard, and JC Johnny Conga are all in the photo but WHO R the Other 2 MEN ??? PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME WHO THESE MEN ARE??! :?:

Dear Cortnee,

The first man must be the famous Brazilian percussionist Dom Chacal who toured with Sergio Mendes and the New brasil 77 from 1977 on but I'm not quite sure how long he toured with Sergio (not untl 1980).
During the same years in the'80s he toured with Paul Simon among others with a 5 men rhythm section included the legendary drummer Steve Gadd.

The second male could be Danny Embrey, guitar player he is a skinny long man with moustache and glasses but I didn't noticed a beard (shaved?).
In 1980 Sergio touring band members members are Oscar Castro Neves on guitar, Alan Diaz on Drums, Ron Powell on percussionWarren Giancatarino on bass, Danny Embrey on guitar and the singers, Marietta Waters, Carol Jeanne Rogers and Gracinha Leporace. This was Sergio Mendes and Brasil 88.

I hope this was helpfull to you,

All the best,
Jeff Nix
(aka Aqua do Brasil)

Jeff, I don't think you're right about the 1st guy being Dom Chacal, but you are likely to be correct about the 2nd guy being Danny Embrey. You can see the photo on The Salute To Sergio Mendes! Your input is greatly valued. How long have you been a MENDES fan? You seem to know quite a bit about his bands. As for myself, I,m learning a little each week about him. Take care and thanks again.

Cortnee said:
Jeff, I don't think you're right about the 1st guy being Dom Chacal, but you are likely to be correct about the 2nd guy being Danny Embrey. You can see the photo on The Salute To Sergio Mendes! Your input is greatly valued. How long have you been a MENDES fan? You seem to know quite a bit about his bands. As for myself, I, m learning a little each week about him. Take care and thanks again.

Dear Cortnee,

I"ve been a Sergio Mendes fan from 1965 on.
Our neighbour at the time Mr. Renee v.d. Lande a musician (his artist name was Renee LANDES, simular to MENDES) played for me the album Sergio Mendes and Brasil 65 live at El Matador and I been hooked ever since to the music of Mendes.
I was 15 years than, now I"m a 54 years old senior and still in love with all kind of Bossa Nova music
I met Sergio twice once in 1980 and in 1996 after concerts in the Netherlands.

Keep up the good spirit in your journey to find things about Mendes, their is lot of interesting things to know.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil
(the nickname explanation is the following:
I am an Aquarius sign with love of Brazilian music)

A look at the inside sleeve of the NEW BRASIL 77 album, which featured "The Real Thing," will give you a list of the players. I don't think there is a "Johnny Conga" among them, if memory serves. I don't have mine in front of me but will look later. (Somebody will probably beat me to it though, if I know this group!)

JC Johnny Conga did not perform on Sergio Mendes & The New Brasil 77 album, however he is in the group photo on The Real Thing cover. All of you can see The Real Thing on B.J. Majors' The Salute To Sergio Mendes. I don't think that JC ever actually recorded with Sergio, but he was a percussionist for Sergio's concerts in 1977. So Mike, you are right about Johny Conga NOT being listed on the inside sleeve of THE NEW BRASIL 77.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom