• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The right way to do a singles box set

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidgra

Hi all.

Has anyone else picked up the new Beach Boys box set? It's called "U. S. Singles Collection: The Capitol Years 1962-1965."

In my opinion, this is a much better box set than the Carpenters' Japanese Single Box. It's not perfect, but it's pretty close.

Like the Japanese Single Box, the Beach Boys box contains reproductions of all the original 45 RPM record sleeves, and each disc looks like a 45 RPM single. Unlike the Japanese Single Box, these are all 5.25" discs (standard size). And, unlike the Japanese Single Box, these don't contain just the two songs from the single; there are one or more "bonus" tracks on each one.

All of the singles in the Beach Boys box contain the A- and B-side tracks, in their original mono single mixes. In addition to these two tracks, there are usually two other tracks on each disc -- in most cases, these are stereo mixes of the songs. Some are original stereo album mixes, but in the case of songs for which no stereo mix was originally made, a modern stereo remix is included.

A few other singles in the box contain alternate versions of songs, backing tracks for songs, or (in one case) a live version.

This has, of course, gotten my imagination fired up about a Carpenters U. S. singles box. Including all of the original single versions of songs would be a must, but including "bonus" tracks would make the set that much better.

For example, each single could contain:

1) Original single A-side
2) Original single B-side
3) Album version of song (if different than single version)
4) Remix of song from later years
5) Demo version or alternate version (if available)
6) Karaoke mix of song

So the first single could look like this:

1) Ticket to Ride (mono single version)
2) Your Wonderful Parade (mono single version)
3) Ticket to Ride (stereo album mix)
4) Your Wonderful Parade (stereo album mix)
5) Ticket to Ride (1973 version)
6) Your Wonderful Parade (demo)
7) Ticket to Ride (karaoke mix)

The second:

1) Close to You (edited single version)
2) I Kept on Loving You (single version)
3) Close to You (full-length album version)
4) Close to You (1991 remix)
5) Close to You (mono promo mix)
6) Close to You (karaoke mix)

And so on. Adding the extra tracks to each single makes the set much more worthwhile, and gives it a *little* justification for having everything spread out over so many discs.

I know I'm just dreaming, but maybe someone at Universal will take the lead from Capitol Records/EMI and think about doing something similar...

David

That, sir, is an awesome idea!

Richard is quite the perfectionist, though. With the sheer amount of content that would need to go into such a release, he'd want to putter away at it for a good long while! :)

I would love to hear demos, outtakes, and other alternate versions of each song, as you suggest. However, I understand Richard's desire to release only final works to the public -- I wouldn't want early drafts of my technical writing floating around!

1) Close to You (edited single version)
2) I Kept on Loving You (single version)
3) Close to You (full-length album version)
4) Close to You (1991 remix)
5) Close to You (mono promo mix)
6) Close to You (karaoke mix)

What's possibly missing from that disc is something like:

7. Close To You (Demo Version 1)
8. Close To You (Demo Version 2)
9. Close To You (Live In Japan, 1974)

:)

David, excellent idea. I have the ABBA box set and the CD's replicate the grooves of a 45 record. Pretty cool.

I can see this idea really working for the Carpenters US Singles box collection. However I really don't see Richard getting involved in this. The task would probably require alot of his time and a project like this would probably take years for him to accomplish and even then would he approve or want to be involved in this? I've submitted a few requests over the years to Richard about a US Singles Collection but never recvd any response only that the Japan collection is the way to go at this point. I'm still wondering if his Christmas album will be released this year or shelved?

I think it's a terrific idea you wrote but I'm not holding my breath that it will happen. Look how hard it was for the Japan Singles to materialize, I think there was delay after delay, gathering all the correct singles proved a huge task for them. Having a track listing like you mentioned would make the set more desirable and sell better but can they gather all these sources for a US box set?

Something like this would be a huge seller, I believe the Japan set sold out and they went to 2nd editions?

This singles box set, where every disk has a bunch of alternate versions, is a cool idea ....although I probably wouldn't buy it -- I tend to prefer the original album versions of most of the songs. I guess, at the end of the day, the packageing might be what could sway my decision. I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing that Japanese mini-LP collection, after seeing Harry's pics of it!

I sure wish he would get the Christmas album out too. The world is in need of a good new Christmas album and Richard is just the guy to provide it. (Because Chip Davis is rapidly running out of ideas!)

This, to me, would be the kismet of Carpenters recordings.

Something like this is so possible, yet seems so far away. I mean, why woud Richard want to put this together when he can slap another sticker on "Gold" and re-release it? There are so many possibilities, and so many of us would eat this up.

I love my Japanese singles box, but it could have gone the extra mile.

Yeah, I was just thinking the other day about the possibility of getting something "new" anytime soon, and how pessimistic I am about that.

When you think about the "new" stuff we've gotten over the past 25 years, you can see that there are periods of activity as well as inactivity.

Some "new" stuff from the past (just a rough list):

1983 - VOICE OF THE HEART
1984 - AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS
1985 - YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (new remixes) and VHS video
1987 - TIME (Richard Carpenter), TREASURES (w/lots of remixes), "Honolulu City Lights" and "Slow Dance" released in U.S. and Japan
1989 - LOVELINES
1990 - FROM THE TOP (unreleased tracks plus new remixes)
1991 - YESTERDAY ONCE MORE/ORIGINAL MASTER KARAOKE (w/new remixes and karaoke versions)
1992 - CHRISTMAS WITH THE CARPENTERS (new remixes and previously unavailable-on-CD tracks)
1994 - INTERPRETATIONS (new tracks, new remixes) plus INTERPRETATIONS video release
1995 - SWEET MEMORY - massive anthology w/new remixes
1996 - KAREN CARPENTER (solo album), CHRISTMAS COLLECTION - first release of both Christmas LPs on CD, LIVE AT BUDOKAN concert video
1997 - Richard Caroenter 2nd solo album, Time-Life 3-CD collection w/new remixes, live medley
1998 - CLOSE TO YOU: REMEMBERING THE CARPENTERS video release, w/otherwise unavailable audio tracks (KFRC jingle, Morton's Potato Chips jingles, etc.)
2000 - SINGLES 1969-1981 (w/new segue and reprise)
2001 - AS TIME GOES BY
2002 - THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION (w/one new unreleased track)
2004 - GOLD U.S. edition (w/one new single mix), SINGLES 1969-1981 SACD remix
2005 - THIS IS YOUR LIFE released on DVD w/Carpenters episode
2006 - Japanese Single box w/new releases of single mixes

When you look at it, there has been a fairly steady stream of releases that have included new tracks, new remixes, or material released on CD/DVD for the first time. When you look at the timeline, though, it's only every couple of years that we seem to get a "new" song (1983, 1984, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2001, 2002). We're now at the longest point ever without having a previously-unreleased "new" song released...

David

Nice list you put together David. It's different when you look at it like this in black and white. I was kinda hoping that the new Christmas CD of Richard's would have contained at least 1 Carpenters song if as a bonus track hidden but I think Richard has indicated somewhere maybe the official site that there would be no Carpenters track on his Christmas CD. Richard had said on one of the interviews that he and Karen recorded (2) Ave Maria's so I was hoping the other might surface on his Christmas CD, it would be the perfect place to appear.

Perhaps someone should ask Richard if he plans to release anything new from Carpenters in the future. I agree 6 years since anything new seems like a long time but I just don't know how much is left for him to release. I still think music from the tv specials over the years and some live material like Live at the BBC and Live at New London Theatre would make great audio CD releases.

Richard also needs to really re-consider getting another DVD release featuring material from their tv specials. Since there doesn't appear much left for an audio release he should consider video of which there is much there to work with.

How about the long vaulted studio version of ABBA's Thank You For The Music? I know he thinks ABBA's version is the definitive version, but hey, Let's hear Karen sing it (other than the live bootleg).

I actually don't think that track is complete. Richard abandoned the idea of finishing it when he realised that Benny and Bjorn had already done the definitive version, and all he'd be doing is copying the original.

I think it has full Karen's lead vocal.

I sent request about mono, talking about interview with Richard about mono recording, to Universal Music through Yuka when single box opinions were mentioned at this board. Has anyone sent?

More greedy growing into real "deluxe sound & vision"!!
8&9) Ticket To Ride (Live In Japan video 1970 & 1972)

I'd really love to listen to 2 versions which Stephen mentioned! Herb Alpert mentioned first recording of "Close To You" before.
10-12) Close To You (Live In Japan video 1970 & 1972 and Live at Budokan 1974)
13) Close To You (Live at BBC)
14) Close To You (Live In Holland video 1974)
15) Close To You (Live with Boston Pops video 1974)

I'd rather have
Ticket To Ride 40th Anniversary,
Close To You 40th Anniversary,....
and the Ultimate Mono Collection
than Singles Box Set which we doubt to be released(?)

Richard mentioned "it should come out here" when an interviewer asked him if the 11 album box set would be for Japan only in 1998. A&M U.S. didn't think the box or Singles Box Set should be released?
How do you make A&M U.S. think box sets will sell well?

At the time of Miseinen and hit of 22 Hits, DVD "Live at Budokan" and Karen' solo were released. Can American fans or British fans make something new to be released? Or fans in Philippines?

How about old demo tapes? Many original may be lost in fire but on NHK and TV Tokyo Richard showed us the demo tape which had "All of My Life" and other songs which included songs that we haven't heard. Richard must still have old demos.

Sakura

I'd like to think Richard is secretly squirrelling away on a great surprise for the loyal fans to celebrate 40 years and THAT is why it has been so quiet. ABC-TV Special on DVD, Singles or Albums box set, something unreleased...

Who am I kidding?!

Although I can dream, can't I?

I like David's idea, too. The Carpenters singles box is a bit pricey for me given the content. If it had what David proposes, I would be more inclined to spend the $250-300.

Maybe I'll check out that Beach Boys box. :)

If Karen's Lead Vocal is complete for "Thank You For The Music", then that's all we need for him to go complete the song! Why let it sit in some storage space in Pennsylvania????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom