• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

THE SOUND OF IPANEMA (with Sergio)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum members,

1964, the year of the release of THE SOUND OF IPANEMA on CBS records.
THE SOUND OF IPANEMA: one of the true classic recordings from the BOSSA NOVA era.

In my opinion an underated record with the Brazilian composer/guitarist/ singer CARLOS LYRA and American Jazz altosaxman Paul Winter as leaders. An answer on the GETZ/GILBERTO album.

Along with CARLOS LYRA and PAUL WINTER the personnel on the in Rio de Janeiro recorded album are:
SERGIO MENDES, piano, SEBASTIÃO NETO, bass and MILTON BANANA on drums, with, amongst seven other songs, the Bossa classics VOCÉ E EU (You and me), MARIA NINGUEM (Maria nobody) ARUANDA and COISA MAIS LINDA (The most beautiful thing). Ten originals by CARLOS and one JOBIM cover O MORRO (The Hill)

If you are interested in all Sergio’s recordings this is a highly recommended album with the fine Bossa/Jazz phrasings from SERGIO MENDES’ piano, and the tight rhythm base of SEBASTIÃO NETO and MILTON BANANA.
This reissue on CD is a Japanese Import release I bought it through DUSTYGROOVE.

All the best,
AQUA DO BRASIL

It's also available at a much better price (and with US masters) as a two-fer from Collectibles. All of Winter's early bossa nova recordings on Columbia are available now and all are highly recommended.

Sergio also turns up on two early Atlantic LPs by Herbie Mann, both available from Collectibles as well.

Aqua do Brasil said:
Dear Forum members,

1964, the year of the release of THE SOUND OF IPANEMA on CBS records.
THE SOUND OF IPANEMA: one of the true classic recordings from the BOSSA NOVA era.

In my opinion an underated record with the Brazilian composer/guitarist/ singer CARLOS LYRA and American Jazz altosaxman Paul Winter as leaders. An answer on the GETZ/GILBERTO album.

Along with CARLOS LYRA and PAUL WINTER the personnel on the in Rio de Janeiro recorded album are:
SERGIO MENDES, piano, SEBASTIÃO NETO, bass and MILTON BANANA on drums, with, amongst seven other songs, the Bossa classics VOCÉ E EU (You and me), MARIA NINGUEM (Maria nobody) ARUANDA and COISA MAIS LINDA (The most beautiful thing). Ten originals by CARLOS and one JOBIM cover O MORRO (The Hill)

If you are interested in all Sergio’s recordings this is a highly recommended album with the fine Bossa/Jazz phrasings from SERGIO MENDES’ piano, and the tight rhythm base of SEBASTIÃO NETO and MILTON BANANA.
This reissue on CD is a Japanese Import release I bought it through DUSTYGROOVE.

All the best,
AQUA DO BRASIL
Dear Forum Members,

I forget to mention the death in 1999 of the late Milton Banana (1935-1999) a favorite drummer of the BOSSA NOVA era and a bandleader in his own right.
MILTON BANANA played also on the GRAMMY AWARD winning GETZ/GILBERTO album, with the famous frequently covered song: THE GIRL OF IPANEMA.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom