• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

They call it A&M Records (dotcom)....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stephen-Can you elaborate on your problem with Universal? I've been at this website many times,and,while I am not a fan of Universal in general nor the IGA(Itnerscope,Geffen,A&M) group in particular,it's their ball so they make the rules of the game. Mac

jimac51 said:
Stephen-Can you elaborate on your problem with Universal? I've been at this website many times,and,while I am not a fan of Universal in general nor the IGA(Itnerscope,Geffen,A&M) group in particular,it's their ball so they make the rules of the game. Mac

They have no clue about the A&M catalog, for starters. It has no uniqueness for A&M- the company (UNI) has taken the logo and will soon end even that. There are hundreds of titles that are as good as lost.

I'm amazed how miniscule the A&M roster is lately, not to mention how
few veteran acts are still officially with A&M. I was looking at the full A&M roster, and Sting, Amy Grant, Bryan Adams, and Richard Carpenter are the only ones I saw on the list that date any further back than the mid-'90s. [As much as I love the two, I'm a little stunned that Adams and Carpenter are still signed to A&M, actually, seeing how little new product either of them have made in the last six or seven years. [Although Adams is finally putting out a proper follow-up to '98's ON A DAY LIKE TODAY early next year, which I'm looking forward to!]

Yeah, I agree with you, though; UNI is TOTALLY "pimping" the A&M logo. Virtually no mention of A&M's history or back catalog on the entire website. It's pretty disillusioning. Can't imagine what Herb must think.

Jeff F.

At least they're still making use of A&M in some miniscule capacity. They totally deep-sixed MCA Records. They only exist as a Nashville entity now. The pop & R&B divisions were folded into Geffen...

Ed

There are hundreds of titles that are as good as lost.

Titles being lost or not lost does not depend in the least one what logo they slap on. It has everything to do with who owns the masters, as we've discovered with Herb Alpert's recordings.

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
At least they're still making use of A&M in some miniscule capacity. They totally deep-sixed MCA Records. They only exist as a Nashville entity now. The pop & R&B divisions were folded into Geffen...

Ed
I had forgotten about MCA!
I do know they are legally obligated to keep the logo visable- through what date I don't know.
Mac is 100 percent right- it is their call.
Maybe with no TjB catalog- there is a lot less history to talk about. Interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom