• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

This unknown song is haunting me. I gotta have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow :o You guys are fantastic! This is incredible. I sent the mp3 to Rudy last night and by the next morning we have a match! Unbelievable.
Harry - you said you "Got It!" How to I get it? I guess with the album name and catalog # I can start searching. Do you have the album? Want to part with it? Just getting the name and singer is very fulfilling after all these years. Getting my hands on a good sounding copy will just be the frosting on the cake. Thanks again to all. BTW - is it just me or is that not a good how did someone say "Guilty Pleasure"?
The station I heard it on in the 70s was a suburban Chicago radio station that played easy listening and soft rock. It was called WYEN. It was 107 on the FM dial. I was in my late teens when I heard this song. As part of my research throughout the years I was trying to find old playlists from radio stations. Came up empty though. I can't get over this. It's like finding the one missing puzzle piece that the rest of the puzzle was waiting to find for about 25 years. When I was cruising around in my 64 mustang with my buddies of course we would have on the rock stations and I would play 8 tracks of the Stones or Aerosmith. But when I dropped off my last friend or I was driving around by myself I would take out my Carpenters or Burt Bacharach tapes and indulge in the "guilty pleasure" of listening to what I wanted to. Now, as I am older I am not ashamed to listen to what I like. My wife and kids have grown to accept my music. When I use my wifes car I will take out her cd of Whitesnake out of the car radio player and put in my copy of Herb Albert or Lani Hall. When she uses my car she will do the same thing. I don't think I could ever convert my wife but my kids (who are all now really young adults) now even like some of my stuff. When I am taking my olderst daughter (now 21) back to college after a school break and we are driving along time she will say "dad, put in that cd of that group with all the trumpets". I would put in Sergio Mendes and she would say "that's the one - I like that album". She likes my Bacharach CDs too. She is of course into the kids new stuff but it goes to show there is hope for the youth of America after all. Look at me - carrying on. Sorry. Thanks again everyone. I will now start my quest of finding that album.

musiclover said:
Wow :o You guys are fantastic! This is incredible. I sent the mp3 to Rudy last night and by the next morning we have a match! Unbelievable.
Harry - you said you "Got It!" How to I get it? I guess with the album name and catalog # I can start searching. Do you have the album? Want to part with it? Just getting the name and singer is very fulfilling after all these years. Getting my hands on a good sounding copy will just be the frosting on the cake. Thanks again to all. BTW - is it just me or is that not a good how did someone say "Guilty Pleasure"?

Actually, it brought back a lot of memories hearing this record again. I must have liked it way back when if I recorded it from the radio. It got a fair amount of airplay here in Philadelphia on this one station I mentioned. And it really is a great song and great record. Too bad the rest of the world never heard it.

I'm working on getting a better copy to Neil. Since it's so obscure, I don't think there'll be any problems posting it. Then the rest of the world CAN hear it!

Harry
NP: radio at work

After everyone's in bed, I'll post the new MP3 Harry sent and post a link to it here. Funny it only took about 6 hours for someone to recognize this obscurity! :wink: (Maybe those guys in Philly really do know something about music!)

-= N =-

I guess they do know their music! I still can't beleive this. I am looking forward to the mp3. Thanks everyone. Also - I am glad I could help shake up the cobwebs in a few brains. :D

Hey,guilty pleasure is just that. It's a pleasure and I am guilty. There is nobody,I mean nobody, in the universe that I have met that this stuff MATTERS till I met everyone here(and hooray for all the new people coming in all the time). BTW,I can't find my copy of "Measure the Valley"-AAAGGGHHH! I love that song! Actually,people like Keith Textor or the people that recorded commercials and jingles are the hidden backbone of all of this delicious music. A group that got past me was the Singers Unlimited. Made up of parts of the Hi-Los,the addition of a female voice(Bonnie Herman) and with multitracking to make four voices sound like many more,they investigated the Great American Songbook through the '70s courtesy of the German MPS label. I picked up their Christmas LP about ten years ago but it wasn't until a very good friend in the business presented me with their box set containing the other 14 albums(yes,the Christmas one is seperate). For some strange reason,Universal never tried a sampler,only the box,via Motor Music. The best vocal quartet I have ever heard. Mac

Wow - :!: :D :o I can't thank everyone enough. Harry, Rudy and jimac51 and everyone else who put these bloodhounds on the right trail. I can’t believe I am listening to that song in good quality. I just got done listening to it about ½ dozen times. It sounds allot better. 25 years ago I transferred that song from reel to reel to cassette but 1 channel on the reel tape deck was out when I copied it to cassette. Then, in those past 25 years or so I have lost that cassette tape about 10 times. I had that cassette in my bedroom of my parents home, then I moved a couple of times, then I found the right girl, married her and had kids. My youngest is 20 years old. All through those years all I had was that cassette copy of the song. The quality that was on that tape was the same as that mp3 (one channel missing) When I first posted about this song the cassette was missing again. I spent all afternoon going through our storage room looking for it. This was truly a team effort. We ought to sic you guys on the Mid-east problem. You should have that problem sewed up by the end of the weekend!
Again, thanks so much to everyone.
P.S. – You guys ought to form another IMF (impossible mission force).

jimac51 said:
Hey,guilty pleasure is just that. It's a pleasure and I am guilty. There is nobody,I mean nobody, in the universe that I have met that this stuff MATTERS till I met everyone here(and hooray for all the new people coming in all the time). BTW,I can't find my copy of "Measure the Valley"-AAAGGGHHH! I love that song!

In searching the web for any info on Keith Textor, I've found several references to "Measure The Valley" (all expensive), but none for the album I have.

jimac51 said:
Actually,people like Keith Textor or the people that recorded commercials and jingles are the hidden backbone of all of this delicious music.

It seems that the commercial singing was their bread and butter.

jimac51 said:
A group that got past me was the Singers Unlimited.

Can't help you there, but if you need any Sounds Of Sunshine or New Seekers, I got you covered!

Harry
...member of OO-AH (Old Obscure Albums Here), online...

Harry - I am so very grateful you found that album but I am a little embarassed :oops: to ask.
What year was that album released? I cannot remember when I used to hear it. Was it early 70s or mid 70s?

There is no year listed anywhere on the album, however my card file index of taped songs from the radio placed the year at 1971, so that's the date I attached to the mp3 file.

Harry
...pretty sure 1971 is correct, online...

1971 is probably correct,as usual,Harry. I have A&R ARL7100/003(Pat Williams-"Carry On") and I wrote date of purchase as 12/31/70(Sam Goody's Chestnut St.Philly-I won't tell you the story that goes with it but I also bought a Project 3-Free Design LP at the same time) and I know it was pretty new release,just reviewed in Billboard a few weeks before. Amazing that a Mercury distributed product did not have their screwy prefix letter & number sequence. I wonder if Universal has those masters or if Phil Ramone has ownership(it was his vanity label) Mac

FYI,ebay item 919702393 is a sealed copy of this LP with the bidding starting at $6.50. Auction closes Nov. 10. Good luck. Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom