• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Tijuana Brass question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitros

Hi, I am new to this site and was just wondering if anyone could tell me a little something about the original Tijuana Brass. Was the group just a studio band, or was it a set group of musicians that toured with Herb Alpert? Also, are they still together,and do they still perform as a group? Any info would be appreciated. I always enjoyed their music, but never really knew much about them. Thanks! :?:

There was a touring group that was started in mid 1965. Some of the members of this group performed on the recordings, Bob Edmondson on trombone, John Pisano on guitar, Nick Ceroli on drums are the most notable. Bob evidently played on nearly all the albums from the beginning, John first appeared on UP CHERRY STREET from SOUTH OF THE BORDER, at least I think that's him...Nick Ceroli came onboard during the recording of GOING PLACES. Even after the touring group was formed, it was "first come, first served" in the studio...whoever was available played...

The original group was disbanded in late 1969, and a second group was formed in 1973. A third group was formed in 1984, for the BULLISH tour.

Of the original members, Nick Ceroli, Tonni Kalash and Lou Pagani are all deceased, as is Julius Wechter who olayed vibes and marimba on all the TJB cuts. Bob Edmondson doesn't play anymore, John Pisano is quite active; hosting a "guitar night" at Spazio's restaraunt, performing with his wife Jeanne as the FLYING PISANOS, and recently, he's been featured on a couple of Diana Krall's albums and her LIVE IN PARIS DVD. Pat Senatore has a band with his sons.

There is a lot of info on the Brass in it's various forms on the TJB discography page here at the Forum.

Glad to havbe you aboard, Micros!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom