• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎵 AotW Tim Curry - SIMPLICITY (SP -4830)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Tim Curry
SIMPLICITY

A&M SP-4830

sp4830.jpg

TRACKS:

Working on my Tan 4:05
She's Not There 2:22
Simplicity 4:13
On a Roll 2:49
Take Me I'm Yours 3:50

Dancing in the Streets 3:59
Betty Jean 3:20
Out of Pawn 3:43
Summer in the City 3:05
I Put a Spell on You 3:32

Vocals - Tim Curry, Gui Andresano, Ula Andresano, Ula Hedwig, Seth , Dian Sorel, Laurel Masse & Sasha
Guitar - Earl Slick, Joe Newman, Bryant Montiro
Sax - David Sanborn, Hank Crawford, David "Fathead" Newman & Howard Johnson

Keyboards - Michael Kamen
Bass - John Siegler
Trumpet - Charlie Miller
Percussion - Jimmy Maelen & Noel Alphonso

Entered the Billboard Top 200 on August 29, 1981, charted for 8 weeks & peaked at Number 112.

JB

Tim ran out of the fuel to write "original material" at this point... (Or at least anything other than ONE "left over" from the band who'd played with him on his last album, Fearless, or the "insiders" who supplied him w/ "original material"...)

Here he's reduced to oldies like 'She's Not There', (Zombies) 'Dancin' In The Street', (Martha & The Vandellas) 'I Put A Spell On You', (Screamin' Jay Hawkins) and 'Summer In The City' (Lovin' Spoonful) that don't even have the charm of Joe South's 'Birds Of A Feather', Burt Bacharach's 'Anyone Who Had A Heart' or the two Joni Mitchell covers he'd done previously ('All I Want', 'Cold Blue Steel')...

Enough that the charm & glory of 'Tim Curry the singer', had since gone back to acting & probably chooses his hobbies more wisely now...!

-- Dave

I was away in the field on a trainnig exercise so I've spent the last weeke getting caught up on all the posts I missed...

This was the final of Curry's "trilogy" of albums on A&M. Not as powerful at Fearless and more varied than Read My Lips, but still a terrific album. My favorite cuts are "Working On My Tan" and his cover of Squeeze's first major hit, "Take Me I'm Yours."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom