• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Time-Capsule "Wave"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al A-S

Had to let all you Jobim fans know I just scored a vinyl copy of Wave, still sealed, and with Pete Turner's original-edition red-filter cover! Couldn't believe something like that would even exist, let alone sell for a pittance ($10.50). Heck, right now I dunno whether I'll ever unseal it!

I just bought four Pete Turner prints --- the archival quality 18 x 24s --- and they are stunning. Just beautiful. The (real, red) giraffe from Jobim's Wave; Tamba 4 Samba Blim (Umbrella trees from Italy); Wes Montgomery Road Song (Kansas City) and Paul Desmond Summertime (icicles from Norway). Those images made such an impression on me when I was a kid that I went into graphic design. Having the first generation prints is really cool.

Those A&M-CTI album covers sure made it easy to buy those albums on impulse.

Not long ago I tuned in on AMC and caught "Endless Summer," a 1966 documentary about surfers traveling the world in search of the perfect wave.
There was a brief clip of a small sailboat coasting on a golden sea -- very familiar.

That must have inspired the WE AND THE SEA (Tamba 4) cover art.
JB

Pete said that was shot in New York harbor...staged, actually. He was in a helicopter overhead giving instructions.

Hey Richard, where'd you get those prints? They must be gorgeous! And while I'm thinking about it, does anyone have any of the CTI-cover prints that were available at the time? The ones that reproduced the Turner photos without the album titles? Always wanted some of those...

And does anyone know why that beautiful red-filtered Giraffe got changed to a not-so-beautiful green on the Wave cover? Never heard.

The printing plates were reversed...accidentally or not...and Pete hates it. But he didn't have control of the usage on that particular product after he sold the rights. The giraffe is a famous photo and has been displayed prominently at photographic exhibits. ... Prints can be bought from the gentleman himself at peteturner.com.

Thanks, Richard. Kind of suspected Mr. Turner was none too pleased over that change. Speaking of green, that's me in response to your acquisition. Those photos are among my very favorites of all the Turner A&M/CTI covers.The man does such arresting, distinctive work.

Al A-S said:
Had to let all you Jobim fans know I just scored a vinyl copy of Wave, still sealed, and with Pete Turner's original-edition red-filter cover! Couldn't believe something like that would even exist, let alone sell for a pittance ($10.50). Heck, right now I dunno whether I'll ever unseal it!

Incredible, and a neat find! :thumbsup:

I would also like to get some of Turner's prints, but be prepared...they are NOT cheap! IIRC, they are one-off reproductions, not mass produced prints. For now, I'll just settle for getting some 12" LP frames and hanging the ones I have. :wink:

Yes those prints are currently "over my budget", but are gems. Wave is one of the best recordings from the A&M/CTI stable. The Tamba 4 cover photos you mentioned are also gorgeous. Great find! Turner is a genius in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom