• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Time Life-Merry Christmas Darling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

On this 2 CD set, this song appears on Disc B track 5.

I'm sure discussed before but enlighten me if a repeat. I've had this set since it was first released. In fact I have a personal ltr from Evelyn Wallace who wrote to me on Richard Carpenter letterhead reminding me not to forget to order this set by calling the 800 #. Disc B is my favorite just for the fact that there is just all "Karen" from start to finish. "thumbs up"

Now on to my discussion....Has Richard ever addressed the re-mix of this track, what a odd remix. There is nothing in the liner notes nor anything on the covers that would suggest this is a remix but it has been altered drastically. On my way to work I had this CD on and listening very closely to the tail end of this you can tell the last 5-10 secs are quite different, almost made me wonder if this was a alternate take of Karen singing that Richard just snuck in on us? What do you think?

If you listen closely to just Richard's last seconds on this track, I wonder if he used recent vocals overtop Karen's. OR is it just the remix that seems to bring his last vocals of the end in a new light? It sounds different from Richard.

I don't really enjoy the track from THIS CD, I much prefer the original untouched version. But it still makes me wonder about this Time Life version, why?

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Has Richard ever addressed the re-mix of this track, what a odd remix.

I don't think I've read or heard any direct comments from him, but there's a sort-of left-handed mention that a remix of "Merry Christmas, Darling" does NOT appear on the remixed album in the 35th Anniversary box set notes

almost made me wonder if this was a alternate take of Karen singing that Richard just snuck in on us? What do you think?

It just sounds to me like a typical Richard remix, where he used the re-done 1978 vocal track and re-did his piano part.

If you listen closely to just Richard's last seconds on this track, I wonder if he used recent vocals overtop Karen's. OR is it just the remix that seems to bring his last vocals of the end in a new light? It sounds different from Richard.

In this remix, I can almost hear what other words Richard is voicing on the final vocal flourish. Karen's overdubbed vocals go, "Merry, Merry Christmas" with another "...Christmas" underneath the second "Merry.." Then Richard's overdubbed vocals begin with two words I've never understood, before he also joins in the "Merry Christmas" choir, just before the combined word, "...Dar-ling".

Can anyone else make out what it is that Richard adds before the "..Merry?"

Harry

It's the word "Christmas" with a lysp and over emphasized. It's what's on the original tape, just buried originally. It almost sounds like he's singing "granny's lost". He just pushed more of the backing up on this mix. -Chris

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was writing about.

You know since MCD is on the SACD I wonder if you can isolate a channel and hear this better (referring to the ending part) Since I don't have a SACD player I can't.

I knew it was her 78 vocal, it's just Richard's always throws me off on this Time Life track, I thought maybe he re-recorded his for this remix but pushing his backing vocal up at the end could be why it seems so different to my ears.

Never cared for this mix at all. The stereo piano that he recut has too much attack and pulls away from emphasis on Karen I think.

As far as Richard's voice at the ending, I really do think it's the same vocal track(s) heard originally, however I could be entirely wrong. One thing to remember with K&R when they recorded, especially backing vocals is, they put so much emphasis on annunciation, so that when mix day finally came and so much annunciation gets buried or lost, they still maintained their sound. Occasionally on remixes like this, you hear what was *actually* recorded vs. what your ear perceives as having been. Newer technology allows for this with better EQ'ing,
mastering etc. -Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom