• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

TIMELESS a big hit in the UK, plus...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

Sergio and Will.I.Am are talking about a follow-up to TIMELESS.

(As of this week "Mas Que Nada" is # 6)

ILM: No doubt you’ve got a busy summer planned, what are you most looking forward to about summer 2006?

SERGIO: I’m looking forward to coming back to Europe in July to do a tour with my band. We’re going to be doing all the big Jazz Festivals, Montreaux, and we’re going to be playing in Paris and we’re going to be playing the Barbican in London on July 23rd, so we’ll be touring and then in September we’ll be going to Japan, to Asia and maybe there start a new album with Will. We’re talking about that already.

http://www.ilikemusic.com/interviews/Sergio_Mendes_interview_timeless-2585

Well, maybe since probably the ONLY real criticism of TIMELESS was the over-involvement of will.i.am and the BEP, maybe he will take this to heart and produce an actual Sergio Mendes record next time, as opposed to a collaboration. (Course, they'd give up a lot of sales, but...)

Mike Blakesley said:
(Course, they'd give up a lot of sales, but...)

Not to thread-crap, but where do you get this theory? It seems that Timeless has failed to be a marketing success in the U.S. despite bringing in popular names. I think there would be greater public reception of a Sergio Mendes album with just Sergio and a jazz combo.

Well, let's see....Sergio's last few albums, without will.i.am, did not make the Billboard top 200 chart. TIMELESS is his first top-200 album in 22 years. I would hardly call that a marketing failure. Not as big a success as I thought it would be, but not a real flop either. It's easily his best selling album since the "Never Gonna Let You Go" A&M glory days.

"Plus" What??!! :confused:

It pretty much seemed to be Will.I.Am and Sergio anyway... Interesting what material they would do (or "Mix Up", for The Dance Floor to also have their own "mix" of) but I would rather see a collaboration with John Legend, or if there really are any good creative juices left, perhaps with Stevie Wonder... (if Mendes had Really been that much of an inspiration and Lil' Stevie been that much of a mentor) :mad:

I just fail to see how another Timeless will do in the manner of the previous entity, given that it never quite met the expectations of what would have been a "demand" for the product... :shake:

Having been going from listening to it this long and very often to barely at all to suddenly approaching the point of trading it in, I sort of have to agree that Sergio would'a been better of collaborating with whatever's left of our Classic Jazz and Hard-Bop Musicians... :wtf:

Maybe that will someday be "the next time"... :evil:

Dave

1/2-Way, excited, too--In other Words...! :freak:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom