• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

TJB albums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captaindave

There has often been discussion in the past about how the TJB evolved over the 1962 - 1969 period of time as to style and sound and the nature and content of recordings, etc.

Here's a link that is somewhat interesting - if you haven't seen it before - which sort of summarizes the albums and the changes, form the point of view of the writer.

http://ookworld.com/tjb.html

This particular part of this website is titled "A Young Person's Guide to the Tijuana Brass."

I have no idea who is writing these views, or what this site is about. Perhaps you have seen it before; perhaps not...

Interesting thoughts, and I kinda go along with the assessment of WNML being a "dark and quiet collection". And, both the Corner and Wendell's site are linked...

Dan

Pretty much spot on - the guy seems to have summed up the albums rather neatly. I remember being given "WNML" by my Mum (who'd bought it on a day trip) and thinking that it wasn't quite the TJB I was expecting..........

I guess WNML is more of a moody album than GOING PLACES was, but "dark and quiet?" It has just as many uptempo, bouncy tunes as GP.

Magic Trumpet, So What's New, Brasilia, What Now My Love, Five Minutes More, Freckles, Plucky, Memories of Madrid. "If I Was a Rich Man" is peppy, but hints at the stripped down arrangements to come on the "Summertime" album.

It's the slow songs where the moodiness comes in. "It Was a Very Good Year" is definitely one of the more intense TJB arrangements, and "Cantina Blue" has a sadness to it.

If the kid had just gone another two albums further, he'd have heard (and reviewed) Warm....which, despite two Herb vocals, ain't "a solo album".

---Michael Hagerty
NP: "Warm"

:laugh:

He meant well, I guess....but to understand an artist's work, you also gotta reference the time period, the music surrounding him, and-most of all--ALL his work, including the singles, and of course the basic Lp catalog, mono and stereo, and his other goings-on, since the lad did co-own a record company, which also informed his work...

:ed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom