• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

TJB in San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk Howard

Sometime between 1967 and 1969 my dad took us to our first concert at the San Diego Sports Arena to see the TJB. I've always tought tthe opening band was called the Checkerboard Squares. Can anyone confirm they really were there? I'm finding very little on the band itself, and don't actually remember their music (just the cool name). Thanks.

Hi Kirk and welcome to the corner, I am going to stick with Harry you might have meant the Checkmates LTD with Sonny Charles and with the other singer I just remember his first name was Bobby. I remember this because back in 1968 here in Cleveland,Ohio the TJB did a concert in Cuyahoga Falls Ohio called the Blossom Music Center. and from what I read the Captain was at that same concert, but I lucked out and my parents surprised me and took me. and we had the cheap seats on the lawn, so we got there early this was the first night, the TJB did a 2 nighter, so I saw Herb walking on stage so I went to the foot of the stage and he sign an autograph then Tonni Kalash came on and I got his autograph. I still got there autographs to this day all laminated. so all 3 of us went back stage Herb was taking slide pictures of the scenery and he took one of me and tonni. and I am trying to get a copy of that picture. I was 12 at the time, and had an orange tee shirt on. I am 57 now, and the Checkmate LTD was the opening act. the Checkmates LTD tour with them that year.
take care
bob

Your welcome kirk one of the checkmates LTD song was black Pearl. Yes Herb is a great guy, from what I remember when I did meet him , he was very shy.and a private person.
bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom