• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

TJB Makes Playboy's "Pool Party" List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

The June issue of Playboy has a story about the ideal beverages for a relaxing pool party, while making a list of music that "is the secret ingredient for any get-together. Burn the playlist below to add an extra kick to the cocktails here." (page 92)

I haven't heard of most of these acts, but Herb & the Brass made it to the list, which contains:
  • Gotan Project - "Una Musica Brutal"
    Senor Coconut - "Smoke On The Water"
    Serge Gainsbourg - "L'Eau a la Bouche"
    Ursula 1000 - "Beatbox Cha Cha"
    Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass - "Tijuana Taxi"
    Delinquent Habits - "Tres Delinquentes"
    Mocean Worker - "Right Now"
    The Avalanches - "Since I Left You"
    Ms. Dynamite - "Dy-Na-Mi-Tee"
    Jem - "Save Me"
    The Go! Team - "Ladyflash"
    MF Doom - "Horehound"
    Curtis Mayfield - "(Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below..."
    Deep Throat Anthology - "Latino"
    RJD2 - "1976"
    Northern State - "Nice With It"
    M.I.A. - "Galang"
    Lady Sovereign - "Cha Ching (Cheq 1, 2 Remix)"
    Martina Topley-Bird - "Too Tough To Die"
    S.S. Binns - "Bossa Moon"
    Death In Vegas - "Black Lead"
    Ming + FS - "Fish Eye"

Man, pool parties sure have changed since I used to go to them many moons ago! :o

Capt. Bacardi
...who actually read Playboy - and just how pathetic is that???? (online, of course)... :laugh:

Yeah, cool that "...Tijuana Taxi...??!!" made the list... :freak: I'd have to look into the other tracks, but this list seems to be more tailor-made for the Hugh Hefner-set, than if I were to dig a hole in my back yard, line it with cement, and fill it with water... (And have annoying guests frequenting my house EVERY hour of the day--Hey, it's the DEAD OF WINTER--20-Degrees!!; Don't you see the tarp over it?!...) :rolleyes:

...Eh, nuff said...! :baah: :wink:

Dave

Isn't "Delinquent Habits - "Tres Delinquentes" the hip-hop song that sampled "The Lonely Bull"? I think that's right....

NJB

SENOR COCONUT!!!! This is the South American Salsa/Percussion outfit that did a bunch of Kraftwerk covers a few years back. I know I raved about them a few years back but even the search feature failed to find the post(s) -- could it have been as far back as the old forum?

--Mr Bill

sbsugar said:
Isn't "Delinquent Habits - "Tres Delinquentes" the hip-hop song that sampled "The Lonely Bull"? I think that's right....

Yup, you're correct. Good memory!

Aside from "Tres Delinquentes" and "Tijuana Taxi," the only other ones on that list I've heard (or even heard of, for that matter) are the Mayfield record and Ms. Dynamite's "Dy-Na-Mi-Tee," which was a huge smash over in the U.K. but did absolutely nothing here in the U.S..
This seems like one really weird list for a "greatest pool-party records" list - not just the fact that most of these records are ultra-obscure, but the ones I know of just don't strike me as being the greatest records for a pool party, and I'm at a loss to figure out why Playboy would pick them as being great records to complement your pool-party cocktail [Delinquent Habits and Ms. Dynamite??? Mayfield's "If There's a Hell Below ..."??? Not that they're bad records, but .. for a poolside cocktail party???]. Personally, if I'd been writing this list, I'd be thinking far more along the lines of Sergio & Brasil '66 or Swing Out Sister or some other really ultra-classy jazz-pop.
TJB is definitely in the right area, but "Tijuana Taxi" does seem like an odd choice for the list, IMO.

Jeff F.

I could see just about anything from EQUINOX as far as B66 goes, and anything from WARM for the TJB, but Tijuana Taxi? Maybe a barbeque, but not a pool party, at least not the ones that I've been to...not that there were that many...

Dan

So why don't youse guys compile your own Pool Party/Barbeque list?

Maybe you'd come up with something us Del Boca Vista guys have heard of.

I stopped reading Playboy when I discovered that pretty girls don't always fold out with staples in their navels.

How about Quincy Jones, Q for the Q.

thats a good idea bob i'm going to start that as a topic in small circle of friends forum right now it will be interesting to see what folks come up with...

--mrbill

Jem - "Save Me"

Jem's debut cd Finally Woken with the abve song on it is very good. Her voice is very clear and sounds similar to the UK's Dido but without the accent. She had a hit single on the radio last year with her song They and her song Closer appears on the recent Julia Roberts/Jude Law movie of the same name. Her songs are very catchy and the ballads are breathtaking.

If I were making a mix CD of TJB tracks for my vision of a Playboy-syle pool party, it would surely include TJB's version of "The Girl From Impanema". (Is that a sacriledge to some jazz 'purists'? Perhaps. But I think it is great. I'm seeing this as a night time party, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom