• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

TJB re-issue on CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my own personal "Dream World", what I would like to see is Mr. A. getting all the former A&M players of TJB and BMB that are still around and doing one more album. Other than a TJB and BMB medley, it should be songs new and old that they have not recorded with special features so we would be able to hear these ol' timers jam.

Then just do a series of live performances at the 'Vibrato' spread out enough to where some of us fans could plan for it and go.

It could be called..."Herb Alpert & the A&M Reunion Brass Band" It better be done quickly because these 'musician gems' are leaving us.

Happy Thanksgiving :usflag: Amigos.................JO

In a perfect world that would be awesome, but even if it happened it would be missing two of the most important elements: Julius Wechter (deceased) and Bob Edmondson (retired from music). The other band members who have passed on might be replaced with some of today's great players. But, people would gripe that it didn't sound enough like the old days.

I can't think of any "classic" bands who, when they get back together, make music as good as they made in their heyday. Even a band with most of the original members, like the Doobie Brothers -- they just released an excellent new album but it still can't hold a candle to their old stuff. Maybe it's due to the age of the listener or something! :)

CherryStreet said:
Captaindave said:
Physical media on the way out. And, it is a pretty big hurry.

But it makes no sense. Where is the progress?! LP to CD, you can hear/see the strides in technology. VHS to DVD, clearly even Miss Higgins in Durban Australia can see the improvement from the old format.

But MP3 and/or Streaming Audio??!! How can we condone "stepping backwards"? Why do we "buy" into it? Even the best "streaming audio" is a lousy 320 kps!

Are people just willing to tolerate "substandard audio" after all of this progress?

And video! Don't get me started on ancient FLASH files! YouTube is also ancient & substandard people! We can do so much better.

And some people "listen" to stuff on YouTube like it was Hi-fidelity.

My opinion - of course without any scientifically derived data to back it up - is that most people don't care and can't tell much difference.

Most people do not hear, nor do they appreciate high fidelity sound. And they are definitely not willing to pay a premium price for it.

It reminds me of the number of patrons to be found in high end audio stores. Very few in comparison to the general population.

most people don't care and can't tell much difference
Sadly, I think you're right. My 1976 speakers in my house sound a hundred times better than most "music systems" out there today.

I will have to say that I'm impressed with the Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones -- my wife got me a pair for my birthday and they are excellent compared to the "cheapos" I had before.

Jay Maynes/Juan Oskar said:
In my own personal "Dream World", what I would like to see is Mr. A. getting all the former A&M players of TJB and BMB that are still around and doing one more album. Other than a TJB and BMB medley, it should be songs new and old that they have not recorded with special features so we would be able to hear these ol' timers jam.

Then just do a series of live performances at the 'Vibrato' spread out enough to where some of us fans could plan for it and go.

It could be called..."Herb Alpert & the A&M Reunion Brass Band" It better be done quickly because these 'musician gems' are leaving us.

Happy Thanksgiving :usflag: Amigos.................JO

Think that might be a REALLY bad idea - let's just let sleeping dogs lie and remember the TJB as they were eh? :sad:

Dave.......

Captaindave said:
My opinion - of course without any scientifically derived data to back it up - is that most people don't care and can't tell much difference. Most people do not hear, nor do they appreciate high fidelity sound. And they are definitely not willing to pay a premium price for it. It reminds me of the number of patrons to be found in high end audio stores. Very few in comparison to the general population.

Scientific Fact:

A CD purchased at Target, played on a CD player From Kmart and listened to on a pair speakers from Walmart will always sound better than a crappy, lossy MP3. Wavelengths do not lie. It's a scientific fact.

It has nothing to do with shopping at Bang & Olufsen or if you can afford to shop there. Put a pair of headphones on anybody and play them a song in a MP3 format and then play them the same song from a CD and they will choose the CD every time.

Mike Blakesley said:
I can't think of any "classic" bands who, when they get back together, make music as good as they made in their heyday.

Steely Dan

"Two Against Nature" released 20 years after their last LP is every bit as good as any of their other previous successful LPs. It also won 4 Grammy awards including Album of the Year, Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals (Cousin Dupree), Best Pop Vocal Album (Two Against Nature) & Best Engineered Album/Non Classical.

OK, I'll have to give you that one! :) It's not my favorite SD album by a long shot but it holds up to their standards for sure. (I like AJA the best myself.)

CherryStreet said:
Mike Blakesley said:
I can't think of any "classic" bands who, when they get back together, make music as good as they made in their heyday.

Steely Dan

"Two Against Nature" released 20 years after their last LP is every bit as good as any of their other previous successful LPs. It also won 4 Grammy awards including Album of the Year, Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals (Cousin Dupree), Best Pop Vocal Album (Two Against Nature) & Best Engineered Album/Non Classical.

As a Steely Dan fan, I can see the argument. However, you could also argue that this wasn't a band at all(at least after their first couple of albums). Since they were basically using cream of the crop musicians on a song-by-song basis in their 70's heyday, it's tough to compare them to a true band where the members stayed constant for an extended period.

FWIW, as much as I enjoyed their later output(Two Against Nature, Everything Must Go), I don't find myself listening to it as much as I do Gaucho, Aja, of Katy Lied. Can't quite put my finger on it, but the later stuff seems to have a bit more of a funk feel, as opposed to a jazz feel. For me, Donald set the bar so high with THE NIGHTFLY, that most everything else pales in comparison.

Herb and Lani may be devoting all their energy to the new project, but does that mean that all the time spent on earlier albums that at the time were important are now forgotten? With digital technology converting the unrereleased albums to itunes or CD's doesn't seem to be a time consuming project and would make his fans happy!

It would likely not be time-consuming to get a release to happen. Herb calls his business manager, and he calls the record company and puts the wheels in motion. All Herb would have to do is sign some contracts, probably, since we know the music has already been digitized (and probably remastered).

The hard part would be promoting a release, which might require personal appearances and interviews and so on.....but all in the service of albums that almost nobody bought the first time around, and would even see less sales this time. It's not hard to see why it's not high on Herb's priority list.

A person needs to distinguish between "the fans" and "the completists" or uber-fans. Most of us here probably fall closer to the uber-fan category, but we're a small number. Not enough to make it worth the trouble to go through all the hoops. The vast, vast majority of Herb's fans are already happy with what has been released.

The bottom line is Herb doesn't want it to happen right now.

Yeah, good luck with that! It is amazing though, how many TV appearances are turning up from the good old days.

Mike Blakesley said:
It would likely not be time-consuming to get a release to happen. Herb calls his business manager, and he calls the record company and puts the wheels in motion. All Herb would have to do is sign some contracts, probably, since we know the music has already been digitized (and probably remastered).

The hard part would be promoting a release, which might require personal appearances and interviews and so on.....but all in the service of albums that almost nobody bought the first time around, and would even see less sales this time. It's not hard to see why it's not high on Herb's priority list.

A person needs to distinguish between "the fans" and "the completists" or uber-fans. Most of us here probably fall closer to the uber-fan category, but we're a small number. Not enough to make it worth the trouble to go through all the hoops. The vast, vast majority of Herb's fans are already happy with what has been released.

The bottom line is Herb doesn't want it to happen right now.

I'll second this opinion.

Like what was mentioned: Anyone w/ access to the means of broadcasting stuff on the computer & owns a comprehensive collection of the works of Herb & artists of "Herb's Breed", can sure get it out somehow on "the latest format"...

You'll get your "oldies but goodies" reissued, if not still listened to & enjoyed, someway!

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom