• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

To breathe or not to breathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ullalume

Hello all,

On listening to Leave Yesterday Behind, I was struck by how some songs have the breaths left in, whereas others have not. Now obviously for workleads every breath is heard to wonderful effect. And I can understand on busy or upbeat tracks the breaths being removed, or even merely not noticible. But then quiet songs like Little Alter Boy have had the breaths removed.

Lets have a talk about it.

Take care guys,

Neil

Hey Neil,

On some of the re-mixed GOODBYE TO LOVE's karen's breath is heard clear at the on-set of the song. They certainly had interesting recording techniques. The thing that strikes me most is that each recording is so polished and pristine. Even the '76 and '77 albums there's a quality in their music that cannot be surpassed. It show's that even "tipsy" the group could pull off perfection. Is anyone out there real familiar with the over-dubbing style? I've always been fascinated at how seemlessly the vocals are mixed and how every note, every sound is right on the money. Everytime. It's like magic. I had no idea that Karen had her lead dubbed til Phil Ramone spoke of her desire to do this while recording solo. I could never tell if there were two Karen's on any lead. She/He had something that's for sure.

Mesmorized,

Jeff

I always find the breath at the end
of Boat to Sail interesting but its
hard to tell if its Karen, Richard or both of them.
Any thoughts?
JIM

I like it, when the breathes are not deleted in the recordings. It sounds so much more natural.

On BOAT TO SAIL I think, it is Karen, for sure.

Bruno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom