• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Tribute album UICZ-4193, March 4, 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

SakuraSYayoi

"Yesterday Once More - Tribute to Carpenters" (Title may be changed)

3,000Yen
2009/3/4
ASIN: B001PBQL9C

Tribute album by Japanese artists (Chihiro Onitsuka, Akiko, Ayano Tsuji, Beat Crusaders, Maika Shiratori....) is to be released for 40th anniversary.

About 15 songs, currently 9 songs are announced, including "Intermission".

Carpenters SHM-CD: box set and 40th anniversary best album
are postponed to April 22nd.

Sakura

Is this the tribute album that was mentioned in the recent press conference announcing Richard's comeback? If so, the details were true to their word, this is the first promised album to come to fruition. Now all we need is his Christmas album!

"Yesterday Once More - Tribute to Carpenters" (Title may be changed)
I hope it is changed. For one thing, this is a NEW album, not yet another recycling of the old stuff, so the title makes no sense.

I hope it is changed. For one thing, this is a NEW album, not yet another recycling of the old stuff, so the title makes no sense.

...true Mike B. But YOM is one of their biggest singles in that neck of the world. That title alone would invite sales and from a marketing standpoint makes $en$e.

Yes, the most selling Carpenters 45 in Japan is "Yesterday Once More" and the most selling CD single is "I Need To Be In Love/Top Of The World".

Hi Stephen,

I don't think this is the tribute album mentioned in the conference. But I'm not sure.
It was to be released in the second half of 2009, and the title was "Carpenters Around The World". The album would include Asian stars along with Simon Le Bon of British pop group Duran Duran and Julian Lennon. Some articles said that would include 12 countries artists. Another said Bebel Gilberto would like to contribute.
Tachikawa wrote that he met Yoko in his blog.
I searched for Julian on the net, he was talking about the film, and he seemed to finish his album last year. But I couldn't find if Julian would sing for the tribute album.

This tribute album is in Japanese pops at net shops, so tribute album by Japanese performers.

Two compilation albums produced/suggested by Tachikawa were released yesterday. Tachikawa wrote about it in his blog yesterday. One is classical music album.
It would be interesting, if he will plan Carpenters related classical tunes in compilation album. What song do you think of on the album?

Some reported Tachikawa plans two tribute albums, one is by Asian. What is the second?
I hope artists that were mentioned by Richard in interviews will be included. Who were mentioned by Richard?

Sarah Brightman, Andrea Bocelli were mentioned before? The latest was James Blunt?

Sakura

I just visited Yuka's sites and found that English page was updated on 19th. (Though Japanese page was update on 23rd, I only found the latest news about Carpenters was posted in 2006.)
March 4: a tribute album by Japanese artists "Yesterday Once More ~Tribute to Carpenters~” will be released.

Yuka hasn't written about "Carpenters Around The World", but information about other releases is on her page. :)

Sakura

One of tribute songs can be downloaded. In case any member is interested in, I'll post the link to sample/download page.
tZKFH_727879_m.jpg

Sakura

If we buy it at this link will it benefit the forum here?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/イエスタデイ・ワンス・...r_1_32?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1234491062&sr=8-32

ASIN: B001PBQL9C

3,000 JPY = $32.97 US

Track Listings
1. 青春の輝き
2. 愛のプレリュード
3. スーパースター
4. 雨の日と日曜日は
5. トップ・オブ・ザ・ワールド
6. シング
7. オンリー・イエスタデイ
8. インターミッション
9. マスカレード
10. 愛は夢の中に
11. ソリテアー
12. ヘザー
13. ジャンバラヤ
14. 遥かなる影
15. イエスタデイ・ワンス・モア

babelfish convert

1. Shining of springtime of life 2. Prelude of love 3. Superstar 4. Day of rain and Sunday 5. Top of the world 6. Singing 7. Only [iesutadei] 8. Intermission 9. Masquerade 10. As for love in dream 11. [soritea] 12. [heza] 13. [jiyanbaraya] 14. The shadow which becomes far 15. [iesutadei] [wansu] moa

Sakura can you convert titles?
I wonder if these will have Richard backing vocals?

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Sakura can you convert titles?

UICZ-4193.jpg

1 I Need To Be In Love
2 We've Only Just Begun
3 Superstar
4 Rainy Days And Mondays
5 Top Of The World
6 Sing
7 Only Yesterday
8 Intermission
9 This Masquerade
10 I Won't Last A Day Without You
11 Solitaire
12 Heather
13 Jambalaya
14 Close To You
15 Yesterday Once More

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I wonder if these will have Richard backing vocals?
If we can expect Richard's contribution, it would be Asian artists' and Julian Lennon's tribute to Carpenters, autumn release, I think.

Sakura

Can anyone hear sample of Superstar? If you can, shall I post the link to sample of 11 tracks?

-- Digital Version, Feb. 18, 2009 --
"Yesterday Once More - Tribute to the Carpenters - 11 Tracks Difital Version" is just released!! Feb. 18, 2009
I heard sample. I don't like some pronunciations, but I can accept the tribute album easier than "If I Were A Carpenter". I like "Intermission".

-- CD --
15-track-CD may be released on March 4, but some sites say that it will be released on March 25.
644.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B001PBQL...reativeASIN=B001PBQL9C&creative=1211&camp=247

Sakura

"Heather" was deleted. 14 songs.

I checked a Japanese artist's site. His name was not mentioned in tribute album singer list. I just like him and sometimes not often check his site. Several years ago I knew he would appear on NHK the next Sunday. I watched it. He was talking about music. He talked about Carpenters' harmony. Then Richard's video was shown. Probably it was shot for NHK program soon to air.

A few years ago I knew he would appear on a radio program. He appeared and sang his new song. At the start of the program Carpenters songs were played.

His old duet partner asked John Bettis to write lyrics for his songs. John wrote a few years ago. He sang "Yesterday Once More" at his live and John appeared in the big screen behind him. It aired on TV.

Back to tribute album, according to the Japanese artist's site, his on and off group sang "Yesterday Once More" for tribute album.

In another tribute singer's fan blog there was another singer's name was mentioned for "Yesterday Once More" about 2 weeks ago or so.

I checked Universal Music site. They made page for this CD. I did see the page with video. However it disappeared. When I checked it again just before I logged in, message, 'the page was not found' was shown. Maybe they are updating the page now.

In the page that I saw, 14 songs only.
Header was "TRIBUTE TO THE CARPENTERS Yesterday Once More". Japanese title is "イエスタデイ・ワンス・モア~TRIBUTE TO THE CARPENTERS~".
11-singer/group's photos and another photo and video message from a singer.
posted 09.02.25
confirmed songs list and artists
album jacket
release date: March 25, 2009
3,000Yen

discription of songs, original release year and month, American chart position

some from booklet, a producer's notes
producers' prof

Carpenters' mini bio

Other related release information, including;
"Carpenters Box -40th Anniversary Collector's Edition-"
SHM-CD
2009/4/22
29,800Yen

"Carpenters 40/40 Best Selection"
SHM-CD
2009/4/22
3,400Yen/3,800Yen

40th anniversary edition of "I Need To Be In Love" (Japanese title of "Twenty-two Hits Of The Carpenters")
2009/3/25
2,500Yen

Sakura

Here is the link to Universal Music page which I talked about in my previous post.
http://www.universalmusicworld.jp/va/yom/index.html

I thought Universal Music were changing from 29,800Yen to 40,000Yen regarding to the price of 40th anniversary box, but still 29,800Yen. Hope this is the price.

The links of Release Info at the bottom of page were added, but all links go to 40/40 vote page, now vote is over.

There were newspaper articles and net articles about this tribute album. (12th, 13th, 14th and today[18th]) other than Carpenters Day articles.
Most articles are about tribute singers of "I Need to be in Love" and "Sing".

This morning my daughter was watching TV and called me, "they just said Japanese tribute to Carpenters after CM break". A newspaper article about this tribute album with color photo of CD cover was shown on TV, and recording of "Sing" aired.

Later I also watched Carpenters video clip on another TV station. "Top of the World" from the First TV Special. 45 cover of "Sing" and a photo from Rolling Stone photo session. This time they aired recording of "Sing" and comment by a tribute singer of "Sing".

The news was at Yahoo news this morning.
According to the newspaper article, the first recorded song was "I Need to be in Love" last August.

-----------------------------------------------
Digital 11 songs are already available.
CD release date: March 25, 2009
3,000Yen

1 I Need To Be In Love
2 We've Only Just Begun
3 Superstar
4 Rainy Days And Mondays
5 Top Of The World
6 Sing
7 Only Yesterday
8 Intermission