• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Tribute to Karen concert - June 25, 1983

Status
Not open for further replies.

song4u

According to the Coleman book, on June 25, 1983, Richard, Dennis Heath and John Bettis performed in a tribute to Karen concert at the First Congregational Church in Long Beach.

Does anyone know if there is any info or are any photos of/about this event?

I've haven't seen any, but I was there. Richard sang a 40s vocal medley, John Bettis did a version of Slow Hand (which he wrote) and Dennis Heath sang "Look to Your Dreams". Can't remember much else...

I've haven't seen any, but I was there. Richard sang a 40s vocal medley, John Bettis did a version of Slow Hand (which he wrote) and Dennis Heath sang "Look to Your Dreams". Can't remember much else...

Thank you. Was it a private concert? There isn't much info on it in the book.

I was there. Hearing Dennis Heath sing Look To Your Dreams and knowing we would soon have it on the as of then unreleased Voice Of The Heart album was very cool. As with all tributes, it made me miss Karen.

Do you remember if there was a policy for no photos or video? Does anyone remember if a camera man was present to record the event? I believe events like this should have been recorded for the fans to purchase or at least an audio CD for the fans. There is very little written about the event or any details in photos or video...it's kinda sad especially being a tribute to Karen.

There is a brief mention of the event in the Carpenters newsletters and there has been ebay sales from time to time of a poster or some kind of brochure, not really sure what it is but I saved a copy from an ebay years ago, here it is:

TributeConcert1983.jpg~original

Nice poster! Love the painting of Karen. See? I think I'm settling into a good avatar and then Chris goes and finds this great painting of Karen and I have to make it mine. LOL!

Ed

I don't think there was a photo/recording restriction. And I don't recall a cameraman filming the event. There wasn't much publicity for the show, I was living near Long Beach at the time and saw a small blurb in the paper about it and that was it. The even was held at a church, and was at or near capacity crowd. Richard did a nice job, instrumental and vocal solos, Dennis Heath was great singing Look To Your Dreams.

There's a photo taken of Richard, John Bettis and Frank Pooler from the same week as the tribute concert. Looks like they are at Richard's based on the jukebox in the background. I'm guessing they might have been rehearsing for this show when this was taken, but I could be wrong. The photo is dated June, 19th, 1983.

Attachments

• img407.jpg
    img407.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 14
I also remember this tribute to her at the American Music Awards. I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a bigger tribute show for her also - something including other celebrities she knew. If it happened now there would be, but back before the internet things were on a smaller scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom