• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Trombone Heaven!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

As a trombone player and collector of trombone albums, rarely do I strike gold as I have this past week. I picked up three gems on eBay and did so without paying an arm and a leg for them (I'm using my arm and legs for gas prices, but that's another matter).

The first is Bobby Knight's Great American Trombone Co. called Cream Of The Crop (Jazz Mark label). It features Carl Fontana, Frank Rosolino, Charlie Loper, Lew McCreary, Phil Teele and Bobby Knight on 'bones, with Lou Levy (piano), Chuck Berghofer (bass) and Frankie Capp (drums). This was recorded live at Donte's jazz club in June, 1978, and according to the liner notes marks the first time that Fontana and Rosolino ever played together.

The second is a reissue of The Trombones Inc. (Lone Hill Jazz - Spain). The trombones are Eddie Bert, Jimmy Cleveland, Henry Coker, Bennie Green, Melba Liston, Benny Powell, Frank Rehak, Bob Brookmeyer, Dick Hickson, Bart Varsalona, Bob Alexander, Marshall Cram, Herbie Harper, Joe Howard, Ed Kusby, Dick Nash, Murray McEachern, Pullman "Tommy" Pederson, Frank Beach, George Roberts, Ken Shroyer, Milt Bernhart, Bob Fitzpatrick, Lew McCreary, Frank Rosolino and Dave Wells. There's a mix of rhythm section personnel such as Barney Kessel (guitar), Osie Johnson and Mel Lewis (drums), Milt Hinton, Wendell Marshall and Red Mitchell (bass), among others. At first look this seems like one of those old Urbie Green 21 Trombones type of thing, but this album really swings! It doesn't hurt that J.J. Johnson did some of the arrangements (though oddly enough, he didn't play on this).

And last, but not least, is the Bill Watrous Quintet - Funk'n Fun (Yupiteru Records - Japan). Along with Watrous there is Art Pepper (alto), Russ Freeman (piano), Bob Magnusson (bass) and Carl Burnett (drums). Despite the title this is a burning straight-ahead set. In the past any time I saw this album listed on eBay the price was always over $60 - once it went over $200! But I snagged this for less than $20, so I'm happy. This was only issued in Japan.

I'm feeling almost orgasmic with this stuff. Guess I'd better get some tissues! :D

Capt. Bacardi

The trombones Inc record, is there a tune called I've found a new baby? I remember a group by that name with some of the people you mentioned on a Warner Bros. record sampler, and that was the tune done by Trombones Inc.

audiofile said:
The trombones Inc record, is there a tune called "I've found a new baby"?

Yes! It's included on this release even though it was not on the original album. According to the notes it had first appeared on a 1960 compilation called Jazz Festival In Stereo, which has long been out of print. This is an edited version combining takes from two different recording sessions in 1958. I guess they sort of Teo Macero-ed it together. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi

Yeah, I have that Jazz Festival in Stereo album. I was introduced to Chico Hamilton and Eric Dolphy through that album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom