• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Unreleased Jobim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
I was told that Antonio Carlos Jobim had an unreleased album in the A&M/CTI series. Does anyone know anything about this? A third album would have been great. I have always been a devoted fan of Tom. My Father had all of his work on reel-to-reel format. It was easy to make CD-Rs from the reel tapes -- a bit of hiss and a drop-out here and there -- but a clean recording all the same.

My fave Jobim song has to be "The Red Blouse" from Wave. With a similar rhythm to "Waters Of March" and the same infectious style, he really hit the nail on the head with this one.

However, I'm still curious about this supposedly unreleased CD.

Jon

...curious, online...

I'm pulling this from my often faulty memory, but IIRC, tracks were recorded that ended up on Tide (which were the "lesser" tracks), but the rest may have been what appeared on Stone Flower which is a lot stronger musically, from what I've heard.

Same fuss is made over Tamba 4...but nobody has ever really proven that tracks for a third album ever existed. (Other than a promo single.)

If either do exist, though...A&M is missing out on mining the back catalog again. :wink:

The three albums released under A&M/CTI by Jobim are "Wave," "Stone Flower" and "Tide." Of the three, "Stone Flower" is often the most overlooked, which is unfortunate, because it has some beautiful cuts (my favorite being "Brazil").

I haven't heard of an unreleased album by Jobim, and haven't heard of any from BJ Major either. The same dispute occurred over Tamba 4, and there is indeed a promo single with two tracks. I believe there were one or two sessions before the group called it quits. Their two released albums are "We and the Sea" (1967) and "Samba Blim" (1968), the latter being available only in Japanese import.

If there's another Jobim album sitting in the CTI vaults, I'd certainly love to know about it, let alone hear it...

Stone Flower was on CTi, but was released after the label moved to Columbia's distribution. Tide was almost like a "contractual obligation"...it was the last to wear the CTi logo at A&M, and the last to be produced by Taylor. To me it has always sounded unfinished, and it did time out rather short. I have yet to get Stone Flower, but I've heard it is much better, on par with Wave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom