Video Sergio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brasil_Nut

Staff member
With recent news of Sergio's return to A&M, the release of his old catalog on CD, etc., does anyone think we may see something along the lines of a Mendes video in the near future? Whether it be old or new material, I'd love to see something on video and/or DVD.

The problem lies with copyright agreements. Many of you may not know that the Ye-Me-Le/Wichita Lineman video just about never saw the light of day. It's release was scheduled for sometime around '96, but had to be pulled due to "copyright agreements". Ended up taking a full three years before it was finally released. I don't know if the copyright agreement had to do with Sergio specifically, seeing as the video is chock-full of many well-known artists. The issue had to do with ownership, which led to the delay.

Here's a list of what I'd like to see released on video and/or DVD:

1. The Expo Concert (which was originally aired on Japanese TV)

2. Various TV appearances with Brasil '66 -- a compilation similar to what Lani did with Herb & the TJB

3. The David Frost Show where Sergio introduced Brasil '77

4. The numerous appearances of Sergio & Brasil '66 on the Fred Astaire Show

5. The Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 Television Special

6. A cleaned-up, edited version of the Horizonte Aberto Brasilian TV Special

This is just a start. I'm sure there are many unknown TV and/or video appearances of which we are unaware. I own a copy of the Elektra promo which has several videos from Brasileiro -- none of which I've seen anywhere, save for snippets during a Mendes interview when Brasileiro was released.

What do you want to see released? Hopefully, the "powers that be" will read these posts, get a clue and release these long-lost treasures for our enjoyment. :wink:

Jon

...Anxious and excited for the release of Sergio Mendes & 2004...

IIRC, the Music Scene rights issue was a licensing issue between ABC and the company that wanted to release the vids. It had nothing to do with Sergio or any other single artist, per se.

I only know of one Fred Astaire performance. Did you mean Danny Kaye, maybe? You can see most of these at the Museum of TV & Broadcasting in NYC if you can get a pass to the viewing area.

Indeed, I mean Danny Kaye. You're correct about Astaire. I've been planning a trip to New York for the purpose of visiting the Museum Of TV and Broadcasting for a while now. I have vacation in September, so...

Jon

There are two other specials I recall, both circa mid to late 70s. They were both syndicated. I believe one was in Australia with a symphony orchestra that Oscar C-N conducted. I remember Sergio in his trademark 70s white leisure suit! :rolleyes: There was another one, very similar, with, IIRC, the LA Philharmonic. Do either of these ring a bell with anyone?

I remember seeing Sergio & co. on the Tonight Show several times. I never saw Brasil '66, but did see Brasil '77 a few times.

I saw them another time when the ARARA album had just come out. Jay Leno (guest hosting for Carson) interviewed Sergio, and he said "You guys started out as Brasil '66, right? Then it was Brasil '77....then Brasil '88...now you're Brasil '99! Where can you go next?"

And Sergio said, "That's it!"

Little did he know, eh? :D

There are tons of Tonight Show appearances. Two that I remember were one with McLean Stevenson guest hosting around the time of New Brasil '77 and being quite rude to Sergio about his weight. I remember him saying "The last time I saw you you weighed more than your band." He asked Sergio how he had lost weight and Sergio said "I stopped eating." Another time is one I've recounted here several times--the night Bonnie & Gracinha did "Waters of March" and Bonnie went completely up on the lyric. It was really quite funny. Frozen smile time, if you know what I mean.

There are countless other talk shows I saw them on through the years--Mike Douglas, Merv Griffin (I still remember their Love Music appearance on Merv when Merv commented on how much they'd changed). And another Griffin appearance (maybe the same show, now that I think of it) when Merv made the band do a "duet" with Charo. That was one for the books.

The reason I call myself the "Brasil Nut" has to do with a Mendes appearance on The Merv Griffin Show back around the time of the Brasil '88 album. They performed "Tiro Cruzado" and "That's Enough For Me." Afterward, Merv and Sergio were talking and Merv said (while holding up the album), "Doesn't Brasil look beautiful!" Sergio smiled and said, "Would you believe that is Santa Barbara, California?" "Well!" Merv laughed, "if it were Brasil, it would be beautiful!" Then, in typical Merv Griffin fashion he said, "Ahhh...Brasil, where the Nuts come from..." "Yep!" Sergio replied, "I'm a Brasil Nut!" And that, my friends, is where my Name originated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom