• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Wal*Mart Commercial--similarity to "Sing"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Yes, the latest WAL*MART commercial sticks in your head... That is, the "Dah, dah, doo, doo-dah" and the trumpet solo...

Any resemblance to "a certain Carpenters song"?

Watch, listen and see if you agree:

Dave

--Who's--Yes!--, currently employed by that very company in Lawn & Garden, after the demise of our famed Auto Industry!
sighing.gif
sigh.gif

I thought the same thing. They were probably too cheap, oops, I meant 'parsimonious' to contact Joe Raposo or his estate and do it the right way.

I hate Wal-Mart with every bone in my body, but I don't think this was anything intentional. The first bar is indeed similar to "Sing" but then the melody goes off on a completely different tangent, including a different chord progression. Some harried jingle writer (working for half his normal fee, probably) was probably under a tight deadline and copped the opening bits of the melody without even realizing it.

Er, the song for this commercial is NOT "exclusively" for (...Wal*Mart...), after all...

I actually hear dit today at one of the stores at the mall and after looking it up Online, I've discovered that the song is "Bitter Heart" by Zee Avi...

Dave

--Now wondering what the latest song is in the back-to-school/college dorm ad that bears a resemblance to "I'll Be There" by Michael Jackson/Jackson 5ive...! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom