• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

🎷 AotW: CTI Walter Wanderley Set - WHEN IT WAS DONE (SP-3018)

All the CTI releases

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (Best)

Votes: 3 33.3%

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 2 22.2%

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • * (Worst)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never Heard This Album

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Captain Bacardi said:
I still feel like I'm in a skating rink when I hear this LP.

:rotf: (but not as much so as when I'm listening to Dave Lewis) :rotf:

--Mr. Bill

seashorepiano said:
This album, along with Walter's follow-up, gets dumped on more than others in this series...
These are pretty much easy listening affairs -- precisely the kind of stuff over-40-late-'60s suburban folks might take a chance on if they wanna venture out from the safe muzak confines of Ray Conniff and Mantonani...while moving up 2-3 notches on the hipometer.

For me, the disappointment with his 2 A&M/CTi offerings lay with the decent Verve sequence he just finished; though still not really "jazz" LPs, at least they're not destined for the roller rink.

As usual, Cap'n B nails it on this one. (Now, if I can only remember what I did with my skate key...)

JO said:
For me, the disappointment with his 2 A&M/CTi offerings lay with the decent Verve sequence he just finished; though still not really "jazz" LPs, at least they're not destined for the roller rink.

I've felt Batucada was his best album on Verve, with Rain Forest and Cheganca close behind. And of course, his album with Astrud Gilberto is an enjoyable listen: it works out nicely that both Wanderley and Gilberto get about equal time on each tune.

I never could get into these A&M albums, no matter how much I've tried. The arrangements never got off the ground for me.

BTW, my favorite A&M Corner Forum quote was from the late Claudio Slon back in 1999. I don't recall which blonde he was referring to in his post, but he had this to say about Wanderley's Cheganca album: "I'm also sure the blond on the coffee sacks must be a better looking cover than the "Cheganca" one, with the three of us in rented tuxedos..." :laugh:

419SGZDMYEL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom