(Want You) Back In My MIX Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Experimenting in Audacity, I came up with a way to boost the lead vocals in "(Want You) Back In My Life Again" since one of the main criticisms of the track is that the vocals are too buried in the mix.

Is this any better?

Harry

It is! Karen's vocal sounds stronger. Now if you can somehow make her sing it in a lower register it would be perfect.

There are a few covers of this song on You Tube (Alvin Stardust and Chris Christianson). The latter version is the closest to Richard and Karen's.

Its unanimous. I will add that this is still one of my all time favorite Carpenters tracks and this is Much more improved i give this 5 stars. ( if i could give any higher rating to this i would.)

Great job Harry! Finally we can hear Karen properly. This is how the official mix should sound.

P.S. Love the thread title :)

Lovely stuff, Harry. Proof positive that it's the placement of her voice in the mix that leads to the misguided impression (in my opinion) that her voice was weaker in the 80's.

I forgot to mention that Karen's backing vocals at 2m46s are also much clearer. I'm probably going to find myself listening to this song a lot more now that we have this version of it.

Yeah. . .I'd love to hear When You've Got What It Takes and Now with her vocals further up in the mix.

Fingers crossed.

Nice work, Harry !

This recalling a question I long ago asked:
Did Technology---or, lack of it,at the time--have any part to play in the way that the entire album ,
Made In America, sounds ?
After all, doesn't the song I Believe You get better sounding with the SACD release ?
Karen Carpenter is not credited on the MIA sleeve with Associate Producer duties,
does that have another part to play in the overall sound of the album ?

I feel the concept is right and overall it is appealing, although at times the lead vocal feels to loud in the mix. The saxophone also sounds louder and sometimes the mix between back and main vocals ratio differ throughout the song but you don't have all individual tracks either. I only listened through the iPhone so far, and will listen through home system later today and perhaps the mix will have a different appeal. I really liked hearing the last few background vocal phrases mixed louder and enjoyed hearing those harmonies I miss in the original mix.

The method I used was to use Audacity's "Vocal Reduction and Isolation" effect, isolating the center channel. It's not perfect but it does attempt to cancel out some of the stereo left/right backing which is where most of the loud strings and such are. The sax was centered and I tried to minimize it a little.

As requested, here's "Now" using nearly the same tactics. Again, the sax was centered and I attempted to tame it a little. This one really had Karen buried in the mix, so I could only do so much without leaving some really harsh artifacts - which both of these have. They're definitely not perfect, but they are fun to play around with and listen to.

Harry

So it was. I must've missed that fact. I've added that important fact.

I looked at the Japan box and it wasn't there, and it wasn't in the US COMPLETE, so I stupidly assumed that it wasn't a single anywhere, and made that mock-up of a picture sleeve.

It just goes to show - never assume anything when it comes to the Carpenters discography.

Last edited:
thanks Harry. Why she's so far back on this track I really don't know, but can't wait to listen to it.

It's funny, Harry's new mix is almost identical to the version we hear in The Karen Carpenter Story. Much more up front and prominent. I wonder if Richard tinkered with it for the movie because the camera is close up on Cynthia Gibb's face for virtually the entire song, so it needed to be clear to the viewer what she was 'singing'.

It does, but it makes the backing sound really weak and phasey. Not pleasant.

I really love this mix. Thank you, Harry. I always thought IWYBIMLA was the sleeper in the otherwise so-so MIA. It's the catchiest tune on the album, but Karen's voice wasn't as prominent as it should have been.

Here's a question though. I know Richard has always held high regard for the MIA album, but has he ever remixed it like he has earlier Carpenter records? I'm sure he's heard the criticism that Karen is sometimes drowned out by the production (or over production) of the sound.

The method I used was to use Audacity's "Vocal Reduction and Isolation" effect, isolating the center channel. It's not perfect but it does attempt to cancel out some of the stereo left/right backing which is where most of the loud strings and such are. The sax was centered and I tried to minimize it a little.

As requested, here's "Now" using nearly the same tactics. Again, the sax was centered and I attempted to tame it a little. This one really had Karen buried in the mix, so I could only do so much without leaving some really harsh artifacts - which both of these have. They're definitely not perfect, but they are fun to play around with and listen to.

Harry

Really lovely... I could tell your handy work on this one more than the former...

I love your fades and these new 'mixes'... Fun additives to the forum... Thanks so much!

(Now - - if only we could lose those background singers on the bridge....)

Here's a question though. I know Richard has always held high regard for the MIA album, but has he ever remixed it like he has earlier Carpenter records? I'm sure he's heard the criticism that Karen is sometimes drowned out by the production (or over production) of the sound.

Made In America is one album which has never been revisited and remixed. Aside from the tweak on Those Good Old Dreams outro and the 5.1 remix of I Believe You, the rest of the album has never been touched. I guess Richard probably thinks that recording techniques had advanced enough by 1981 that it sounded fine and didn't need touching up. I do know it's one of his favourite Carpenters albums.

Once I saw the option in Audacity to isolate the vocals, it started the wheels turning. It was done - because I can - and to see what the results could be. While I like the vocals brought to the fore in "Back In My Life Again", I still think it sounds a little phasey at times. The "Now" remix turned out a little better in that regard, but the lead wasn't as loud as I would have liked.

Just experiments...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom