• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

We Five to Perform in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Just saw this little ditty on former A&M group We Five, who will play at the Candlelight Pavilion Dinner Theater on July 13 in Claremont, California (http://u.dailybulletin.com/Stories/0,1413,212%7E23497%7E2945644,00.html):

'60s group We Five coming to Candlelight Pavilion

We Five the group who created a smash with the 1965 tune "You Were on My Mind," is coming to Claremont's Candlelight Pavilion Dinner Theater on July 13.

Most of We Five's members are Inland Empire folks who grew up in Claremont, La Verne and Pomona. This month's concert marks a homecoming of sorts, especially for founding singer/acoustic guitarist Jerry Bergen, who called the latter two cities home.

The group's current lineup is comprised of Bergen, his vocalist wife, Debbie, and lead guitarist son, Chris, all of Glendora; keyboardist Ray Scanlon (Hollywood); and bassist Terry Ragno (West L.A.).

In 1965, We Five was on the cutting edge of the burgeoning folk-rock movement and was nominated for a Best New Artist Grammy. Formed when the principal members were attending college in San Francisco, the group was one of the pioneers of the pre-psychedelic era San Francisco Sound, which was noted for close harmonies and an equal mix of jangling acoustic and electric guitars.

"You Were on My Mind" - with the memorable beginning, "When I woke up this morning" - was a hit during the 1965-66 folk-rock boom. The group charted again in 1966 with "Let's Get Together." However, by the time the group's second album, "Make Someone Happy," came out, the group's members had gone their separate ways.

In recent years, We Five's members reunited and the group stepped up its concert schedule.

Guitarist Michael Ryan, a classically trained musician whose music is influenced by Irish, flamenco and Latin traditions, is slated to open We Five's concert at the Candlelight Pavilion.

All seats for the concert are $20 and the doors open at 6:30 p.m. No dinner will be served for this event. Appetizers, drinks and dessert will be available for an additional fee, however.

CONCERT PREVIEW
"WE FIVE"
When: 8 p.m. July 13, doors open at 6:30 p.m.
Where: Candlelight Pavilion Dinner Theater, 455 W. Foothill Blvd., Claremont
Cost: $20
Information: (909) 626-1254, www.candlelightpavilion.com
Note: Dinner will not be available for this event. Appetizers, drinks and dessert will be served for an additional fee. Credit cards are accepted, parking is free.

Capt. Bacardi

Gee, that sounds like it would be worth attending! Almost like an "official" reunion. I take it Chris, son of Jerry (and Debbie?) Bergen is a good replacement for the late-Michael Stewart, whom I'm sure WOULD be part of this We Five "outfit", otherwise.

Too bad I'll probably only be attending "in spirit", too!

Dave

Agreed....wonder if they'll do "There Stands The Door"....?

For stereo collectors, that chart 45 is 'the odd one out': didn't make either A&M album, was never in stereo, and I'm not sure it's ever been reissued....

:ed:

"Stands" should be a bonus track when (and if) THE RETURN OF WE FIVE (A&M SP 4168) gets reissued.

TAKE EACH DAY AS IT COMES (1977) and CATCH THE WIND (1970) also need to be reissued; the latter 2 albums are non-A&M.

JB

Could someone post a We Five discography to this thread. I assume they only made enough songs for a single CD comp. That would be two albums and maybe a couple non lp singles.
Thanks!
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom