• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Week #17: Part I: “The Singles, 1969-1974”

Favorite Carpenters Single from 1969-1974:

• “TICKET TO RIDE”/”YOUR WONDERFUL PARADE” (11/05/69)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • “CLOSE TO YOU”/”I KEPT ON LOVING YOU” (05/20/70)

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • “WE’VE ONLY JUST BEGUN”/”ALL OF MY LIFE” (08/21/70)

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • “MERRY CHRISTMAS, DARLING”/”MR. GUDER” (11/20/70)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • “FOR ALL WE KNOW”/”DON’T BE AFRAID” (1/15/71)

• “RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS”/”SATURDAY” (04/23/71)

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • “SUPERSTAR”/”BLESS THE BEASTS AND THE CHILDREN” (08/12/71)

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • “HURTING EACH OTHER”/”MAYBE IT’S YOU” (12/23/71)

• “IT’S GOING TO TAKE SOME TIME”/”FLAT BAROQUE” (04/13/72)

• “GOODBYE TO LOVE”/”CRYSTAL LULLABY” (06/19/72)

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • “SING”/”DRUSCILLA PENNY” (01/13/73)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • “YESTERDAY ONCE MORE”/”ROAD ODE” (05/16/73)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • “TOP OF THE WORLD”/”HEATHER” (09/17/73)

• “I WON’T LAST A DAY WITHOUT YOU”/”ONE LOVE” (03/25/74)

• “PLEASE MR. POSTMAN”/”THIS MASQUERADE” (11/08/74)

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • “SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN”/”MERRY CHRISTMAS, DARLING” (11/08/74)

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I thought it would be a good idea to assemble a thread dedicated to the singles.

I did my best to list all the singles including their release dates as accurately as possible. If I am incorrect on any of these, please let me know.

Whether it is the sleeve artwork, the “A” side or “B” side tune that persuaded you, please vote for your favorite single and tell us why you picked it. -Chris

This is an easy one for me. My favorite Carpenters song, the one that made me a fan, the one I still never fail to enjoy to this day, is "Close to You." Although, I like the unedited, original album cut the best.

My vote is for Superstar/Bless the Beasts & Children. Since acquiring this promo single. My decision was greatly influenced here. Simply an amazing 45!! The purity & Karen's ease of delivery is astonishing.

I will say that the alternate version of Your Wonderful Parade on the single I have is special for me also.

This was sorta hard cause I really love alot of these singles. The single of Santa Claus is also really special for me. A much better sound hearing this on a 45. In fact I was just playing this tonight & realizing it is almost that time of year again & Karen warmed my heart with anticipation.

I have a rare 45 promo of Santa Claus Is Coming To Town. I have it in the mono mix and the terrible HACEO-GSG stereo side. Would really love to hear the regular stereo mix.

Chris, you are right. On vinyl this songs eats dust! Especially the 1974 version. I'm going to try to get this burned to CD.

...someone please stop me from rambling online...

I picked "WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN"/"ALL OF MY LIFE" mainly because not only do I like both of those songs, but I also remember the first time I saw the "YESTERDAY ONCE MORE" video release and noted the cover sleeve for this single on the opening tune.

Unfortunately I was not old enough to collect these singles growing up, however these two songs do go together well IMHO. -Chris

I went with "Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town" only because it's never appeared in its original mix on an album. By the time Richard got around to putting it on AN OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS, he'd re-recorded/remixed it, losing the flavor of the original. It's the one single I still drag out to play every year.

Raz is right, and I've said it many times, that the stereo version with the CSG processing is tough to listen to, but nevertheless, it remains a favorite that I still go to every year.

My second choice, and probably first if "Santa.." wasn't in the running would be "Close To You" for its historical significance to me. That's the first Carpenters record I bought, and I immediately fell in love with both songs. This single remains the only released version of "I Kept On Lovin' You" with a clean open. On the album and the few compilations it's appeared on to to date, it's segued with the closing strains of "Mr. Guder".

My favorite single has from this period has to be "Please Mr. Postman". I wore out that 45rpm when it was released and so happy that it hit #1! It would have been soooo nice had "Horizon" been released when this single was such a huge hit! The album would have sold so much more. None the less, I love this single!!

I think I enjoy the nostalogic zest of "Yesterday Once More" backed with the more melancholy, maudlin and moving, "Road Ode", which I once had on Picture-Sleeve '45'.

Second, is the "I Won't Last A Day Without You", though it's no "Let Me Be The One", but almost as good. Especially backed by the ethereal and daring "One Love", which is the first place I heard this touching and momentous would-be hit single.

Third, is the familiar, 'I'll never fall in love again/ Never gonna fall in love again' of "Goodbye To Love" with the mystical, magical, mythical, wistful "Crystal Lullabye".

Just neat to hear these popular hit songs backed with songs that are "apparent B-Sides"or would just be "Album-Filler"...

Dave

I had to go with "Close to You" / "I Kept on Loving You." The A-side's a pure classic, of course, and "I Kept on Loving You" is easily the best of the '69-'74 B-sides in my opinion (and a shoulda-been A-side).

Jeff F.

This was a close one but also an easy decision for me I picked Superstar. I feel it is Karen's best vocal and considering how awesome a vocalist Karen is thats saying something. Ever since I have first heard this song it has been on the top of my Carpenters favorite list I have listened to it way too many times to keep count and I never tire of it its just a perfect pop song/ballad as far as I am concerned. :D :goodie: :love: :thumbsup:

Wow! Make it easy, why doncha! :o :badteeth:

After long deliberation....."Yesterday Once More"....but any number of runners-up are almost there....

:ed:

Again ....nearly impossible to select just one '45....eventually went with first classic :

Close To You ...backed by my almost favourite Richard lead vocal ....great combination of tracks for this single release :cool:

Peter

this was tough. I was forced to decide between GOODBYE TO LOVE and SUPERSTAR. I went with GOODBYE TO LOVE possibly because of the guitar solo.

I voted for "Please, Mr. Postman" due to it's sheer magic. Clean, ambitious while seeming simple, great lead vocal, great backing vocals, great production and instrumentation and it sounded like they went into the studio to have a good time and what resulted was icing on the cake. The release timing of the single, (maybe not for an album since none was ready) was serendipitous (sp). It was all over the airwaves and on TV right before the holiday rush and I never tired of the song. Also, the picture sleeve I think said something like 'deliver via earmail" or some clever thing. What a wonderful package and memory for me. The next single, not that Chris asked is my all time favorite but falls beyond the time limitation designated here. GREAT thread. deliver da lettah gotta love it and I do. That December I went to one of my first boy/girl kissing parties and the song was played on repeat. The song was the only saving grace of that party. 'nuff said.

I too voted for We've Only Just Begun. KC totally captures a nervous and excited, sensual conviction in her delivery and RCs arrangement and vocals are right up there too.

How on earth did I ever miss this topic 4 years ago?? :oops:

I've selected "Goodbye to Love" and "Crystal Lullaby". The first is wonderful with that raucous and stirring guitar solo. The lullaby is the reverse, lovely and delicate. I've always thought it was underrated.

Marilyn

Rainy Days and Mondays! I was very young when this came out, and even though I was already a 'fan for life' this song 'touched' me. I couldn't figure out back then exactly how it touched me, but years later I realized that her voice, the topic of the song, etc. touched my soul. That was when I first realized that Karen was more then just a singer.

This single remains the only released version of "I Kept On Lovin' You" with a clean open. On the album and the few compilations it's appeared on to to date, it's segued with the closing strains of "Mr. Guder".

Harry, the clean opening version is included on the Japanese Singles box set on the 3" CD single for Close To You :wink:

Well of course it is - *now*. But when I wrote my reply above it was 2004!

Harry

Ah right, gotcha. What is it with three, four year old threads being resurrected? It's happening on a couple of other forums I visit too! lol

New members will explore and feel the need to contribute. It's funny when members who've already posted to a thread chime in again with either the same or different views.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom