• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

West German CD of Yesterday Once More: Just one booklet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithH

I have a West German CD pressing of Yesterday Once More with catalog number CD 6601. It came in two jewel cases, but with just one booklet. Disc two has no booklet. Is this normal? I have seen this occasionally with early MCA two-disc sets, but not with A&M sets.

Thanks!

Yeah, I have one. It's one of the earlier CD purchases I made.

And it's true that it came packaged in a longbox with two individual jewel cases, and only the first one had a fold-over "booklet". That booklet attempted to replicate the gatefold of the LP, but instead of being two "pages", it was expanded to three, with the track list of disc one moved to the left page.

Which brings us to the interesting "error" on this issue. If you look carefully at the track list on the inside of the booklet, and indeed on the face of the CD's themselves, you'll see that disc two starts with track [14] and goes through [27]. Anyone today knows that that's impossible - to have a CD that starts with anything other than track [1] is simply not possible.

So our good friends at A&M in the US, decided to "correct" the situation by including the following paper insert:

yestUSER.jpg

The printed back inserts were correct, listing the tracks as what they really were, [1] through [14].

I, long ago, moved the CD's from their two individual jewel cases and put them in a space-saving single-width double-disc jewel case with a flip-over page.

So yes, just one "booklet" in the WG pressing.

Harry

Harry said:
Yeah, I have one. It's one of the earlier CD purchases I made.

And it's true that it came packaged in a longbox with two individual jewel cases, and only the first one had a fold-over "booklet". That booklet attempted to replicate the gatefold of the LP, but instead of being two "pages", it was expanded to three, with the track list of disc one moved to the left page.

Which brings us to the interesting "error" on this issue. If you look carefully at the track list on the inside of the booklet, and indeed on the face of the CD's themselves, you'll see that disc two starts with track [14] and goes through [27]. Anyone today knows that that's impossible - to have a CD that starts with anything other than track [1] is simply not possible.

So our good friends at A&M in the US, decided to "correct" the situation by including the following paper insert:

yestUSER.jpg

The printed back inserts were correct, listing the tracks as what they really were, [1] through [14].

I, long ago, moved the CD's from their two individual jewel cases and put them in a space-saving single-width double-disc jewel case with a flip-over page.

So yes, just one "booklet" in the WG pressing.

Harry

Harry, thanks. I have a corrected version. Disc two lists the tracks as 14-27 on the actual disc and back insert. However, the back insert with disc one lists the tracks on disc two as 1-14. The booklet also lists the tracks on disc two as 1-14. There is no paper insert like the one you showed.

As a collector, of course, I will keep my eyes open for the version you have.

KeithH said:
Harry, thanks. I have a corrected version. Disc two lists the tracks as 14-27 on the actual disc and back insert. However, the back insert with disc one lists the tracks on disc two as 1-14.

That's odd. My "uncorrected" version has two back inserts that both list the disc two songs as [1] through [14]. I still have both, folding the second one to be the inside tray liner. Both say "Printed in USA".

Harry

Harry said:
KeithH said:
Harry, thanks. I have a corrected version. Disc two lists the tracks as 14-27 on the actual disc and back insert. However, the back insert with disc one lists the tracks on disc two as 1-14.

That's odd. My "uncorrected" version has two back inserts that both list the disc two songs as [1] through [14]. I still have both, folding the second one to be the inside tray liner. Both say "Printed in USA".

Harry

I hadn't looked at the discs closely when I unpacked my set the other day, so I hadn't noticed that disc two had the tracks listed as 14-27. Additionally, I hadn't noticed that the back insert with disc two had the tracks listed as 14-27.

The thing that did strike me odd when I unpacked the set was that the back insert for disc one says "Disc 1" and then "Disc 2" to the left of each disc track list. The back insert with disc two does not have those labels next to the track lists. I wondered why one had the labels and one did not, but I did not look at the track numbers. Obviously when A&M corrected the back insert to list the disc two track numbers as 1-14, they also added the Disc 1 and Disc 2 labels.

Strange stuff.

As a follow-up here, I finally had a chance to listen to this West German pressing of Yesterday Once More, and it sounds great. The later U.S. pressings (pre-remaster) may sound the same. All I can say is that the West German pressing is a winner.

I have the SACD of Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", and the track numbering for the second disc starts at #9, or whatever it should be. I did not check the CD layer on these, but the SACD layer does start with the advanced track number.

I think it is possible to change the track number to start at whatever number you wish. (It may even be part of the redbook CD specs...not sure though.) I should try it on a couple of CD-RWs to see if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom