• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

What are the Cornerites listening to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elliott Yamin (self-titled)
Sting- various
Michael Buble- It's Time
Chris Tomlin- See the Morning
Carpenters- Singles 1969-1973
Chris Botti- Italia
Jon MacLaughlin- So Close (single)
John Williams- Sabrina (Soundtrack)

To answer the question in the thread title: I'm listening to Pandora right now...

http://www.pandora.com

You can create your own custom internet streaming radio channel, either by choosing a favorite song or artist. I have at least a half dozen favorites. You tune your channel by giving a thumbs-up or thumbs-down to songs you like or dislike, which weeds out music you don't care for.

Booker T. & the MGs – Hip Hug-Her’
Peter White – Playin’ Favorites
Herb Alpert – Midnight Sun
Herb Alpert & TJB - Volume 2 (Japanese CD)
Sergio Mendes – Encanto
Henry Mancini – Midnight, Moonlight & Magic (best of Mancini)
Dean Martin – This Time I’m Swingin’!

Mike

nightcat said:
Hey this is a great topic!

The albums (or cds) I've listened to during the last week are...

EASTERN SOUNDS / Yusef Lateef
THE GOLDEN FLUTE / Yusef Lateef
SMALL CIRCLE OF FRIENDS / Roger Nichols
SOFT SAMBA / Gary McFarland
THE BROTHERS FOUR SING LENNON & McCARTNEY
DOCUMENT / R.E.M.
A BAJA MARIMBA BAND Compilation CD made by a friend (thanks, Bob)
and... several cds by a GREAT young jazz singer named STACEY KENT
so what are you guys listening to ??
Dang, Nightcat, I have the first four on your list! (and I'd probably have the BMB if I had the connection!! Ha!)

As for me, SUN-TUE has been:
Brasil '66 / Look Around
Tom Hedrick / Salads And Ballads
Juan Oskar / Superhero
Mose Allison / Ramblin'
Sir Thomas Beecham / Balakirev - Sym No.1
Nara Leao / Vento De Malo

Bill Evans, Theme from the V.I.Ps and Other Great Songs
Sergio Mendes, Magic Lady
Jackie and Roy, Time and Love
Gabor Szabo, High Contrast

Nightcat: McFarland's Soft Samba is an excellent album. Over a year ago I did one of my first needle-drops of LP to CD with that album. McFarland was an excellent arranger.

Lately in my player, a lot of home-made compilations:

A Beatles compilation I put together
A Guess Who/Burton Cummings set
Herb Alpert & the TJB: "Written In Brass" (a collection of TJB songs written by their in-house songwriters)
Burt Bacharach - "Chronology" (a collection of his A&M best)

I have Sergio's FOOL ON THE HILL waiting in the wings, but need to wait for warmer weather to play that one.

Dang, Nightcat, I have the first four on your list! (and I'd probably have the BMB if I had the connection!! Ha!)

As for me, SUN-TUE has been:
Brasil '66 / The Look Of Love
Tom Hedrick / Salads And Ballads
Juan Oskar / Superhero
Mose Allison / Ramblin'
Sir Thomas Beecham / Balakirev - Sym No.1
Nara Leao / Vento De Malo

JO... Looks like we're into similar stuff. As I was reading your post tonight, I was listening to Mose Allison Live At The Lighthouse. I also love bossa nova, and Nara Leao is great!

Looks like we have some Gary McFarland fans here. I recently picked up The In Sound (Verve) on cd (japanese import) at Dusty Groove records in Chicago. If any of you guys haven't checked this place out, the selection of instrumental and jazz cds is outstanding. Lots of stuff from Europe. Many things you wouldn't think are released on cd can be found here. Its worth checking out. Website I believe is dustygrooverecords.com.

Steve Swallow: The Real Book
Pat Metheny- Day Trip
Gary Burton- Duster
Miles Davis- Seven Steps To Heaven
John Scofield- En Route
Tamba 4- We And the Sea
Charles Lloyd- Love In
Albert Ayler- Spiritual Unity

audiofile said:
Steve Swallow: The Real Book
Pat Metheny- Day Trip
Gary Burton- Duster
Miles Davis- Seven Steps To Heaven
John Scofield- En Route
Tamba 4- We And the Sea
Charles Lloyd- Love In
Albert Ayler- Spiritual Unity
Great stuff there, Audiophile. Anyone who listens to Duster will quickly discover that so-called "jazz/rock" fusion had a substantial recorded document 2+ years before Miles Davis' (unfairly) received all the accolades for his unique but much over-praised Bitches Brew set; as for Spiritual Unity -- easily one of the most incredible progressive/experimental (i.e. "new thing") trio LPs ever issued...on the cat's meow of '60s jazz labels, ESP-DISK. Can't forget Mr Lloyd's stack of Atlantic LPs...one one hell of a run!! Oh, my, but you've got the goods there!

Nightcat -- Yeah, I'm a certified Most freak. Mose Allison is an American treasure...perhaps the first "pop" artist to do the Americana thing. Once, in concert he sang Tumbling' Tumbleweed...I met up with him briefly after that show and remarked about such an uncommon selection. He kinda looked up at the ceiling and said it was one of the good ol' good ones. He's got the "Nat Cole" piano jazz + rural blues/roots country + pop standards thing goin'... As for Ms. Leao -- I'm in the midst of acquiring all of her '60s Phillips issues...need only two more. As much as I enjoy the Brazilian-American cross-over artists, just one listen to a Brazilian artist, such as Nara -- who only made records for Brazilian audiences -- and one begins to pick up on the salt-of-the Earth feel of her musical culture. The emotive quality I feel from her recordings leaves me speechless.

Lately I've only been listening to my inner demons (and the annoying sounds of shipboard Navy life).

--Mr. Bill

Mr Bill said:
Lately I've only been listening to my inner demons (and the annoying sounds of shipboard Navy life).
--Would that be in mono, binaural, stereo, or quad?

Both the demons and the shipboard sounds are in L*I*V*I*N*G S*T*E*R*E*O

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Both the demons and the shipboard sounds are in L*I*V*I*N*G S*T*E*R*E*O

--Mr Bill

Are those from -1S stampers? :D (RCA collectors' joke, sorry. :wink: )

All I hear now are the sounds outside the open windows, two computers running, the bathtub going upstairs, Mario Party DS about six feet behind me, and the fan in the upstairs window. Guess it's in surround. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom