• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"What Do U get...." Why, oh Whhaaaaay?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpwoman65

I'm thinking about "WDYGWYFIL". Does anyone know why Rich let her pronounce 'why' like she's hacking up a hairball? And three times no less?

Were they fighting and she knew where his goat was tied so she went over and poked at it some more?

Was she already a diva? On the second album? At 21? Huh? Or as I like to say "WTF?"

I think if I were Richard, I'd have said "No. I'm not using the song if you're going to sing like a DORK."

I woulda just stopped the recording and said "O.K. Next!" and walked away backwards, making a motion as if I were hacking up a hairball.

But (being only 4 years old and unable to drive) I wasn't there and I don't know the dynamics of just what was going on that day.

My theory: Biiiig fight.

Discuss.

This must be one of those things that might bother one person while another won't notice at all. As many times as I've heard that song over the years, it's never occured to me to focus in on the pronunciation of the word "...that is WHY, I'm here to remind you". To me it just sounds like a stylistic choice. Karen was trying to differentiate her vocal stylings on the song from the immensely huge hit that Dionne Warwick had just registered with.

"I'll Never Fall In Love Again", as recorded by Carpenters probably was never earmarked as a single - it was just a cover song done as an album track. It probably surfaced as Richard was putting together the Bacharach Medley, and they decided to do that one as a full tune, along with "Baby It's You" and "(They Long To Be) Close To You" as the rest of the Bacharach troika on that second album.

Harry

It's about the way Karen Carpenter pronounces the word "why" in the song, "I'll Never Fall in Love Again" from the CLOSE TO YOU album.

(Do you really want to know, or are you just upping your post count?)

Wow. No one noticed? Hmm. I would be really interested in what Richard heard. It always seemed so obvious and goofy to me. Maybe I'll drop him a line....

But I do love this song. I wish it had been released as a single. I love the way she sings it and the arrangement. It's just one of those things that I picked up and has stuck in my mind for lo these many years.

That and the spot where my 8-track changes tracks in the middle of the song.

"Here to remind you,
Here to remind you,
Herer to remind you,
Here to remind yooooou......"

Drums.

Silence.

CLICK.

Then Richard comes in on the piano.

8-track? LOL!

Oh, and I always, always forget the name of that dang song is "I'll Never Fall in Love again." Jeeze. I'm such a dork. :freak: :!:

["Cool Person Mode", ON] Yeah, yeah, I dig ya! The "Wuh, Wuh, Wuh-Wuh, Wuh-Wuh, Wuh-Wuh, Wuh" of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again seems to be what gets me! It's a real nightmare on the Burt & Friends Various Artists/Series-19000 Set, too! I find it disappointing after I fall asleep to Side 1, that I have to listen to Side 2, hours later, WIDE AWAKE!!! --Not particularily looking forward to that "not so fine moment"... Yes, when after hearing Wes Montgomery's "I Say A Little Prayer For You", that the "...Here to remind you..., ...Here To Remind You..., ...HERE TO REMIND YOU...," comes on...! Spoiling an otherwise worthwhile A&M Multi-Artist Anthology... :rolleyes:

I never much noticed any special pronounciation in the word "why" any more from other versions of this song I have heard and owned, by Dionne Warwicke, Jimmie Rodgers and Bobby Vinton (on my 3-Record Columbia/Epic Various Artists Set: Theme From LOVE STORY and 30-Other Classic Love Songs, on Columbia Special Products), not to mention the original by Burt Bacharach, himself...
["Cool Person Mode", OFF]

--Now back to being Stuffy, Old Dave...!!! :baah: :)

...And I'm not "Upping my Post Count", either; I READ EVERYTHING HERE!!!! :tongue:artyhat: --And I expect to ENJOY IT!!! :jester:

Dave

I agree with Harry. I think it was simply a stylistic choice.

Personally, I have always liked the way Karen's "punches" the word "why" on that version. It has never seemed the least bit odd (let alone "hairball hacking uppy") to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom