• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

whatever happened to ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

godeltsihw

there was a great band in the 70's called Orleans who had big hits: Dance With Me, Still the One [wasn't this used in a Burger King commercial in the 90's?] and Love Takes Time. Whatever became of them? They were great!

They've never officially broken up. There was a fairly recent live "30th Anniversary" CD about a year and a half ago.

"Still the One" probably was used in one of those annoying Burger King commercials but it is far more famous as ABC TV's official theme song for the 1976 season. Ironically the song came off their 3rd LP whiich was their first for Asylum Records. The irony is that their first two LPs were for... ABC Records, who dumped them after the second LP failed to go anywhere...

And welcome to the A&M Corner, Whistledog!

--Mr Bill

Another few points: John Hall, a founding member of Orleans, left that group in or around 1977 for a solo career, before "Love Takes Time"; by the time that song came out they were on the Infinity label -- a short-lived subsidiary of MCA which had already swallowed up ABC Records (talk about coming full circle!).

Prior to Orleans, Mr. Hall had been in a few failed bands -- among them Kangaroo, which had put out one album in 1968 (Kangaroo, MGM SE 4586). Much of the album seemed to me to be a parody of the then-yet-to-emerge singer-songwriter genre (with reference to "the hangups that restrain your mind," and simliar sentiments) merged with proto-punk garage rock. Among the other members of Kangaroo were one N.D. Smart II (a.k.a. Norman Smart), who went on to play on the first Mountain album (this, before Mountain actually became a band) and then as a backing musician for Ian & Sylvia's Great Speckled Bird; and Barbara Keith, who after her time there had a minor career as a singer-songwriter (perhaps her most famous compsition was "The Road I Took To You (Pieces)"); I noticed on the two tracks she sang on this LP ("Daydream Stallion" and "The Only Thing I Had") she sounded like Stevie Nicks trying to emulate Grace Slick -- but sounding more like the former than the latter. (She would disappear from the music business in the 1970's, reappearing in the '90's as part of a band called The Stone Coyotes.) The producers of that record had also produced the Blues Magoos' one big hit, "(We Ain't Got) Nothin' Yet."

I think that the group Orleans opened up "Woodstock '94" back in August of 1994 if I am not mistaken. I'm not sure if John Hall was the singer. By the way, when is the 10th anniversary of "Woodstock '94" coming to DVD?? Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I.I.N.M., Mr. Hall rejoined Orleans sometime in the early-to-mid-1990's. So he could well have been there.

Yeah, for a band as good as Orleans was, it's a shame they didn't have more Top 40 hits!
I absolutely LOVE their Top 40 singles! "Still the One" (the one I hear most often) I always have to turn up when I hear it on the car radio, "Dance with Me" is just GORGEOUS, and "Love Takes Time" (which I really wish I heard on the radio more often) is seriously underappreciated. Fantastic singles.
They're still together, though? That's a concert I'd like to catch!

Jeff F.

Love Takes Time is (i think) the greatest song of 1979. It beats We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff Richard (which comes a close second) because Orleans did not make it overseas :sad:

godeltsihw said:
Love Takes Time is (i think) the greatest song of 1979. It beats We Don't Talk Anymore by Cliff Richard (which comes a close second) because Orleans did not make it overseas :sad:

Excellent tastes! I'd probably rank "We Don't Talk Anymore" right up there, too! I've been crazy about that record since ... heck, I hadn't even started school yet, but I loved that record even then! Cliff Richard's another artist who really should have had more Top 40 hits ... his U.K. chart record is phenomenal, of course, but it's a shame he never had more in the U.S.. I absolutely love his late '70s/early '80s singles; "Devil Woman," "Dreaming," "A Little in Love," "Suddenly," "Give a Little Bit More" ... really underappreciated singles! (Especially "Dreaming" ... haven't heard it on the radio in twenty years, but it's one of my favorite songs.)

Jeff F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom