Where can I find (a) Good Morning Mr Sunshine (b) Carmen (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill S

I used to have records of Herb Alperts, but got rid of them 20 years ago. Two of my favorite songs were: " Good Morning Mr. Sunshine", and " Carmen" (not sure of the spelling. I believe that Bob Findley was the trumpet player on the later. Would like to obtain a CD with these two songs, but don't know what Albums they were produced from, and/or if they were ever converted from Records. Any help would be appreciated. Please e-mail me directly, if it is allowed, at [email protected]. Thanks

Bill,

"Good Morning, Mr. Sunshine" appeared on the album THE BRASS ARE COMIN', and neither the album nor the song has ever made it to a professionally-released CD. (Edit - see below - I was wrong!)

"Carmen" is from HERB ALPERT'S NINTH, which has just been released within the past year or so on CD from Shout! Factory Records under the Herb Alpert Signature Series banner. Bob Findley was not yet a member of the Tijuana Brass when either of these recordings were made, therefore, from what we know, all trumpet parts on these recordings were played by Herb Alpert himself.

Harry

"The Brass Are Comin'" was available on CD in Japan for a while about 15 or so years ago. I have the Japanese CD which I got for about $40 when it was available. Now it comes up on eBay every once in a while, but be prepared to spend $100-$250. Hopefully, it will be reissued on Shout eventually, but no word has been given for sure on that yet.

David,
gettin ready to head off to work................

Ack! You're right. I forgot about that Japanese release. Now I'm embarassed!

But considering it's rarity, it might as well have never been released.

Harry

David and Harry,

Thanks for the information on the album " The Brass are Coming", which contains both "Good Morning Mr. Sunshine", and " Carmen". I remember now that you mention it, that this was the name of the album.

I am going to see if any local record person may still have that album, which would be a lot less expensive then paying $250. I want the songs, but not that badly. It was a bummer that they did not have any records left at our local library, because I would have borrowed a record player and copied it over to my computer, where I could then burn a CD. Actually, I want it on my MP3 player. Too bad that one of you nice people doesn't burn me a copy of these two songs and send them to me, but I realize that is probably not appropriate.

It is a real shame that they never made a CD of these songs, as Carmen is one of the most brilliant trumpet pieces that I have ever heard. Don't know why I had the impression that Bob Findley did the recording of that song, but I was quite sure that it stated so on the album.

Another song I have been seeking seems equally hard to find. It is called: " Magic Trumpet" and was recorded by James Burke, whom I believe was and English fellow.

Thanks again for your help, and if you have any other ideas, please feel free to contact me. I also sent a letter to what is supposed to be the address of Herb Alpert, but the web site said that he may not answer my letter. Apparently, he is into Art these days.

Talk to you soon

Bill

The confusion of Bob Findley and "Carmen" is probably a song title confusion between "Carmen" (off Ninth) and the song "Carmine" off Coney Island, which indeed features a killer Findley solo... Sadly, Coney Island is one of the TJB LPs that has yet to appear on CD.

--Mr Bill

I guess we need to clarify if it IS indeed "Carmine" vs. "Carmen". "Carmen" was from the opera, and was a parody of several TJB songs up to that point. This was on Herb Alpert's Ninth. This is in print on CD.

"Carmine" was named after Herb's trumpet teacher and is a much darker piece of music, with a lengthy Bob Findley trumpet solo that finishes off the song. This was from Coney Island. No CD release ever.

"Magic Trumpet" is from What Now My Love, also in print on CD.

And as mentioned, "Good Morning Mr. Sunshine" is from The Brass Are Comin', which appeared for about 245 microseconds on a Japan import CD.

In addition, "Carmen" and "Good Morning, Mr. Sunshine" were issued on 45's. The former, on A&M single #890, b/w "Love So Fine"; the latter, on single #1143 (one catalogue number after the Carpenters' first single, "Ticket to Ride"), with "You Are My Love" (another of Herb's vocal performances) on the flip. So if you don't want to spend your hard-earned cash on the respective LP's to feature these, there's always the single versions . . .

The confusion continues. Wasn't that "You Are My LIFE," rather than "You Are My Love"?

I think this thread should be started over once our friend Bill S decides what song he wants!

"Carmine" was also issued on a 45 as the 'B' side to "Whistle Song (Whistlestar)" on A&M #1762.

Capt. Bacardi
...adding to the confusion (or is that Confucious?) online...

Hi all,

Went on a color tour today, so did not check all of the e-mails to see that there has indeed been some confusion about which song I am talking about. Sorry about that.

I am referencing, apparently, the song " Carmine", from the Coney Island album, which I also owned back 30 plus years ago or so. Perhap it's appeal to me as a trumpet and flugel horn player myself ( amateur) was the brilliance of this song. One could not listen to it without feeling the OCD nature of the teacher who obviously was able to elicit extreme and profound focus from a brilliant, but nevertheless "free spirit" nature of Herb Alpert. I remember feeling at the time, how did Bob Findley, a person of much more structured and disicplined form, ever get tied up with Mr. Alpert? Be assured that I am in no way demeaning the nature of Herb Alpert, but the mix of the two was as odd in this song as it was for Lawerence Welk to tolerate the radical free spirit of Pete Fountain for as long as he did.

By the same token, Herb Alpert and Hugh Masakela (?)were a good match, until once they eliminated the Moses Guana (Trombone player) album. They were then free to explore each other's minds and souls with the passion of the ages.

Just my thoughts, anyhow.

Bill S

Music, at least to me, isn't just about songs, it is about people and how they interact with each other.

Bob's main role in the TJB was to play 2nd trumpet to Herb Alpert, which he did expertly. His own personality showed during some solos, to be sure; but this was probably a part of the overall plan, too. Bob played a lot of solos, and provided a lot of "color", for lack of a better word, that the original brass didn't have. The sound was different than the original brass from the '60's; more of an ensemble group.

A lot of his solos do sound "brighter" than Herb's.

The trombone player you're thinking of is Mosa Jonas Gwangwa. He could sound a lot like Bob Edmondson when the need arose, as on BESAME MUCHO on the MAIN EVENT album.

Dan

I think it is appropriate to close this thread, since I originated it. You folks have been very helpful, and given me some ideas that can be useful.

I would like to open two other threads, which are not directly related to A&M corner. Harry, let me know if it is allowed on this board.

One would be helping me figure out how to move a record over to my computer, using patch cables and Windows Media Player 11 Beta

Two, would be help in figuring out how to copy over a voice recording of my Dad and brother from several years ago. It was recorded on a cassette player. I can probably go out of the headset jack of the cassette player, into the computer input jack, and can hear the sound. However, I have not found anyplace in Windows Media player where I can RECORD that sound, so I can burn it to a CD. The folks at ABC warehouse tell me that Windows Media Player does not have that capability. There are programs that can do that, I am sure, but I don't know what they are, if they are shareware or free, and where to get them. This is an important conversation and I enjoy hearing my Dad's voice, ever thought it is a poor recording. He died several years ago and it is the only recording that I have of his voice, and he is playing mandolin and ukulele. Let me know if I should open these topics here, of if there is another board that would allow them.

Bill S

Post them in the FOR ANIMALS ONLY: Off Topic forum. There - anything goes, and we have a lot of helpful people who know about copying recordings from one format to another.

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:
The confusion continues. Wasn't that "You Are My LIFE," rather than "You Are My Love"?
Whaddaya know . . . I re-checked the 45, and saw the "You Are My Life." Obviously, when posting 45 info, one has to have the record nearby, I suppose . . . :wink: The point about it, though, was where to get "Carmen" and "Good Morning, Mr. Sunshine" - and I answered as best I could as to one way . . .

DBme said:
I bought The Brass Are Comin' last year in an LP from GEMM for $25

You could've found a copy for far less than that if you looked hard enough. You shouldn't have had to pay more than $5 for the LP. It's not that rare at all.

Capt. Bacardi

I remember my first LP copy of WARM. I had an 8-track of the album, but had never bought an LP of it when it went out of print. Then I lost the 8-track. I had put a few of my favorite tunes (Sea, Zazuiera, Marjorine) on a compilation cassette I'd made, and it was wearing out (having never sounded all that great to start with).

Then I found out about this "record search" service. This was before the Internet, of course. You had to list what you wanted on an order form and send it in, then they would write back with their "finds" and prices.

The price for a "very good plus" copy of WARM was $25. I sent the money immediately, figuring the album was probably in short supply since it wasn't a huge seller. I got by on that copy for a lot of years. (I still sometimes imagine a loud "pop" near the beginning of "Sea is My Soil" whenever I hear my current scratch-free CD-R version!)

MIke,

thanks for the info. Decided not to go the route of getting a record, and then buying a record player for just two songs. Too much trouble, with all of the other things in my life that need doing. Thanks for your help, however.

Bill S

I had original copies of all of the TjB albums that lasted me for years. Some got a bit worn and I replaced them eventually. One that I kept my original, singular album of was THE BRASS ARE COMIN'. That lone, solitary edition kept me from needing a relpacement well into the '90s - BUT, it was always noisy. From the day I opened the seal on that one, it always had a swooshy noise on the vinyl, along with a bit of a low-frequency hum that was even more evident if you happened to play it at a faster-than-33 speed. My assumption was that the HAECO-CSG system on that album was the cause of it, and I never investigated further.

When I finally got around to transferring missing albums to CD and got to THE BRASS ARE COMIN', I was rather unhappy with the sound. It didn't have the punch of the other albums and that swooshy noise and hum was augmented with pops and crackles from sheer usage over the years. So, in those early days of the Internet, I began searching for a replacement.

My first attempt came from either an old site called Vinyl Vendors or another used record site. The album I received was no better; in fact it was a bit worse than what I already had. Next I tried eBay, and again was disappointed with what I'd gotten. Then I went to a local used record shop and picked one out that looked relatively clean. When I got it home, it too was full of snaps and crackles.

I began to theorize that THE BRASS ARE COMIN' was perhaps one of those albums that never HAD a good pressing. I finally asked the folks here if their pressings were defective too, and the replies indicated that I'd just been unlucky in finding a perfect copy. Rudy told his stories of having a German pressing that sounded great, and Steve S. mentioned that his copies were just fine.

So I continued the search. I think it was another eBay purchase of mine that finally sent a mint (and quiet) copy of THE BRASS ARE COMIN' to me. It was a long search, though none of the purchases were particularly expensive, probably all within the range of $5 to $15 tops. As I recall, Vinyl Vendors used to be a bit pricey, but they often managed to come up with things I needed.

That new copy of THE BRASS ARE COMIN' made an excellent source for a CD-R - so good in fact that even when someone DID send me a copy of the official Japanese CD, I still pefer the sound of my homemade CD-R.

Harry

Harry,

Thanks for the detailed information. Again, I now have the songs that I need on CD, and the quality is more then acceptable, provided that I use my head phones from the home stereo, rather then the little ones that came with my Sansa 250 MP3 player.

Bill S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom