• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Where's Rubens Bassini?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cortnee

Where is Rubens Bassini nowadays? Is he retired? How come he hasn't played in several years? I miss him. He had a crazy onstage presence, completely UNFORGETTABLE. Come on back Rubens!

I believe Bassini returned to Brazil and has since stopped recording. He might have passed away, but I'm not aware of that. Whatmusic (and I'm sure Dusty Groove as well) have come out with CD remasters of his Brazilian solo albums, which may be worth a try.

Yes, I believe Rubens Bassini DID pass away. In fact, I recall seeing a "Dedicated to the LATE Rubens Bassini" written in the liner notes of one of my CD's.

Dave

Cortnee said:
Where is Rubens Bassini nowadays? Is he retired? How come he hasn't played in several years? I miss him. He had a crazy onstage presence, completely UNFORGETTABLE. Come on back Rubens!

Rubens Bassini passed away somewhere in the mid '80s.
Hist last job was with the touring band of Dave Grusin.
On the Dave Grusin GRP Collection album is a quote:
"Dedicated to the much missed Rubens Bassini".

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

Yes, it's my John Tropea CD, NEW YORK CATS, DIRECT on DMP that has the "Dedicated To The Late Rubens Bassini" in the credits.

Dave

...unearthing a "discovered" collection of CD's (including a lot of titles on DMP) I FORGOT I even STILL HAD...!

Cortnee, if you're a Rubens fan, get his early solo effort available at Dusty Groove! It's fantastic (Ritmo Fantastico, in fact!).

I do have Ritmo Fanastico on cd and I LOVE IT!! I listen to it at least once a week, and when I do listen to it I can't stop dancing! I am looking for the vinyl version of it because the vinyl version has liner notes by one of Rubens closest friends and colleagues, the great Mr. Dom Um Romao who is also a CRAZY musician.

At first, I didn't believe the rumors about Rubens passing away but you guys are indeed right. Rubens ia a musical angel now. he's up in heaven jamming away with the great Tito Puente who was one of Rubens' idols. How did he pass away though? He must of been in his early 40s at the time of his passing. Was he married? Did he have any children? I know Rubens was just a teenager when he joined the bossa nova movement and when he recorded Ritmo Fantastico, he was in his late teens or early 20s. :cry:

Cortnee said:
How did he pass away though? He must of been in his early 40s at the time of his passing. Was he married? Did he have any children?

What was his Social Security number? Mother's maiden name?

... :laugh:

I doubt anyone knows the answers to that. He probably passed away in his 40s, and probably was married.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom