• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Which came first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trevor

"Magic Lady" and "Horizonte Aberto"...

2 questions:

1. Which was recorded first? Were they recorded in the same studio?

and

2. Which was released first?

I (think -- I could be mistaken) that HORIZONTE ABERTO was recorded and released in early '79, with MAGIC LADY coming out later in the year. HORIZONTE was recorded in Brasil, whereas MAGIC LADY was done entirely in Los Angeles.

Jon

Of personal note, I did not discover HORIZONTE ABERTO until long after I'd purchased MAGIC LADY. I happened across HORIZONTE in the Import section of our local Tower Records. Of course, I grabbed it right away!!

Jon

I think you're right about the release dates Jon -- Harry will let us know for sure when he gets back from vacation.

Like you, I didn't hear HORIZONTE until just a few years ago. What an excellent album! Hard to believe he made the fairly awful MAGIC LADY at almost the same time.

Really? You don't like MAGIC LADY? I have to admit, it wasn't what I expected at the time, but it grew on me. For one, the vocals are out of this world. For another, although slick, it has a couple of great songs such as "You Get Your Love From Me" and "Summer Dream". Besides, short of HORIZONTE, it was Bonnie's last album with the group. Bummer!!

Jon

Brasil_Nut said:
I (think -- I could be mistaken) that HORIZONTE ABERTO was recorded and released in early '79, with MAGIC LADY coming out later in the year. HORIZONTE was recorded in Brasil, whereas MAGIC LADY was done entirely in Los Angeles.

Jon

Dear Jon,

Magic lady was recorded in the SPRING of 1979 and Horizonte Aberto was recorded in the FALL of 1979.

I obtained the LP version of Magic Lady in the fall of 1979.
It was recorded at Kendun recorders (Owned at the time by the legendary recording engineer and studio-designer /builder KENT DUNCAN) were Sergio worked a lot, Brasil ’88 Homecooking and The New Brasil ’77 were also recorded there.

I obtained the LP version of HORIZONTE ABERTO in june/july 1980 under the title ALEGRIA.
It was recorded in Brazil as a Som Livre production under Executive Producer Guto Graço Mello, a former leader/member of the 1967 Brazilian group VOX POPULI with Gracinha Leporace and her brother Fernando Leporace as members. A song of Fernando is included at the album.
The strings and horns were recorded at Monterey studio’s in Glendale, California.
It’s the cover with the sunglasses on a girl with water drops all over her face and a reflection of palmtrees in the glasses.

The album was released on the WEA-(Warner/Elektra/Atlantic) international label. In the year 1995 I obtained at the Virgin Store in Amsterdam the Brazilian CD version of this album under the title HORIZONTE ABERTO, a Som Livre release. It was infact the only copy I ever saw in a store.
It‘s still amazing that Sergio Mendes recorded 2 completely different albums during a period of 6 months.

When I visit Rio de Janeiro in june 1981 I noticed a HORIZONTE ABERTO LP on the Som Livre label in the record stores and the Brasil ’88 LP under the RCA imprint.
Sergio was under contract between 1975 and 1979 by Elektra in the USA but in Brazil his albums were released under RCA.

So the Homecooking, and Brasil 88 albums were released as CD’s at BMG the company who owned RCA records nowdays. The New Brasil 77 CD was
released by Warner/Elektra Japan.

I ordered the MAGIC LADY CD by Amazon, just to get my Mendes collection
in place.

All the best
Aqua do Brasil

Mike Blakesley said:
I think you're right about the release dates Jon -- Harry will let us know for sure when he gets back from vacation.

I'm not on vacation for another two weeks - and, I'd never heard of MAGIC LADY or HORIZONTE ABERTO until I found this site in the late '90s.

So I'll go with Aqua do Brasil in his dates of the two. The theory makes the lyrics of "Adeus America" make some sense - saying essentially, "Farewell!" to America, giving up the "boogie-woogie" (dance music on MAGIC LADY) and heading back to Brazil and the wonders of its rhythms and culture.

Harry
..rumors of my vacation having been greatly exaggerated, online...

Thanks Aqua!! :)

I thought I might have had it backwards. Like Harry, I'll go with your dates. In reality, seeing as I didn't come across HORIZONTE ABERTO until quite a while after I'd bought MAGIC LADY, I really wasn't sure which came first. You're awesome!! Thanks for the clarification!!!

Jon

Jon -

I must admit, I haven't heard MAGIC LADY in its entirety since it was brand new. I just got the two-fer CD the other day and I plan to give it a 100% listen to see if my opinion might have changed (after all, I didn't used to like "Like a Lover" and now it's a favorite.) So who knows!

Sorry about the vacation mixup, Harry -- for some reason I thought it was this week you were gone. "D'oh"

I love both of them.I purchased Magic Lady on vinyl at Val Shively's ( a well known used record store) in the spring of 91. I bought Horizonte Aberto on cd from Jose Sierra's Samba Planet ( a now defunct mail order music store.) in the summer of 94.Jose Sierra is an old friend of mine and he's a personal friend of Sergio Mendes. He is one of my reliable resources on Sergio Mendes. Jose and I have had many discussions about Sergio in addition to Jose writing letters to me.

Cortnee said:
I love both of them.I purchased Magic Lady on vinyl at Val Shively's ( a well known used record store) in the spring of 91.

Heh! Val Shively is the fellow I've referred to in the past as "The Record Nazi" (patterned after Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi").

On the several occasions that I've visisted there, I was soundly reprimanded by Val for daring to bring him a list of records I wanted (he was MUCH too busy for this stuff!). Nevertheless, his minions managed to always find exactly what I wanted, every time.

As for the two-fer, I've searched several stores around here (Borders, Best Buy, Sam Goody), and no-one's got it. So I ordered it to arrive with the new WHIPPED CREAM disc from Amazon.

I'd done a vinyl drop of MAGIC LADY a few years ago, but have hardly played it, though I did dig it out for "Summer Dream" recently. That song always reminds me of the theme from THE LOVE BOAT!

Harry

Harry, when was the last time you have dealt with Val Shively? Today, Val Shively is a completely different person. I have been dealing with him for about 15 years now. When I have first dealt with him, Val was high maintenance. He seemed to be really stressedout for several years. However, in 1999 he became a born Christian when he had visited my church, which is right across the street from his store. These days, Val is much more mellow person, so perhaps you should visit him now. However, I don't care for a couple of his assistants.

if it weren't for Val Shively, I wouldn't even have my Sergio Mendes vinyl collection or my Brasi 66 45' sleeves. Val was courteous enough to supply me with a list of other used record stores located in the Philly area. one of them being The Plastic Fantastic Record exchange, sadly it closed down about a year ago.

It was probably 1997-98 that I last visited his store on Garrett Road. It's where I got Herb's "Mexican Drummer Man" and a few of the Dore Alpert 45s.

I miss Plastic Fantastic over in Ardmore. In fact, I was in Ardmore today looking around in the Sam Goody store. What a shadow of its former self that place is. Two and a half rows of CD racks are all that's left, with most of the store taken over by DVDs, and the CD racks that are there are not very full. It used to be that that place carried literally EVERYTHING.

Harry

The Plastic Fantastic Record Exchange was indeed THE FINEST in the tristate area. I used to go there and I would be browsing for HOURS. Have you ever been to the Princeton Record Exchange in New Jersey( another great store)?
In regards to Val Shively, I can recall a certain incident that occurred in his store during the summer of 97. I was in there looking for my usual Sergio Mendes stuff and this gentleman walks in with his huge lp collection trying to sell it to Val. Well, Val took a quick look at the LPS and said " Sorry, I can't buy them." The poor man stormed out after Val called the Lp collection " a pile of garbage".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom