• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Which headphones sound best for Carpenters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road Ode

I have been reading about the Carpenters for more than 40 years, and have visited every website I could find about them, but I have never posted anything anywhere about them. I chose to post here because it's the only site I have found that feels professional and doesn't have all the sniping and "Richard vs. Karen vs. Parents" garbage that is so meaningless and out of place (at least in my opinion). So, thanks to everyone who runs the site and all the members who post such positive and informative things.

This might sound crazy, but I listen to music most at my desk, so putting in some huge sound system is out of the question. I want to purchase new high-end headphones (last time I purchased was in the 80's) to listen to amazing vocalists. Carpenters have been my favorite since the first time I heard my parents play their Close To You album during a huge Labor Day/Back to School party held every year on our cul-de-sac, when I was, I think, 7 or 8 (I was born in June 1963). I remember hearing "Maybe It's You" and I stopped playing and went into the house to listen. My parents loved great voices and had a huge collection, but I had never heard someone sing like that. The voice on that album made me think and feel things I didn't understand how to explain at that age, and I don't think I have ever read a review that fully addresses all of the amazing things Carpenters did, and all of the qualities of her voice. If I ever figure it out, I might post someday. Until then, I am just hoping for some advice.

One aside, if you haven't listened to the SACD (The Singles 1969-1973) in surround sound, then get it and listen, even if you have to go to a sound system store - there is no greater Carpenters audio experience. Any chance they are going to do another compilation album of different songs as a supplement to this one? Or maybe do their best selling individual albums in SACD? Sorry about that, moving on.

I also love listening to Nat Cole, Dionne Warwick, Barbra Streisand, Johnny Mathis, Andy Williams,
Sarah Vaughn, older Tony Bennett, Nancy Wilson, Dinah Washington, Judy Garland, Ella Fitzgerald, Helen Forrest, Eartha Kitt, etc. Basically, I am hooked on great vocalists with amazing arrangements. I also listen to Opera (especially Maria Callas and Renee Fleming) and Classical

I have really sensitive ears, and any type of loud bass gives me a horrible headache, but since most headphones seem primed for bass (rock, hip hop, etc.) it's hard to really find a great set of headphones. So I would like to see if there are any audiophiles on here who have suggestions.

I know that a great pair of headphones will run me from what appears to be $500 to $1400, and I have saved up to purchase both the headphones and amp. Here is some info that might help:

1. I use a newer iMac with maxed-out RAM and storage
2. I listen almost exclusively to CD high-quality files (ALAC or FLAC, etc.), unless it's impossible, and have a growing collection of SACD quality files (I am slowly replacing regular CD's with these as they are available
3. I prefer over-ear headphones (closed or open style - whichever has the better sound)
4. I currently use the Bose 5.1 system made for computer hookup
5. I seem to be looking mostly at Sennheiser headphones from the reviews, like the Sennheiser HD800's, but I don't want to miss out on any other brand that might be better
6. I will listen to the contenders before buying

I have been researching this for months, and there is so much data that it's almost overwhelming. Here are the questions/problems I am having:

1. As mentioned earlier, most headphones seem primed to listen to rock, hip hop, and any other loud bass music
2. I think I am looking for something with amazing mid-range, to hear the voices, but I am not sure if that's right
3. I have been told that I might want to look for something that is flat across the spectrum and use an amp to adjust to what I want to hear, but I can't find anything in the headphone literature that mentions this quality or how to compare it

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

A couple of us here have had great success with the Sony MDR-6 headphones. They usually sell for under $100, but don't be put off by the price - they sound great. They are virtual twins with the Sony MDR-7506 professional headphones which are used heavily in the entertainment industry. All of the DJs at the radio stations I worked at used them, and they sound nice and flat across the audio spectrum, with just a little bump up in the upper end. If you have the ability, give them a try.

Harry

A couple of us here have had great success with the Sony MDR-6 headphones. They usually sell for under $100, but don't be put off by the price - they sound great. They are virtual twins with the Sony MDR-7506 professional headphones which are used heavily in the entertainment industry. All of the DJs at the radio stations I worked at used them, and they sound nice and flat across the audio spectrum, with just a little bump up in the upper end. If you have the ability, give them a try.

Harry

Thanks, Harry. From everything I read it was going to cost much more to find a great pair of headphones. I will definitely try these out first. Have you listened to the SACD on these, and if so, how did it sound?

Any chance they are going to do another compilation album of different songs as a supplement to this one? Or maybe do their best selling individual albums in SACD? Sorry about that, moving on.

I don't think that will happen as many (some think potentially all) of the Carpenters' first generation tapes tapes were lost in a fire at Universal a few years back.

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/threads/multi-channel-mixing-and-the-universal-fire.14200/#post-136257

The only other release on SACD is The Singles 1969-1973, which was released in Japan.

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/threads/question-relating-to-sacd.14161/#post-134452

Oh and welcome to the forum! :)

<<<I remember hearing "Maybe It's You" and I stopped playing and went into the house to listen. My parents loved great voices and had a huge collection, but I had never heard someone sing like that. The voice on that album made me think and feel things I didn't understand how to explain at that age, and I don't think I have ever read a review that fully addresses all of the amazing things Carpenters did, and all of the qualities of her voice. >>>

For not thinking you were sharing much – I think you hit on one of the most important facets of the Carpenters experience in that one sentence… Same such experience for me as well. I’ve mentioned it here before – but hearing that voice, as a 9 / 10 year old back in the day – it cut through everything else… The clarity, emotion, and sheer nuance of every syllable – along with those pristine arrangements – just opened my eyes (and ears) to what sensational music really is!

Thanks for posting!

Side bar: I was always lowering the base one-two notches and raising the treble one to two notches on our stereo as well! My siblings were “all about that base” – but I was all about hearing every detail and I never wanted the base to drown out all the magic…

Have a great week!

Thanks, Harry. From everything I read it was going to cost much more to find a great pair of headphones. I will definitely try these out first. Have you listened to the SACD on these, and if so, how did it sound?

The Sony MDR-V6's were instrumental in my hearing the differences between all of the different mixes in putting together the Carpenters Complete Recording Resource, so yes, somewhere in there I was listening to the SACD - of course only two-channels worth, but yes. Don't confuse the V6's with the V600's. They're totally different.

Amazon link here: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRV6-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/amcorne-20

Oh, one other minor issue is that the very comfortable over-ear pads tend to disintegrate over time - I'm talking at least a year or two in heavy use in a humid climate - but are easily replaced.

Harry

Harry, you should go into sales. AMAZON should give you a cut. I just bought mine for $89.99 at the site above. Get this somber/happy it delivers on Feb 4th.

Jeff

Harry, you should go into sales. AMAZON should give you a cut. I just bought mine for $89.99 at the site above. Get this somber/happy it delivers on Feb 4th.

Jeff

If you happened to click on the link above for Amazon, then Rudy, the site owner of A&M Corner will get a small cut. We try to get people to use the Amazon links we provide for things they're going to buy anyway in order to help with the costs associated with maintaining the site. So if you did that, then we all thank you!

PS, I hope the headphones work out well for you. I love mine so much I bought two!

Harry

Maybe I am doing this incorrectly, but I will try to do all the replies in one shot rather than post too often, so here goes:

newvillefan - Thanks for the info! I purchased/downloaded the Carpenters SACD - ALAC (iTunes compatible) and FLAC files - through HDTRACKS, as well as a few other singers I like. I am not endorsing that site in any way, and be careful you are really getting what you want because they are expensive, and the sample rates do vary.

newvillefan - I am probably showing my lack of knowledge here, but is it impossible to take the digital files already used for their remastered CD's and "upgrade" them? I know I am assuming a great deal, and again probably revealing my ignorance on this issue.

BarryT60 & OTHERS - From what I have read over the years, it seems like many people had something similar happen to them when hearing a Carpenters song/album, yet I have never read what I thought was even close to capturing the entire reason for why those sounds have such impact. People usually say something about it being "intimate," but many groups/singers/arrangers create "intimate" sounds, so that's capturing only a small part of the equation. All that to say, have you, or anyone else, read something that encapsulates the reason for the impact of that sound?

I don't think my experience was unique in any way. I have thought about it off and on for most of my life, and I could probably post something, but I am afraid it would be long, probably rambling, and would likely miss the mark for most people. I am not referring to the casual "I just broke up with my girlfriend/boyfriend and love some Carpenters' breakup songs," fans or "I like wallowing in pity and Carpenters' songs help with the wallowing," fans, or "I fantasize I went on a date with Karen/Richard" fans (although I am not knocking them - to each their own), but I am referring to those people who know/feel some kind of deep resonance with the songs (that combination of selection of songs/lyrics, arrangements, production values, vocal performance, et. al.) the Carpenters created. As you can see this already was rambling, so there's really no hope for me.

I have read what I think is most everything Richard has said on the subject, but he doesn't appear in any way to be a braggart, and much of what needs to be said he would be too embarrassed to fully explain because the superlatives are numerous. If anyone is wondering what I am talking about, just listen to other versions of Carpenters' songs by other artists and you will know what I mean. A good example might be "I Just Fall In Love Again" by Anne Murray and others. Anne's version is nice and was kept within the "required" time limits so it could be released as a single, but the song has so much less impact than the Carpenters' version. They took the time to create a masterpiece, and the impact is heard in every building-block of that song. Had it been sped up it would be a nice song, and Anne's went on to be a hit single, but Richard & Karen gave the song what it's notes and lyrics demanded, and in doing so created an experience that was too "long," and for many too "slow" to release anywhere but the album. The same holds true in many ways for "Tryin' to Get The Feeling," "I Can't Smile Without You," and others. I hope no one takes offense to what I am trying to say, and I am really attempting to be gracious about this, but if you need further proof, listen to Barbra Streisand (one of my favorite singers/performers and another great voice) sing perfectly but destroy the impact of "Close to You," and "We've Only Just Begun."

Harry/djn - This site is such a great resource and so well run that I doubt anyone would mind using Amazon links that help to maintain it. I use one sometimes to give to a charity we work with as well, and believe me Amazon doesn't give much back. Sites aren't cheap to begin with, and the enormous amount of personal time put into keeping one at a high level of quality is priceless. Thanks again for keeping this site up, running, and in great shape! I have been reading numerous Carpenters websites for years and it was the consistent quality here that made me finally post something.

KACE - Thanks for the welcome!

Done babbling. I apologize. Maybe I should have written this some time during the day.

It wasn't too long ago that I was searching for another set of headphones. I had the Sony MDR-V600 Dynamic Stereo Headphones for quite a long time, the ear pads were flaking off and visually didn't look nice but one of the speakers had a rattle, if I put them on and just stayed completely still they were fine but it I moved it would set off the rattle. There headphones were the best in my opinion. I still have them but have since replaced them with Sony MDR-V6 model (same as Harry's like above) which I feel even sound better. I like more treble in my music than bass so I can hear all the little details going on in my music and these headphones still give me the bass with perfect treble. I know there not the most expensive set but they sound great to me and they are super comfortable.

Oh Rode Ode.... You have my attention! Occasionally, we have written about certain songs and/or albums here - and you almost have used my exact words when referring to a masterpiece like I Just Fall In Love Again. I feel particularly fond of TTGTFA as well)...

But with I Just Fall - - from the first chords, and yes - that intimate delivery of Karen's the listener is taken on a journey that builds to that "ear-gasmic" crescendo that musically is simply not doubled in quality and sound by anyone - anywhere! I'm exhausted after hearing that one - with the volume up and particularly, if I hadn't heard it in a while...

Two of my all-time favorites, For All We Know and Only Yesterday move me for very different reasons... But we've all mentioned from time to time, that low note at the beginning of Only Yesterday, and the unwavering velvety allure of that voice, throughout the verses - is simply an addictive sound that I have not found from any other source.

This, the anniversary of Karen's death - is always such a sad day....

But today, this day - after reading your post, I am choosing to make today's remembrance more about appreciation, and the gratitude I have for having this singer, this group, this music, brighten and heighten my youth from the moment I heard that majestic combination of melody, orchestration, and of course, voice....

Thank you Karen - for the music. I'll close by borrowing a lyric from Mr. Bettis and a message Karen and Richard sent out the summer of '75....

Lying under barren skies
The light escaping from my eyes
Below the moon, walking down the avenue
I'm followed by the afterglow
The velvet rose of evening grows

Weary to be home again
Among the faces of my friends
The day is done, candles burning by the sea
Are waiting for me patiently
I wish the same for you

O my gay God! My Sony MDR-V6's just appeared UPS style and I listened to two songs. YOM from the SACD 5.1 2channel deal and KC solo Make Believe and I'm w/o words. The inflections the awe the diapers I'm gonna have to buy!

Thank you Harry!!!

Jeff

BarryT60 - "Rainy days and February 4th days always get me down." I posted on the Remembrance thread that this day always makes me think of the last few lines of "A Song for You."

djn - Maybe a little more diaper info than I was looking for (HA!), but I know the feeling. If you think YOM sounds amazing from the SACD 2-channel, please find someone/somewhere with full 5.1 setup (I'm sure Best Buy has one) and listen to the entire album, or at least maybe in this order before your friend or the store manager kicks you out: RDAM, WOJB, HEO, CTY, GTL, Superstar, TM, then whatever you can get away with. These versions are certainly the closest anyone today is going to get to a personal concert on a studio sound stage.

Back on the headphone idea, more questions -

How can some headphones claim they are 5.1 surround sound when they plug into a headphone jack?
Isn't it just some kind of interpolated surround?
Wouldn't you have to use a USB port to get 5.1? (this is what my Bose 5.1 iMac speakers use)
What is the sound quality of these "surround" headphones compared to others mentioned above?

Thanks!

I forgot to mention on my previous post that another thing I really like about these Sony MDR-V6 headphones is how they seem to block out background noise allowing you to really concentrate on the music. I'm sure they are not the best isolating headphones on the market but for this price tag, they are great in my opinion.

O my gay God! My Sony MDR-V6's just appeared UPS style and I listened to two songs. YOM from the SACD 5.1 2channel deal and KC solo Make Believe and I'm w/o words. The inflections the awe the diapers I'm gonna have to buy!

Thank you Harry!!!

Jeff

Glad they worked out. You have lots of happy listening ahead.

Harry

This 2 channel mix of 69-81 is nothing short of brilliant. Now I finally love I BELIEVE YOU sonically vocals b/get astonishing clarity. This experience is a FRESH TAKE on songs heard millions of times and counting. Arrangements superb like everything was just recorded. Perfection in mastering and noiseless omg. T 2 RIDE new. I've listened to the 5.1 numerous times and come away blown every time but here at Harry's urging I've discovered this 2 channel gem in these headphones no less. Just when you believed the o dubs were flawlessly in sync it's revealed lawless to be an understatement and Karen 's lead another revelation. Only Y eye popping clarity that I've searched the earth for. The catalog demands this tx immediately. With RD advancing and tapes burning time is of the upmost imperative urgency. This cannot be stressed enough. Follow the leaders and get SACD capable equipment these headphones and disc. If you're a true completion this us essential. If never another purchase to follow this alone is worth the effort time and value.

This passion can't be under emphasized. RC should cut me in. No really...Mr Postman detailed in everyway. Orgasmic aural experience.

Trust and obey

This 2 channel mix of 69-81 is nothing short of brilliant. Now I finally love I BELIEVE YOU sonically vocals b/get astonishing clarity. This experience is a FRESH TAKE on songs heard millions of times and counting. Arrangements superb like everything was just recorded. Perfection in mastering and noiseless omg. T 2 RIDE new. I've listened to the 5.1 numerous times and come away blown every time but here at Harry's urging I've discovered this 2 channel gem in these headphones no less. Just when you believed the o dubs were flawlessly in sync it's revealed lawless to be an understatement and Karen 's lead another revelation. Only Y eye popping clarity that I've searched the earth for. The catalog demands this tx immediately. With RD advancing and tapes burning time is of the upmost imperative urgency. This cannot be stressed enough. Follow the leaders and get SACD capable equipment these headphones and disc. If you're a true completion this us essential. If never another purchase to follow this alone is worth the effort time and value.

This passion can't be under emphasized. RC should cut me in. No really...Mr Postman detailed in everyway. Orgasmic aural experience.

Trust and obey
Okay - start from scratch... I only have bits and pieces of what I'd need etc... PM me with specifics... Sounds better than my i-phone 5 with crappy Walgreen's ear-buds... So, I'm in....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom