• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Which TJB song is the most unusual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAN BOLTON

Okay...it HAD to happen... we've had a very enlightening discussion regarding which TJB album is the most unusual...

Sooooooooo...now; which TJB SONG is the most unusual? Which song by the Brass stands out in your mind as the one you really wouldn't expect to sound the way it does; which arrangement was the most creative; off-the-wall; non sequiteur...etc.?

As an example, I'd liken what I'm looking for to be compared to CHRYSTAL ILLUSIONS by B66; if that helps...I have a couple of songs in mind that I'll divulge later; I want to know what you think. Which TJB song is the most unusual?

Dan

My main candidate for most unusual TjB song would be "Talk To The Animals". Essentially it's a TV soundtrack song that probably should have been left off of the album, like "Whistle While You Work" and "California Girls."

Had it been a straight instrumental version, it wouldn't be that unusual, but a vocal? By the group?

Harry
...who often skips that song, online...

Anything where there is that "whooshing, swirling" of vocals or just a vocalese... "Warm" and "Sandbox", both from the Warm album...

"Tijuana Taxi": Bits of it (especially the intro) sometimes get used for radio "Traffic Reports"...

I like "My Heart Belongs To Daddy"! Excellent melody and skillful improvasions and instead of "A-Banda", (Both from Herb Alpert's Ninth) IT should have been a hit! (Or just made it onto a single!)

Dave

I always thought "Carmen" was unusual. All those starts and stops, references to other songs, its length, made for a very different, to me anyway, TJB song. It's also one of my favorites.

My vote is "I'll Be Back" from BRASS ARE COMIN'. Also "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" from "GOING PLACES". Both tunes were completely overhauled to fit the Brass style and on a casual first listening, one might not realize what song they were hearing.

David,
who will undoubtedly think of more later........

"Zorba The Greek" has a pretty unusual melody and arrangement to it, too. There's that trumpet break in the middle of the song... And is that a Bouzouki, I hear? :confused:

Dave

I find "Treasure of San Miguel" quite unusual. It's probably a very traditional style somewhere in the world that I'm not familiar with, but it's very different to these ears. It reminds me of early Frank Zappa instrumentals like Peaches en regalia or something.

David O

Are you guys kidding? :D :D :D The obvious most unusual song is "Summertime." When you're looking for something that sounds almost nothing like the TJB, that wins hands down.

All of the other songs mentioned above are immediately identifiable as TJB records, but you'd have to be a real fan to nail "Summertime" as such (unless you were really familiar with Herb's voice).

I'm with Mr. Blakesley. In fact, that arrangement of "Summertime" is so damn strange that on first play I had no idea what song I was hearing. Sometimes I still don't.

Numero Cinco said:
I'm with Mr. Blakesley. In fact, that arrangement of "Summertime" is so damn strange that on first play I had no idea what song I was hearing. Sometimes I still don't.
That might make me change my vote- but it really sounds good now! Takes some listens!

Just thought of "A Taste Of Honey"-- Herb Alpert & TjB's instrumental really sticks out among all the vocal versions there are out there: by John Davidson, Mel Carter, Andy Williams, Chris Montez, Johnny Rivers, Kingston Trio, Shango, etc.

And I have a Country version by Floyd Cramer that "starts & stops" very much like Herb's does!

Dave

I'm with Mike B and Steve on "Summertime." Probably the only "TJB" tune I cannot listen to for more than a minute before skipping to the next track. With that in mind "Mexican Drummer Man" is a bit strange as well...

--Mr Bill

I seem to have left the impression that I dislike "Summertime." Not true -- it's not exactly a TJB favorite, but I never skip over it. The Herb trumpet solos are cool, especially that high note he hits near the end.

These are interesting choices. I had in mind CARMEN and ZORBA as my examples, but there are reasons for choosing each of the selections mentioned. I had forgotten about TALK TO THE ANIMALS...maybe it's better that way...

TIJUANA SAUERKRAUT has a lot of German influence...the waltz-like tempo and the chorus play homage to the European influence that a lot of people forget about when they think of Latin America. It's almost tejano in style. EL LOBO is also similar.

I was surprised that no one has touched on another of my picks, Herb's version of MOON RIVER...it has to be the most unusual arrangement of that song I've ever heard.

Any others?

Dan

I suppose it would have to be "Slick" from BOTB. To my young ears back then, it sounded so unlike HA/TJB - ahh, but it was so cool.

Steve

hi guys how you all doing? I was reading the posts of the unusual songs by the tjb. two comes to mind is Bud from the herb alpert's ninth and sandbox from the warm lp.
bob

Timeframe, I suggest that if you like "Slick," you look into Tamba 4's Samba Blim. They do an excellent cover, very laid back but in the pop spirit of Alpert.

Throwing my two cents into the eternal toll-taker, online...

Reading over this thread causes me to reflect on just how diverse and varied the Herb Alpert song list really is.

I would really have a hard time selecting a most unusual song. So many songs that are so different in sound and style and arrangement and feeling. One thing that Herb did at times was give an established song a completely new "twist" so to speak. So, I guess in that regard I'd give the nod to "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You." Anyone who knew this song in its original sound and style would certainly have been surprised to hear the TJB arrangement. I remember that the concert performance of the song had the original, slow trombone solo as Tommy Dorsey had intended in the original at both ends of the TJB version in between...

I'm at a loss to know what to say...and that usually isn't a problem for me, as my wife would say. :laugh:

Eh, flipping my "Sandbox" '45' over, I have to admit: Herb covering Harry Nillsson's "Without Her"...!! Augmented by the acoustic guitar and percussion, with even an organ inserted... And punctuated by a lot of his Trademark trumpet riffs...!

And did the TjB version come out before Blood, Sweat & Tears made a decision to cover it, too?!

"Maniac" is also unusual, too! Done as an instrumental to a lot of "Rhythm Machine" instrumentation; you don't get to hear much of Herb's trumpet playing on it...

Dave

According to the Nillson website, and cross-referencing several other web resources, Blood Sweat & Tears released the cover on their album Child Is Father To The Man in February of 1968.

HA/TJB's cover of this song debuted 7/19/69 on the album "Warm", BS&T was first.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom