• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Who are Sergio's singers in this clip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

It's "Brasil '85" this time. I'm pretty sure the blonde is Kevyn, but who are the other two girls?

I gotta say...I think the girls sound kinda lousy. :rant:

But I do love the spangly dresses and gams. Sergio's singers - at least early on - always wore pretty subdued duds. But those grandmotherly "Holly Hobbie" peasant dresses Geri, Gracinha and Karen wore when the group performed for Nixon were the worst!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieEALvsxWEc

I've never been a fan of the singing on Sergio's live recordings. To me it always sounds too forced. In the studio the singers sound so cool, especially on the Brasil '66 and '77 records ...whereas onstage they sound like they're just belting it out sometimes.

Sorry I can't answer your question on who the singers are!

Well it's at least Kevyn and Seidah--not sure if the third is Kate Markowitz, but I think so.

JMK said:
Well it's at least Kevyn and Seidah--not sure if the third is Kate Markowitz, but I think so.

Dear JMK.

The singer on the left is for sure Kate Markowitz.

Watch the great DVD ‘Live at the Coconut Grove’ from Lee Ritenoeur were she sings background vocals with Phil Perry.

She sings currently with James Taylor .

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil (AKA Sjef Nix)

And as I posted in another thread, she's the daughter of the guy who wrote the classic "Wild, Wild West" theme music!

Kate has a gorgeous voice, LcZ--she's on a ton of stuff (including Yutaka, IIRC). In fact I much prefer her to Kevyn. But like a lot of live Sergio (need we re-hash Expo 70, LOL?) sometimes the live performances just don't live up to the recorded ones.

You are so right about Sergio's live recording, Jeff. But I will say the live performance of B'77 "In Concert" has for me the definitive version of "Goin' Out of My Head". Gracinha and Geri (I think it's Geri) have an AMAZING harmony on it (that isn't quite matched in the rest of the album).

Speaking of 'live'...is the Bossa Rio Live at Expo '70" available on CD yet? (Much better than B'66 it Expo)

I have been looking forever for that album. I know someone who has the EP single, but never have heard the album. Does it sound good?

Bossa Rio is not yet out on CD, though some of us have CDRs made from our LPs. It's a fantastic album, augmented by both Manfredo Fest and Joao Donato on keys.

I've only ever heard a copy of the live Bossa Rio album, and it's good. Good enough that I too would love to own an official copy.

Harry

JMK said:
Kate has a gorgeous voice, LcZ--she's on a ton of stuff (including Yutaka, IIRC). In fact I much prefer her to Kevyn. But like a lot of live Sergio (need we re-hash Expo 70, LOL?) sometimes the live performances just don't live up to the recorded ones.

I actually discovered Kevyn after she went out on her own. I bought the "Another Season" CD and loved it. I had no idea when I started buying up her JVC discography, that she was part of the Sergio Brasil ensemble. I am not familar with Kate, but I would love to hear her.

The vocalists are (left to right): Kate (Yunai) Markowitz, Kevyn Lettau and Seidah Garrett.

Jon

I don't like it. I think it's the worst girls set-up front Mendes put together. They moved ackwardly and sounded not pleasing to my ears. But again, who asked for my opinion. It wasn't even the question asked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom