• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Who Are Those Guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numero Cinco

The exasperating thing about being a newcomer to such a site as this is you know you're asking a question, new for you, that's been asked by others hundreds of time before. Will that stop me? I think not.

Back sleeve, The Lonely Bull, bottom-left corner: a photograph of smilin' Herb and a band of mariachi musicians, one holding a huge guitar. Who are those guys? I can't believe that a one of them actually played anything on the record. They look straight out of central casting.

"This is Tijuana music . . . : So begins the blurb by "Hernando Cortez." Did Jerry Moss write that endorsement? If not, who did?

While on the subject: Who wrote the uncredited liner notes for Whipped Cream and Other Delights: the one about Herb's having a future on the silver screen, according to some Hollywood buzz?

They look straight out of central casting.

You could be right! I don't think they've ever been identified, but one thing we know is they are NOT the band.

I was about to say the liner notes for WC were written by Charles Champlin, a reporter for the LA Times; but I think I'm confusing it with GOING PLACES.

I was about to say the liner notes for WC were written by Charles Champlin, a reporter for the LA Times; but I think I'm confusing it with GOING PLACES.

Champlin is clearly credited for the GP liner notes and—if my memory serves—also for those on S.R.O. But I've never seen an authorship credit for the notes to WC&OD.

On the subject of the WHIPPED CREAM sleeve - I know there are two versions of the front floating about. One has A TASTE OF HONEY in a yellow font and the other titles in cyan. The other has all the titles in the same colour, which has more green in the font that the first version.

Anyone know why???

Different printing plants/press runs, undoubtedly. The thing sold millions of copies, but they all weren't manufactured at the same time or place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom