• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Who Are Those Guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numero Cinco

Tonight for the umpteenth time I was rockin' away with Herb's "Walk, Don't Run." I realize that such questions as the following take us into dark valleys of speculation, but for those with better trained ears than mine:

Who's playing drums on that cover?

And who's on electric guitar?

Whoever they are, they are freakin' terrific!

Numero Cinco said:
Tonight for the umpteenth time I was rockin' away with Herb's "Walk, Don't Run." I realize that such questions as the following take us into dark valleys of speculation, but for those with better trained ears than mine:

Who's playing drums on that cover?

Hal Blaine was the drummer. I met him a few years ago when he was hawking his "Wrecking Crew" book at a record show, and we talked about the TJB sessions he was on. "Walk, Don't Run" was one of the tunes, along with "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", "And The Angels Sing", "Third Man Theme" and "Mae" that he did on the Going Places!! album.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
Hal Blaine was the drummer. I met him a few years ago when he was hawking his "Wrecking Crew" book at a record show, and we talked about the TJB sessions he was on. "Walk, Don't Run" was one of the tunes, along with "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", "And The Angels Sing", "Third Man Theme" and "Mae" that he did on the Going Places!! album.

Thank you. Boy, was he good. Common to most of the tracks you name is hard-driving, or at least dramatic, percussion. "Getting Sentimental" and "The Angels" must have been covered on another day, in a mellow mood with brushes (though I know all these guys were so good that they could shift their styles on a dime, to match the arranger's intention).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom