• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Who is Sergio Mihanovich?

Status
Not open for further replies.
seashorepiano said:
...I guess I stumped people...

Eh, it's not that... Just that unfortunately "Sandra" seems to be more Popular & Well-Known than any "Sergio", among "Milanovich's"...

Interesting, though, how many other Nationalities there are who happen to be Residents of Argentina, Bolivia or Brasil--and South, maybe even Central America--for that matter...!

Dave

One of the funnier things *I* found online was an old Usenet discusson of "Some Time Ago" where some "expert" was pontificating that Sergio Mihanovich was Sergio Mendes' real name and that Sergio (Mendes, that is) had realized that Sergio Mihanovich & Brasil '66 just didn't cut it as a marketable name. :)

He was born 8 May 1937 in Buenos Aires and is a pianist, composer and singer. He is the uncle of Sandra Mihanovich. He started young at the piano writing classical pieces and "sonatinas". His music has been recorded by Bill Evans, Tony Bennet, Stan Getz, Jim Hall and Sergio Mendes. At the age of 13 his father schlepped the family to New York for 6 months where Sergio wrote his first English language composition Silly of Me. He is the only Argentinian artist to be featured in the Real Book of jazz standards. Some Time Ago is described as a "jazz waltz".

Who knew? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom