• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Whose version of "Brasilia" is best -- TJB or BMB?

Which version of "Brasilia" is best?

• Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • Baja Marimba Band

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I like them both the same

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • I can't tell; I haven't heard both versions

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Which version of the great song "Brasilia" do you like best, and why?

The Herb Alpert version, from the Tijuana Brass album WHAT NOW MY LOVE, or the earlier Baja Marimba Band version, from the album BAJA MARIMBA BAND RIDES AGAIN?

For the purposes of this poll, I decided not to worry about the subtle differences between the "original" TJB version (with trombone intro) and the currently-on-CD version without the trombone.

BMB's version has always been my favorite version.....the arrangement always seemed "busier", for better or worse....

Did we cover this once before? It seems as though this topic has been discussed to some extent in another thread.

Howsomever, I'll weigh in on the matter...I really don't have much of a preference. The two versions are both interesting to me...each conjures up an image that is valid in my mind...I see Julius' vesion as a street fair/parade, and Herb's version as a rush hour/gotta-get-to-work-on-time TIJUANA TAXI-style number. Since Julius' version was first, it seems only fair to see it as an example, and I always compared Herb's version to it. Truth be told, I always liked the BMB version a bit better, even with the added trombone riff in Herb's take. It's just a tad more colorful. I heard Herb's version first, but Julius has the better take, I think...maybe it's the fact that his version features the melody and chorus being played at the same time at the end.

And, there's only ONE version...

Dan

DAN BOLTON said:
Did we cover this once before? It seems as though this topic has been discussed to some extent in another thread.

Actually, it's come up several times. The most recent was here:

http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1809

As I did back then, I'll take the TjB's version first. It's the one I heard first, and the one that was used as the theme for a summer TV replacement game show, THE FACE IS FAMILIAR. And my preference would be for the fully-mixed version as found on MUSIC BOX.

That said, I like Julius' two recordings as well (don't forget the single version which is much faster and the added lively hoots 'n' hollers), but the TjB's seems more solid in its delivery. That BMB single version gets through the song in 1:40, a full minute ahead of the album version.

Let's also not forget an important point - Herb Alpert's involvement on the arrangement of ALL of the recordings. "Brasilia" is quite a song, and one of Julius' best.

Harry

You learn something from this site almost everyday. Today's lesson, for me: The BMB's single version of "Brasilia" was shorter and, apparently, snappier than that on their LP—the only one I ever knew.

In truth, the different arrangements make for very different, equally pleasurable listening experiences. Apart from their different tempos, the TJB version is, in a way, BMB's turned inside-out: main theme, trumpet (TJB) or marimba (BMB), over to the chorus on marimba (TJB) or trumpet (BMB).

That said, I'll go with Herb's version on What Now My Love:

1. The upbeat tempo works and gives everyone a real workout.

2. I admire Herb's quotation of "The Twelfth Street Rag" in his introduction.

3. I enjoy Julius's accompaniment behind Herb's cover of the main theme. As always, it supports, never overshadows, the lead, but has interesting doodlings.

4. If I correctly remember, the BMB version is played throughout in one only one key (C). The TJB version makes the interesting decision to keep kicking up the chord progression for the main theme (from C to Db) after returning to the same key (C) for the marimba chorus. Then, before the fade-out, Herb (actually, his bassist) leads the song into yet a third key. This lends variety to a monotonous main theme. Here I mean monotonous in the literal sense: the lead in the main theme is played in a single tone for twelve of its sixteen bars. It's the movement from harmony in thirds to seconds—in both BMB and TJB versions—that gives the ear something different to catch.

5. In Herb's version of the chorus's twelfth bar, the marimba trill/drumroll—followed by a six-beat break with nothing but bass decay—then resumption a tempo of the melody is, literally, an interesting change of pace, throwing more fun into the song.

6. I like Dan's description of Herb's take as "rush hour/hurry-up-gotta-to-get-to-work-on-time." Herb emphasizes that image by his forte "honks" on the unexpected fourth beat of the theme's second, sixth, and fourtenth bars (after he's played it "straight" the first time). Then, on the last key change before the fade-out, the horn-honks are kicked up an octave, which is even more unexpected.

Dem's my reasons. The BMB version remains valid, conjuring up a sleepy bordertown shuffle. The TJB take is "Brasilia" on amphetamines.

IMO, the TJB version is more energetic and aggressive; the BMB version is more laid back and relaxed...

They are just different. Depends on what sound/style you want to hear at any given time. I like them both.

I'll have to cast a vote for the Baja's. As was mentioned earlier, there have been previous discussions regarding TJB vs. BMB I actually started a poll several months ago

http://forum.amcorner.com/viewtopic.php?t=5303&highlight=

I truly enjoy the TJB, but for extended periods of listening, I think I prefer the BMB. I don't suspect we'll ever see them, but I'd love for BMB to get the cd treatment. Collector's Choice put together a nice compilation. They also put out many 2lps-on-1cd releases, so maybe there is hope.

Another excellent version was one that I first heard on an old Sears/Command lp from the 60's. It featured guitarist Tony Mottola and brass section doing this song. It was excellent, and the fidelity was top-notch(that would explain why it was on the Sears/Command demonstration lp).

I knew we'd discussed "Brasilia" extensively in the past but couldn't find a poll on it, hence this one. I did forget about the single version though....(have never heard it). :oops:

I voted for the BMB's -- it's more fun (either version) and seems to have a lot more going on in it.

Ideally, this poll would've been different if we had these choices:
TJB boned veresion
TJB boneless version
BMB original
BMB uptempo 45 version
can't decide -- they're all good
can't decide -- I haven't heard all these version

With those choices I may have gone with TJB's BONED version...

--Mr Bill
who's taking his grandfather-in-law's T-Bone in for servicing and cleaning to see if it is still playable... Any advice, Cap'n B???

I gave the TJB's version - WITH trombone - a slight edge over the BMB original version. I also have the faster 45 of the BMB, but I like that the least. Too busy for my ears.

Capt. Bacardi

Mr Bill said:
...who's taking his grandfather-in-law's T-Bone in for servicing and cleaning to see if it is still playable... Any advice, Cap'n B???

The big question is what condition is the slide in? It's possible to have the slide refinished (as I've done with mine) and to make sure any dinks and dents are popped out in both the inner and outer slides. If you know of a reputable brass repairman you should check it out. I got my inner slide refinished for about $100, so it was worth it. I had some rust develop on the bottom end of the slide, which caused mine to stick a bit. But it's fine now. What make/model is it?

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi said:
The big question is what condition is the slide in? It's possible to have the slide refinished (as I've done with mine) and to make sure any dinks and dents are popped out in both the inner and outer slides. If you know of a reputable brass repairman you should check it out. I got my inner slide refinished for about $100, so it was worth it. I had some rust develop on the bottom end of the slide, which caused mine to stick a bit. But it's fine now. What make/model is it?

Strad Mark Vii (or Vi). Serial # 932

The brass repair guy at the shop was in love with it the moment he saw it. The slide is in outstanding condition -- he was amazed at how smooth it worked for a 70+ year-old instrument. Minimal wear/corrosion inside the tubes (the most common problem with vintage horns this old according to him). He said he knew it was a vintage instrumnet before he read the serial number because of the smaller bell that was common in the 1920s/30s. (My grandfather-in-law used to play in the orchestra pit at silent movies). Three small dents on the bell and no cork on the spit valve. Needs a good shine/buff out. Refurbishment will be $50 to $70. A far cry from the clarinet which cost me $180 to refurbish...

After it's done I'll likely take some lessons. At my age I'm not sure what the point will be -- maybe just to get used to read a bass clef staff and learn the 7 positions and get a tone of some sort...

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Strad Mark Vii (or Vi). Serial # 932

Wow, cool horn! Sounds like the slide is in better shape than mine. I wouldn't worry about the dents in the bell, it won't affect the playing. I have some dings in my bell, and I just consider those war stories. :D I have one ding that I got while opening for Carmen McRae, and another when I got to play with Bobby Shew. One other was when I was in a big band and we played on Bourbon Street. Lots of memories there.

I think it would've been neat to play in an orchestra for those silent movies, although it would probably get redundant after a while. Still, a gig is a gig. :cool:

Capt. Bacardi

The good Cap'n B said:
Wow, cool horn! ...and another when I got to play with Bobby Shew.

Was it <edsullivan mode on> a "really big shew" ??? <edsullivan mode off>

The brass guy was (no pun intended) jazzed and called out to the other guy in the shop, "Hey I got a Strad here with a three-digit serial!!!"

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
The good Cap'n B said:
Wow, cool horn! ...and another when I got to play with Bobby Shew.

Was it <edsullivan mode on> a "really big shew" ??? <edsullivan mode off>

:laugh: Sort of. It was at the Bass Concert Hall here at the University of Texas. Not sure of the capacity there, probably around 1000 or so. Great time. Shew was a riot offstage. We all went to a party afterwards and had a great time. At least I was - I was hitting on every chick at the party and Bobby was trying to get me to find one for him as well. :D Let's just say that he was no-hit that night and I hit for the cycle. :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
...with some baseball jargon online...

Actually since there were three versions of this song, the poll question should have listed two versions by the BMB and one by The TJB. I like the single version by the the Baja Marimba Band best. Yes it is short, but that may be part of its charm, it gives you the song in a quick "fix."

TallPaul said:
Actually since there were three versions of this song, the poll question should have listed two versions by the BMB and one by The TJB. I like the single version by the the Baja Marimba Band best. Yes it is short, but that may be part of its charm, it gives you the song in a quick "fix."

I forgot about that version! A 45 RPM b-side. Should we add it to the poll?

Rudy said:
TallPaul said:

I forgot about that version! A 45 RPM b-side. Should we add it to the poll?

Nah - since several have already voted, a new poll should be started with all of the versions listed:

BMB single
BMB album
TJB with bone
TJB without bone

And, if we really wanted to be thorough, how about the two album versions in mono?

Harry

I think it'd be easy to predict the results of a new poll as suggested by Harry.

- Most people would vote for the boned TJB Brasilia
- The boneless TJB Brasilia would take 2nd place because that's the most common CD version
- The BMB's LP version would come in 3rd because that's their most common version
- The TJB's mono versions would tie for 4th because the majority of people don't have (or don't like) mono
- The BMB's fast 45-RPM version would come in last because it isn't as common as the other versions.

Maybe we should do a poll on whether or not we should do another poll! :D

Poll #2,549: "Should We Do Another Poll"?

[ ] No
[ ] No way

Please vote. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom