Why did Herb use his son's name in his early recordings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgarvin

Herb recorded some early vocals under the name DORE Alpert (DORE = "Do Re") (see "Fallout Shelter" discussions on another thread). My understanding his that Herb had a son named Dore from his first marriage. What I was wondering was if the son Dore was already born when Herb did his Dore recordings (i.e. did Herb release the songs in his son's name to "honor" him) or was the son born later and Herb just liked the name. BTW, one of the old Osborne record guides said that Dore Alpert was Herb's brother, something we know is wrong. That same book listed an alternate B-side to "Lonely Bull" as "Ride Ride Ride" (45 with a "script label") and that remains a mystery.

Dore, the son, was born after Herb used that name on his early recordings. Herb just liked the name Dore, which was part of the musical alphabet (do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do), which is why he named his son that name.

Capt. Bacardi

I'm not suire what the musical term "Aria" means but it's definitely a beautiful name!!!!!! Funny enough, I was playing Hangman and I was doing things relating to music and I was trying to guess a four-letter word and was wrong on all my guesses. It turned the answer was "Aria".
I think Aria Alpert is an actress though I'm not sure if I've seen anything she's been in!!!!

Rent Sooper Troopers and you'll see her as the Waitress. Her scenes were trimmed extensively, but you can see them in the DVD's bonus material...

--Mr Bill

alonely bull in paradise said:
I'm not suire what the musical term "Aria" means but it's definitely a beautiful name!!!!!!

In musical terms, an aria is a composition for a solo voice. Many operas contain an aria within. According to the Harvard Dictionary of Music the aria is defined as: "An elaborate composition for solo voice (occasionally for two solo voices) with instrumental accompaniment. The aria figures prominently in the cantatas and oratorios of the 17th and 18th centuries and in opera up to the end of the 19th century except for the Wagnerian type." It then goes into a two page history lesson about the types of arias, criticisms of arias and a list of the more well-known arias in classical music, none of which I'm willing to retype!

Capt. Bacardi

She has a scene in THINGS BEHIND THE SUN, too, with her mother's new version of "Mas Que Nada' in the soundtrack.

Harry

Captain Bacardi said:
Dore, the son, was born after Herb used that name on his early recordings. Herb just liked the name Dore, which was part of the musical alphabet (do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do), which is why he named his son that name.
You're correct on that score, I knew that from reading trivia books.

Although this begs the question: Who or what was the late studio executive and playwright Dore Schary named after?

Not sure as to the background of Dore Schary,but according to one of those babyname websites,the name "Dore" has a Greek origin,given to males,meaning "gift".
Interesting to note that for musician Andre Previn Dore Schary was his boss while Previn produced music for MGM films. Dory Previn was the name of Andre's first wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom